Missouri might be the Big 12 favorite next season...

I agree. I'm still not a huge fan of Anderson either. He'll put together some good teams, just not sure he'll ever have a top 2 in the Big 12 team. I don't think that style plays well against upper talent.

Yep. I mean nobody on that starting 5 scares me at all. And Laurence Bowers and Justin Safford are the bigs on a top 2-3 Big 12 team? Uhhh, no.
This is more ABD hyperbole. :)

Mizzou just doesn't impress me that much.

Shocking, Mr. Jayhawk.

Not one of those guys are 1st or 2nd team all league guys to me.

Kim English.

Regarding KU, I think they will be loaded next year and compete for another national championship.

See first response.

I agree. I'm still not a huge fan of Anderson either. He'll put together some good teams, just not sure he'll ever have a top 2 in the Big 12 team. I don't think that style plays well against upper talent.

Wrong.

And Laurence Bowers and Justin Safford are the bigs on a top 2-3 Big 12 team? Uhhh, no.

Good post players, great guards, experience, great coaching = top 2-3 team.

Missouri has a lot of similarities to Mike Leach at Texas Tech or Air Force in football. They will have trouble building a dynasty with that style of play- although Arkansas did it for a short period in the SEC. But it is tough to prepare for them in a tournament format- especially if you are playing them with only one day's preparation.

I would certainly not count them out of finishing in the top 2 or 3 of the league next year. They finished 2nd last year and I bet they end up top 4 this year. Mike Anderson has built something strong and although his talent is not up to the level on paper of Kansas, Texas, OU, A&M, KSU, OSU or Baylor, his teams play so aggressive that it neutralizes the talent/size disparity.

Yeah I was about to say, didn't Mizzou finish in the top 3 of the league last year and advance to the elite 8? That seems like a pretty good season to me.

Yeah I was about to say, didn't Mizzou finish in the top 3 of the league last year and advance to the elite 8? That seems like a pretty good season to me.

Smoke and mirrors, clearly...

Anderson finished 3rd ("top 2" was a convenient cutoff for the jayhawk...) last year with a collection of guys most Big 12 coaches wouldn't have offered out of high school. Now he's bringing in top 50 players and he's going to struggle to replicate that...

For what it's worth, everyone around the Mizzou program seems pretty optimistic that Mitchell will qualify. If he for some reason doesn't, however, MU's got a pretty solid backup plan. We are on Ratliffe's list of top schools (this despite not even having a scholarship at the moment). If Mitchell doesn't qualify (or if someone transfers, which seems like a more likely scenario), there's a good chance Ratliffe ends up in Columbia.

Missouri has a lot of similarities to Mike Leach at Texas Tech or Air Force in football. They will have trouble building a dynasty with that style of play- although Arkansas did it for a short period in the SEC. But it is tough to prepare for them in a tournament format- especially if you are playing them with only one day's preparation.

I would certainly not count them out of finishing in the top 2 or 3 of the league next year. They finished 2nd last year and I bet they end up top 4 this year. Mike Anderson has built something strong and although his talent is not up to the level on paper of Kansas, Texas, OU, A&M, KSU, OSU or Baylor, his teams play so aggressive that it neutralizes the talent/size disparity.

Air Force? You're comparing Mizzou to a service academy? Really?

Texas Tech hasn't been able to sustain success beyond the 7-8 win mark. But the same basic philosophies have won BCS bowls and national titles at multiple other schools. Texas Tech under Leach wasn't stuck at the 8 win range because they ran a gimmicky system. They were stuck because they were Texas Tech. If you want to go with the idea that Mizzou is a basketball equivalent of Texas Tech, that's your opinion...

Arkansas went to three final fours in the 90s and were one of the winningest programs of the 90s. Things did go downhill... but that's not unusual for coaches who are in their 60s, especially when they lose the support of their university for non-basketball related issues.

There's going to be some big time teams (Arkansas, maybe?) coming after Anderson in the next few years.

It will happen. He could be at Memphis, Georgia or Alabama right now (and would quite possibly be making more money right now, too), but he chose to stay at Missouri. He's known Bowers and Pressey since they were infants. He's not going to leave for more money and leave those two behind. If he were going to go, he'd be gone by now. I don't doubt there will be some Arkansas interest at some point, but they're no more of a "big time" program now than Mizzou. I doubt he'd want to go back there after how things ended for Richardson, anyway.

Last edited:
I've always thought Mizzou had as good a basketball tradition & fan base as any in the Big XII excluding KU.

Texas Tech in football on the other hand only has a tradition because they played in SWC.

I really hate KU but I know for a fact they are gonna be the best team in the league next year unless they have like 8 to10 players out for the year.

I really hate KU but I know for a fact they are gonna be the best team in the league next year unless they have like 8 to10 players out for the year.

Yes. And as long as Bill Self stays around I'll be surprised if KU doesn't win the Big 12 title at least 8 of the next 10 years. He'll go down as a legend.

Yes. And as long as Bill Self stays around I'll be surprised if KU doesn't win the Big 12 title at least 8 of the next 10 years. He'll go down as a legend.

Do you think Bill Self will ever coach at Oklahoma State?

Yeah, I think you said that this year as well. :ez-laugh:

Top 2-3 would've been a hilarious prediction if MU wasn't currently tied for third in the Big 12... and a missed layup away from #2.

Do you think Bill Self will ever coach at Oklahoma State?

No.

Top 2-3 would've been a hilarious prediction if MU wasn't currently tied for third in the Big 12... and a missed layup away from #2.
If you can't make layups you aren't going to win the Big 12. It's that simple.
No excuses. I'm just not that impressed with their team.

If you can't make layups you aren't going to win the Big 12. It's that simple.
No excuses. I'm just not that impressed with their team.

I'll repeat it.

Mizzou is in third place in the Big 12 right now.

It doesn't matter if you're impressed with them. A prediction of a top 2-3 finish for Mizzou is not a bad one at this point in the season, as they are in the top 2-3.

Yeah, I'm the only one around here NOT biased about KU. I speaketh the truth.
:ez-laugh:

As an aside, there is no such thing as being unbiased. Human beings cannot possibly be unbiased.

I would be willing to bet that no team in any of the six power conferences wins 8 out of 10 conference championships in the next 10 years. And yes that includes the mighty Kansas. Look at North Carolina this year.

Yeah, I'm the only one around here NOT biased about KU. I speaketh the truth.

Yea, I did say that this year... They are 19-7, 7-4, and 4th place in the Big 12 being led by 3 sophomores.

I would be willing to bet that no team in any of the six power conferences wins 8 out of 10 conference championships in the next 10 years. And yes that includes the mighty Kansas. Look at North Carolina this year.

Well, KU is about to wrap up 6 out of the last 7. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. Especially with a conference that is split into two divisions and the best team is in the weaker division.

Self is 89-18 in Big 12 play for .826%.

Back