OU has 2 easy games on schedule

Obviously the reason OU is playing the series with UTSA is they are coached by Steve Henson as thebigabd pointed out. Lon is just giving his good friend a break. If we can’t beat them on the road, it won’t be a very good year.

I'm just telling you why the coaches schedule on the road so much during the non conference. I prefer they play at home.

It doesn't make any sense. Even if they are disappointed by the sparse crowds at home, where's the benefit in playing most of our non-conference games away from home? Unless you're implying that it's a petulant act on the part of the coaches, to punish the fans for their disinterest (and I can't believe you're suggesting that), what's gained?

Obviously the reason OU is playing the series with UTSA is coached by Steve Henson as thebigabd pointed out. Lon is just giving his good friend a break. If we can’t beat them on the road, it won’t be a very good year.

They gave us all we wanted in Norman last season; it wouldn't be a shock if they beat us in what will be their biggest home game of the year (and only our second game of the season).

And if they do manage to knock us off, it certainly won't mean that we won't be a good team. Upsets happen, especially on the road and especially early in the season. One game -- any one game -- does not a season make.

I completely disagree. Very seldom does the hopps team even play a Saturday game during football season, and when they do, the times don't overlap. OU offers very cheap tickets and makes things extremely easy for basketball fans. If people don't go, it's because they aren't interested, plain and simple. The sad reality is that outside diehards like many of us on this board, basketball is an afterthought for most OU fans.

That is my point, they SHOULD play on Saturdays, before or after a football game. I know if OU had a big football game at 6-7pm one night, and the basketball team had a decent game at noon, 1, or 2, I'd get to Norman a little early and kill two birds with one stone.

That is my point, they SHOULD play on Saturdays, before or after a football game. I know if OU had a big football game at 6-7pm one night, and the basketball team had a decent game at noon, 1, or 2, I'd get to Norman a little early and kill two birds with one stone.

I completely agree, I would too. They did that before the big TTech game in '08. The problem is, for the most part, OU doesn't know when the games are going to be until like a week before.

I completely agree, I would too. They did that before the big TTech game in '08. The problem is, for the most part, OU doesn't know when the games are going to be until like a week before.

Your last point is 100% right. There's no way you could do it when football times aren't announced until a week or two in advance. Basketball opponents aren't going to schedule a game and leave the game time TBD. Also, while there would certainly be a few dozen folks who would head to the LNC if they did this, a lot of other fans would skip the basketball game so they could stay at a football tailgate.

I agree that certainly makes it tougher. But we do know the game time for 3-4 football games already, and some of the others will come out at least two weeks before. I'm not saying it's easy to plan, but I think more people would show up than some think.

Or maybe it would just mean that we weren't very good yet. This team could take a while to mesh, but lose a few early games, and we're not likely to be even a bubble team, not after the rugged Big 12 conference season.

It's college basketball. There are LOTS of good teams outside the top 25, and just four of our non-conference games are at home. OKC and Tulsa will obviously be friendly crowds but not familiar arenas, and NYC decidedly will be like a home game for Notre Dame. We also won't have many fans in the Bahamas.

Possibly, but not likely. We have a couple of new pieces that will be in important roles, but they've already played a ton of college basketball.

This team will have a fairly low ceiling, IMO.

As for the lack of home games, again, that's likely to aid our bubble case, which we will probably have.

You get more RPI credit for playing on the road rather than at home.

I can't stand Wofford.....

I used to coach small college ball in NC and we went to Wofford a few years ago....they were an NCAA tourney team that year. They put us in a lockerroom in another building, about a quarter mile from the gym...no clock/timer in the lockerroom like most schools have so you know how much time you have left. I send a manager to check the clock time and they come running back to say time is almost out. We walk/jog back to the gym and as we walk back in the refs are handing them the ball to inbound it and they go down and score real quick. We are running out to get on the floor and they are fast breaking. Completely classless act.

They were going to beat us regardless but just a trashy thing to do.

OU opens in Atlantis with Florida.... Probably a worst case scenario draw for OU.

This schedule is insane.

OU opens in Atlantis with Florida.... Probably a worst case scenario draw for OU.

This schedule is insane.

In what way? Virginia is a top-10 team and from the "too early" polls I've looked at, Butler is also expected to be very good. They are both on the other side of the bracket. Florida lost some key players, including a very good, experienced PG. I can only assume they have some great JUCOs coming in for you to consider them the worst case scenario. :)

Every team in the field is good, as is the case every year in this tournament. It's an honor to play in these things and you get a huge resume boost as long as you don't go winless.

I'd rather have a killer schedule this year and expect more from the team next year.

Back