Next Up - Steve Henson and UTSA

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
  • Reigning Conference USA Gene Bartow Coach of the Year Steve Henson is in third year at the helm of the Roadrunners. Henson is 34-35 overall at UTSA with 19-17 conference record.
  • UTSA is 23-8 at home in the Convocation Center during the Henson era.
  • UTSA and Oklahoma are meeting on the hardwood for the fourth time with the Sooners leading the series 3-0.
  • Oklahoma is the first high-major program to visit the Convocation Center since Baylor on Jan. 19, 1992.
  • UTSA returns four starters from its 2017-18 20-win campaign, including junior point guard Giovanni De Nicolao, sophomore shooting guard Jhivvan Jackson, junior small forward Byron Frohnen and senior power forward Nick Allen. Sophomore point/shooting Keaton Wallace, who started 19 games as a freshman, also returns to bring UTSA's experience to 234 combined career starts.

Coach Steve Henson UTSA Biography:
https://goutsa.com/coaches.aspx?rc=870&path=mbball

UTSA's 2018 Foreign Tour to Costa Rica:
https://spark.adobe.com/page/IcnNFI...px&embed_type=overlay&context=lightbox-expand

UTSA Game Notes for the OU Game (pdf file):
https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.si...m/documents/2018/11/10/Game_2_vs_Oklahoma.pdf

UTSA loses home opener 77-76 to St. Edwards.

SAN ANTONIO – UTSA rallied from nine down in the final two minutes to take a one-point lead, but two final-second free throws by Luke Pluymen lifted St. Edward's to a 77-76 win on Wednesday evening.

Game Article:
https://goutsa.com/news/2018/11/7/mens-basketball-roadrunners-upended-by-st-edward-s.aspx

Box Score:
https://goutsa.com/news/2018/11/7/mens-basketball-roadrunners-upended-by-st-edward-s.aspx

SOONER STATE ROADRUNNERS - A pair of Roadrunners call Oklahoma home. Redshirt freshman Adrian Rodriguez hails from Tulsa and is a product of Union High School, while true freshman Adokiye Iyaye is from Oklahoma City and prepped at Putnam City North High School.

Last edited:
Monday, December 4, 2018 (UTSA @ OU last year)

Oklahoma downs UTSA in battle of freshmen guards

NORMAN, Okla. – UTSA's freshman Jhivvan Jackson outdueled Oklahoma's freshman Trae Young, who entered the game as the nation's second-leading scorer, in the points column; however, it was not enough as the Sooners defeated the Roadrunners 97-85 Monday evening at the Lloyd Noble Center.

Jackson scored a game and career-high 31 points on 11 field goals, including four 3-pointers. Young went for 28, making nine shots, including two triples.

Jackson was joined in double figures by fellow frosh Keaton Wallace with 17. Deon Lyle set his season-best scoring effort for the third time in the last four games with 16 points and Nick Allen added 10. Byron Frohnen led the Birds with eight rebounds and Wallace was the top assist-man with six.

Jamuni McNeace scored 15 and Christian James netted 14 to mark three Sooners (6-1) in double-figures. Khadeem Lattin grabbed a game-high 11 boards for Oklahoma.

OU outshot the Roadrunners (5-5) 46 percent (37 of 81) to 38 percent (31 of 81) and won the rebounding battle 54-47. The Sooners outscored UTSA 48-30 in the paint, but the Roadrunners bested OU 13-6 on the fast break and 54-37 off the bench.

Both teams got off to a slow start as only three of the first 20 and 14 of the first 45 shots fell. UTSA led by three early on a Wallace jumper, but the Sooners answered with a scoring spurt to take a 22-17 lead midway through the opening period. A solo 8-3 run by Young gave the Sooners their first double-digit lead of the night at 30-20. UTSA answered with an 8-1 spurt with 3-pointers by Jackson and Lyle, trimming the Roadrunners' deficit to three with five minutes to go before the intermission.

OU stretched its lead to 42-31 on Young's second 3-pointer on the game, but UTSA outscored the Sooners 6-0 over the final 1:52 to make it a two-possession game at 42-37 after 20 minutes of play.

UTSA outscored Oklahoma by three in the first 3:30 of the second half to cut the Sooner lead 50-48 as Allen made his second 3-pointer. OU again pushed its lead to 10 and the Roadrunners got as close as five at 64-59 via a Lyle triple at the 12:21 mark. However, the Sooners put separation on the scoreboard with a 14-3 run over the ensuing 2:23 to take a 75-59 lead.

UTSA closed the gap to single digits at 75-66 with Jackson's layup at the 9:15 mark, but again the Sooners answered with a 10-point scoring streak to put the game out of reach.

For those inclined to gambling, this is only a 9 point spread. I won't be betting on OU very often this year, but I will be tonight.

UTSA set to welcome Kruger, Oklahoma to Convocation Center

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/...et-to-welcome-Kruger-Oklahoma-to-13383213.php

"We had the opportunity to play one swing,” Kruger said. “It seemed like a good fit and a good challenge for us, starting with two games on the road.”

Henson said the matchup has created significant buzz around the Roadrunners program.

The UTSA athletics department made 600 student tickets available Wednesday, and all of them were claimed within an hour.

“It’s going to be electric. It's going to be big time,” senior Nick Allen said. “It’s going to be a lot of fun. I think people are going to be really into it. We're really, really into it. We're super excited. I can’t wait.”

Per Wikipedia: The Convocation Center is a 4,080-seat multi-purpose arena in San Antonio, Texas, USA, on the Main Campus of the University of Texas at San Antonio. It was built in 1975 and is home to the UTSA Roadrunners men's and women's basketball teams and women's volleyball team. It hosted the Southland Conference men's basketball tournament in 1992 and 2004. It has hosted many concerts, with acts like Bad Company, AC/DC and Black Sabbath.

The Convocation Center is often called "The Convo" among the students and athletes of the university. Also known as the "Bird Cage" to students as well.

For those inclined to gambling, this is only a 9 point spread. I won't be betting on OU very often this year, but I will be tonight.

I do this regularly... and 9 is a big spread to take on a road game. I'd either take the points or stay away from it.

I do this regularly... and 9 is a big spread to take on a road game. I'd either take the points or stay away from it.

It's a big spread for comparable teams. It's not a big spread here.

It's a big spread for comparable teams. It's not a big spread here.

I was thinking about throwing $500 down on South Florida at home against Austin Peay. Its a pick-em so go with the home team. Vegas clearly knows something about Austin Peay but I like the home team in situations like this.

i was thinking about throwing $500 down on south florida at home against austin peay. Its a pick-em so go with the home team. Vegas clearly knows something about austin peay but i like the home team in situations like this.

bol.

Yep, I put some cash on the money line (-420) and the spread.

I was going to go $500 on the money line with VCU and South Florida. Both won. Would have been $680 win. Damn my hesitation!

I was going to go $500 on the money line with VCU and South Florida. Both won. Would have been $680 win. Damn my hesitation!

As the Bear says on his podcast, the less money you bet, the more you lose when you win.

Back