Mustang Basketball Coach Resigns

PCO has been bad the last five years since the convict Clark graduated. Next time you see the guy ask him to name two. In the last seven years boys basketball has gotten one player that wasn't in 8th grade at Union and he was the son of an assistant coach at TU and they moved in from Georgia. I asked a football coach and they have gotten one new player in five years that started. He has been at Union for five years so that is the extent of his knowledge. Don't know about the other sports so I would like to know names. This is one time I am not pulling your chain, ha.

PCO has been bad the last five years since the convict Clark graduated. Next time you see the guy ask him to name two. In the last seven years boys basketball has gotten one player that wasn't in 8th grade at Union and he was the son of an assistant coach at TU and they moved in from Georgia. I asked a football coach and they have gotten one new player in five years that started. He has been at Union for five years so that is the extent of his knowledge. Don't know about the other sports so I would like to know names. This is one time I am not pulling your chain, ha.

So, you confirmed they have move ins. Thanks.

Hell I tried to change it to talk about the new staff and some people are hell bent on continuing on some other path.

Well it is pretty much widely known that Terry was a big time recruiter and now Mustang will be back to normal and have a coach that no one really cares about.

That is what we have learned from this thread haha.

Reading this thread from start to finish would be considered Level 3 torture in Putin's gulags.

Well it is pretty much widely known that Terry was a big time recruiter and now Mustang will be back to normal and have a coach that no one really cares about.

That is what we have learned from this thread haha.

As you said, we should probably shut this down as Jenks and Union have fought this stigma for years. It's different when it's actually you.

No matter how anyone wants to spin it, their minds can't be changed.

As you said, we should probably shut this down as Jenks and Union have fought this stigma for years. It's different when it's actually you.

No matter how anyone wants to spin it, their minds can't be changed.

There seems to be a feeling we should shut this thread down now that not much is being accomplished. To be honest, I have felt that way for sometime, but didn't want to interfere as long as the topic was important to our members. Besides, it's still the preseason and we haven't been too busy to leave it on the front page.

In lieu of closing the thread, I'll simply move it to the Campus Corner forum so you guys can continue the discussion over there if you want.

Kids transferring high schools...the horror.
My gut reaction is that it would be better if kids didn't regularly switch schools, but the more I think about it, the less I care.

Here's the big question: what's the real harm? That type of instability probably isn't ideal for their academic and social development, but in many of these instances kids are transferring into significantly better academic situations. For the kids getting left behind at the previous school, it's a bummer to lose one of your most talented teammates, but that's far from a catastrophe. If winning--or failing to win--a state championship or make the playoffs as a high school basketball player defines someone's life, then that person has much bigger issues.

It seems like these rules are in place primarily to placate coaches and parents who are far too obsessed with maintaining competitive balance in what is nothing more than a recreational activity for the overwhelming majority of high school athletes. If the kids with a shot at the next level want to switch schools to give themselves a better chance, then I don't see the big problem. Unless there is evidence that the free agency of high school athletes is a significant detriment to academic development, I don't think it's enough of a "problem" to waste additional funds on heavier regulation and enforcement.

Reading this thread from start to finish would be considered Level 3 torture in Putin's gulags.
We can talk about gulags. I've never been in the gulags, but Putin has said nice things about them. The Russian gulags are tremendous. They're bigly.

My gut reaction is that it would be better if kids didn't regularly switch schools, but the more I think about it, the less I care.

Here's the big question: what's the real harm? That type of instability probably isn't ideal for their academic and social development, but in many of these instances kids are transferring into significantly better academic situations. For the kids getting left behind at the previous school, it's a bummer to lose one of your most talented teammates, but that's far from a catastrophe. If winning--or failing to win--a state championship or make the playoffs as a high school basketball player defines someone's life, then that person has much bigger issues.

It seems like these rules are in place primarily to placate coaches and parents who are far too obsessed with maintaining competitive balance in what is nothing more than a recreational activity for the overwhelming majority of high school athletes. If the kids with a shot at the next level want to switch schools to give themselves a better chance, then I don't see the big problem. Unless there is evidence that the free agency of high school athletes is a significant detriment to academic development, I don't think it's enough of a "problem" to waste additional funds on heavier regulation and enforcement.

