MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

Funny how Self is now selling going back to the 3:2 motion, with Garrison and Dickinson going more high-low, when he has been selling the 4:1 and 5-out to get the shooters and Dickinson the last few years. Completely changing what he does and who he's been at the core just to recruit a player or two to his roster.

As it's been discussed with PM, I'm a believer a coach should modify his game plan or system to match his roster abilities. But Self is completely selling out just to get the roster.
Self adapts as well as any coach in the sport. His preference has always been having two bigs but he adjusted based on need and won a national championship playing four around one. He isn’t selling out to get one player, certainly not Garrison. They played two bigs all this season; Adams doesn’t spend time on the perimeter and has never attempted a three in his career.

Unless Self is just losing it, I find it hard to believe he would go back in time. 3:2 motion seems antiquated when today's game is based on spacing and shooting.
If you have three really good shooters and a dominant post, plus a good four man, the spacing will still be fine. And he will definitely be looking for shooters.

Do you believe playing BG along side HD is a good idea?? If so, you're alone. Hopefully BG sees through that BS that Sepf is trying to sell him.
I believe Self can coach and BG will be successful at KU. The reality is he has a better chance of being successful under Self at KU than Moser at OU.

We get it.
Get what? I’m not a homer. I would take Bill Self and his 3:2 offense with Garrison and Dickinson over whatever role Moser would have BG in. 🤷🏻‍♂️

What would BG do in Moser’s offense that Godwin or Northweather couldn’t do? The only successful big man in Moser’s offense was Krutwig. I don’t know much about him but I do think he and BG are much different players.

If you have three really good shooters and a dominant post, plus a good four man, the spacing will still be fine. And he will definitely be looking for shooters.
Agreed, that it can work. But a lot of your position on offense depends on who you can guard on defense. Garrison is 6'11 245lbs, Dickinson is 7'2 260. KJ Adams is 6'7 230 lbs. They can out-size/out-talent a lot of teams, but against the best teams I'm not seeing a Garrison/Dickinson frontcourt work on defense. Too slow, can't get out on the perimeter, will lose the variance battle if teams get hot from 3.

Get what? I’m not a homer. I would take Bill Self and his 3:2 offense with Garrison and Dickinson over whatever role Moser would have BG in. 🤷🏻‍♂️

What would BG do in Moser’s offense that Godwin or Northweather couldn’t do? The only successful big man in Moser’s offense was Krutwig. I don’t know much about him but I do think he and BG are much different players.
He is more athletic than both, so his rim rolling presence will open up a lot. He can play above the rim too. Showed a little pick n' pop game at Okstate which will help against defenses who play a drop coverage. He is a better passer than Sam too

He is more athletic than both, so his rim rolling presence will open up a lot. He can play above the rim too. Showed a little pick n' pop game at Okstate which will help against defenses who play a drop coverage. He is a better passer than Sam too
All of this. Godwin and Northweather are screeners who can put down one dribble, with very little rolling after the screens. Garrison can at least roll to the rim and finish.

lol since Hugley is rumored to be thinking about portaling, here’s a text convo I had when he came into picklemans while I was there. This was March 6th so he was already injured and likely done for the year. (I’m not accusing anyone of foul play, just think it’s funny)

Attachments

• IMG_3344.jpeg
    IMG_3344.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 62
Agreed, that it can work. But a lot of your position on offense depends on who you can guard on defense. Garrison is 6'11 245lbs, Dickinson is 7'2 260. KJ Adams is 6'7 230 lbs. They can out-size/out-talent a lot of teams, but against the best teams I'm not seeing a Garrison/Dickinson frontcourt work on defense. Too slow, can't get out on the perimeter, will lose the variance battle if teams get hot from 3.
I haven’t seen enough of Garrison to know how he is defensively. I know Hunter’s defense was definitely an issue, and defense in general was an issue for KU once McCullar was hurt. That and depth and shooting were killers for them. If Adams comes back, he will definitely start, and in that scenario, I struggle to see how Garrison would be a fit.

lol since Hugley is rumored to be thinking about portaling, here’s a text convo I had when he came into picklemans while I was there. This was March 6th so he was already injured and likely done for the year. (I’m not accusing anyone of foul play, just think it’s funny)
Haha he was just celebrating the big Cincy win with the weed and pizza! 🤣🤣

We can’t keep doing this!

Ku didn’t have shooters this year and no depth
And a lot of that is on Self for some recruiting misses, or guys not panning out to their hype. Might be news to some of those on the board, but PM isn't the only one that didn't develop incoming talent to their potential this year.

By all projections, they had 3PT shooters and depth. Everyone would have thought that McCullar, Furphy, Timberlake, and Jackson, along with Harris at the top, would be a strong outside threat as a group. It didn't pan out quite as expected. Some of that may be blamed on the Morris situation, but he had like 10 guards on the roster, so depth shouldn't have been an issue. But he did severely miscalculate his needs and depth on the front line, at least how it was reflected in the roster makeup.

Just think, KU had one fewer loss than us on the season, two years removed from a NC and, if correct, with 10 4 & 5-star recruits/MCDAA/top 100 players on the roster.

I find it highly unlikely a school would risk being caught tampering for Hugley of all players lol.

Back