New ARENA as part of entertainment District

Is this a proposal or a done deal?

The article said the city council will need to vote. Boulder mentioned the financing is a done deal. So perhaps it will be done in a way more amicable to those who had reservations.

The article said the city council will need to vote. Boulder mentioned the financing is a done deal. So perhaps it will be done in a way more amicable to those who had reservations.

The Norman City counsel isn’t usually aligned with OU and are sometimes almost adversarial, it seems. Hopefully this gets approved.

The Norman City counsel isn’t usually aligned with OU and are sometimes almost adversarial, it seems. Hopefully this gets approved.

I don’t think 2017 was about OU, it was more about perceived failures of what the UNP became and perhaps a fear that the proposed entertainment would again fail to live up to expectations at a great cost to the city. But with the SEC and more visitors to town in the fall, it could be more viable. Plus, it sounds like more funding is available. It could be a blessing for the city that it ended up waiting in terms of quality of surrounding entertainment.

the Norman city council was part of the process this time (including the mayor) every step of the way ..

I think this is a complete done deal with the required votes being a formality ..

What do you think the seating will be?
I hope no more than 8,000.

What do you think the seating will be?
I hope no more than 8,000.

I will be very surprised if it is much under 10k

this was the old plan

The 2017 proposal included a 10,000-seat arena with 800 club seats, 30 loge boxes, 20 luxury suites, 12 regular suites and 2,600-lot parking garage.

It's way down on the list of concerns, I'm sure, but any thoughts on how to get the students to the games?

Maybe a shuttle bus will do the trick, since there's more to attract the students than just the games.

Gabe Ikard asked people on Twitter why some folks don't like the idea of this arena. A few dozen have responded:

1. Taxes
2. Too far from campus.

Can anyone confirm that most of the money is coming from private funds and not tax?

The primary gripe with the first proposal was related to private people making money off of primarily the city’s funds.

Can anyone confirm that most of the money is coming from private funds and not tax?

The primary gripe with the first proposal was related to private people making money off of primarily the city’s funds.

the taxes don't exist unless this is all built ..

it is not a tax on people ..

this is very much public money

the taxes don't exist unless this is all built ..

it is not a tax on people ..

this is very much public money

I see. So we are getting financing and with the taxes from the revenues, we will be able to pay it back.

Full send, Normanites!

Back