I think originally it was academics - Issue of transferring files and making sure a kid was actually eligible. But it was not as prevalent then. Now with AAU ball worries start to come in on paying players ( it happens maybe not in Oklahoma).

I think some of the main reason, and its the reason I like the no transfer rules is keeping High School sports about the school itself. When you go to a school district for all grades you take a since in pride into it and learn a commitment. When you school jump, for the sake of sports, how much pride or attachment due you have to that team.

No I can see going from a 3A school to 6A for more competition argument (not putting down 3A). But going from a 6A to another 6A if rough.

What about the kid who is good enough to play high school basketball but gets cut from his team due to other players transferring in. Will he now have to transfer? Can be a long cycle.

There appears to be this underlying assumption that students transfer schools for no reason other than athletics. Is that the motivation for some transfers? Sure, but there are a lot of kids who move for reasons other than sports. But there are also kids who move from district to district because their parents get new jobs or because they're renters who may not have the luxury of staying in one place for a long time. At one point in my childhood, my family moved four times in five years.

How do you draw a distinction between students transferring for athletic reasons and those transferring for other reasons? I can only imagine the amount of money wasted on "investigating" high school transfers.

By attempting to stop students from transferring for athletic reasons, you're inevitably going to penalize kids whose transfers have nothing to do with sports. You're cutting off one of the avenues for them to build new friendships as well as whatever other benefits you think sports confer on children.

I think some of the main reason, and its the reason I like the no transfer rules is keeping High School sports about the school itself.
What is the school itself? The building, the teachers, the parents? Adults who base too much of their self-worth on success in children's sports? High school sports should be about the students, not institutions.

As an admittedly extreme example, ask Penn State or the Catholic Church about what can happen when you prioritize institutions over individual children.

What about the kid who is good enough to play high school basketball but gets cut from his team due to other players transferring in. Will he now have to transfer? Can be a long cycle.
Of course he doesn't have to transfer. High schools are supposed to be academic institutions, not athletic programs. You don't have to play a sport to get a high school education.

If your kid gets cut from a high school team, then he probably doesn't have much of an athletic career beyond high school. But if it means that much, then fine: find a new school. I prefer that to taxpayer dollars being wasted--directly or indirectly--on investigating the validity of the reasons for a kid transferring high schools. Step back and consider the absurdity of that.

"How do you draw a distinction between students transferring for athletic reasons and those transferring for other reasons? I can only imagine the amount of money wasted on "investigating" high school transfers.+

Valid point. Not sure how do deal with it. I will give you a crazy example from quite a few years ago. A player from a Tulsa school Transferred to Bartlesville so he would become the starting running back. No connection to Bartlesville. After 2 days he transferred to Booker T Washington ( at the time was not a magnet school). The whole point of transferring to Bartlesville was that Tulsa schools had to sign off on the transfer. They allowed him to go to B'ville but not Washington. He never moved from Tulsa school district. Just away around system. This is what some people worry about.

"By attempting to stop students from transferring for athletic reasons, you're inevitably going to penalize kids whose transfers have nothing to do with sports. You're cutting off one of the avenues for them to build new friendships as well as whatever other benefits you think sports confer on children."

They can transfer all they want, they don't have to play sports at the new school. This also applies to the Pom Pom squad as had a friend family that had to almost sue to allow to transfer and participate in pom.

"What is the school itself? The building, the teachers, the parents? Adults who base too much of their self-worth on success in children's sports? High school sports should be about the students, not institutions."

I meant growing up together going to the same school, playing with the friends you played little league with. I know people will move in, but there is always something about the bond growing up going to high school games then with luck you get to play on the same field.

"If your kid gets cut from a high school team, then he probably doesn't have much of an athletic career beyond high school."

You can say the same thing about the player that has to transfer to another school to win or get noticed. If he/she was good enough, they will be noticed anywhere.

Back