Next Year's Roster

Re: MBB TPT2 TRANSFER PORTAL THREAD 2

Hence the reason I said I was messing around. Reading is fundamental.

Then either your writing is like a 6th graders bc your "messing" around was in reference to your trolling in the past and not going forward or you're trying to change your post to get a really cheap dig in. Either way - lame.

Last edited:

I think most of us agree with you on being ok if he stays as nothing but depth off the bench, but I fear that if he stays, Moser will still play him 15+ mins. If we have 7 or 8 guys who are clearly better than the rest of the roster, I would prefer he just go the Bill Self route and shorten the bench. KU had some guys who rarely saw the floor, despite being better than most/all of our bench. You can get by playing a tight rotation in college if you stay as healthy as we did this season.

JG minutes will be/(should be) determined by how ready Cole and Cooper are to play and how fast they pick up the system and develop.

1 Grant Sherfield
2 Milos Uzan
3 Otega Oweh/Kaden Cooper
4 Jacolb Cole/Jacob Groves
5 Sam Godwin/Yaya Keita/Luke Northweather

JG minutes will be/(should be) determined by how ready Cole and Cooper are to play and how fast they pick up the system and develop.

Cole won’t be ready imo.

Jg? Hang tight. Write lightly and in pencil.

If Dr Sleeps' prediction is anywhere close to accurate could OU be 14th in a 14 team Big 12?
4 and 5 are filled with players that KU would use to scrimmage their women's team with.

If Dr Sleeps' prediction is anywhere close to accurate could OU be 14th in a 14 team Big 12?
4 and 5 are filled with players that KU would use to scrimmage their women's team with.

You mean with 9 players on roster? Absolutely a good chance, sure.

However, you are probably running a 4 guard/small ball lineup there. I bet they do better than you think.

Sherfield/Uzan/Oweh/Cooper/Random Post.

With that roster, we may have finished 14th in a 10-team Big 12.

I thought it was determined that Sherfield was as good as gone?

You mean with 9 players on roster? Absolutely a good chance, sure.

However, you are probably running a 4 guard/small ball lineup there. I bet they do better than you think.

Sherfield/Uzan/Oweh/Cooper/Random Post.

I coached at the college level (small school) for a few years. We always played a few DI schools every year. I ran a four guard/1 post lineup virtually all the time. We were run and gun, get up the floor quick and tried to shoot at least 30 threes a game.

It works well against small schools with small players....but we play Mercer the year they beat Duke in the tourney, we played NC Central when they won the MEAC, we played Wofford when they went to the tourney and we played Davidson.....we had 5 turnovers against Mercer...FIVE in 40 minutes and still lost by 30+......vs Davidson we came out of the half and hit 2 threes back to back and cut the lead to like 14....they call consecutive TO's and then come out and score 10 straight feeding it inside...beat us by about 30.

It was fine against schools more our size (we shot 38 threes one night and made 21. scored 132 points)......we took the NAIA DI national runner up to the last 30 seconds before losing by 6...we beat the returning national champs in our division by 17.

My point is.....you don't want to go a 4 guard lineup in the Big 12 (or vs any D1 really) because it will be a LOOOOONG night after night after night.

We were SUPPOSED to lose those games.....OU is NOT.

I coached at the college level (small school) for a few years. We always played a few DI schools every year. I ran a four guard/1 post lineup virtually all the time. We were run and gun, get up the floor quick and tried to shoot at least 30 threes a game.

It works well against small schools with small players....but we play Mercer the year they beat Duke in the tourney, we played NC Central when they won the MEAC, we played Wofford when they went to the tourney and we played Davidson.....we had 5 turnovers against Mercer...FIVE in 40 minutes and still lost by 30+......vs Davidson we came out of the half and hit 2 threes back to back and cut the lead to like 14....they call consecutive TO's and then come out and score 10 straight feeding it inside...beat us by about 30.

It was fine against schools more our size (we shot 38 threes one night and made 21. scored 132 points)......we took the NAIA DI national runner up to the last 30 seconds before losing by 6...we beat the returning national champs in our division by 17.

My point is.....you don't want to go a 4 guard lineup in the Big 12 (or vs any D1 really) because it will be a LOOOOONG night after night after night.

We were SUPPOSED to lose those games.....OU is NOT.

I completely agree with you, especially in the Big12 you want big athletes to be able to play in the physical conference. I grew up playing in a motion offense, my coaching preference is a high/low post game (old school), but when you are heavy in guards, it does benefit you to run the 4 out 1 in with good shooters and slashers. Especially if you are more athletic.

I don't think we have the personnel, but who knows who develops in their sophomore season into a superstar to not to steal some games.

I could also point to Jay Wright having the most success with the small 4 offenses. (But that is also the genius of Jay Wright)

If you ever come up to DC, I would be more than happy to buy you a beer and talk shop. Could hear stories like that all day. I just coached HS and did tons of camps/training but nothing at that level.

I completely agree with you, especially in the Big12 you want big athletes to be able to play in the physical conference. I grew up playing in a motion offense, my coaching preference is a high/low post game (old school), but when you are heavy in guards, it does benefit you to run the 4 out 1 in with good shooters and slashers. Especially if you are more athletic.

I don't think we have the personnel, but who knows who develops in their sophomore season into a superstar to not to steal some games.

I could also point to Jay Wright having the most success with the small 4 offenses. (But that is also the genius of Jay Wright)

If you ever come up to DC, I would be more than happy to buy you a beer and talk shop. Could hear stories like that all day. I just coached HS and did tons of camps/training but nothing at that level.

It was fun....I'm back at the HS level now. College was cool...rubbing elbows with guys like Bob Hoffman and Brad Brownell and dudes like that. I got a call from Bobby Hurley one time for a scouting report on a team we played that was on their schedule. He was a pretty good dude.

I also had a chance to hang with the Bobcats staff because they used our gym for practice for a few weeks one year.

I loved the coaching part of the college game but disliked parts of it too.

Not to mention, if you aren't a D1 coach you aren't making much money. LOL

It was fun....I'm back at the HS level now. College was cool...rubbing elbows with guys like Bob Hoffman and Brad Brownell and dudes like that. I got a call from Bobby Hurley one time for a scouting report on a team we played that was on their schedule. He was a pretty good dude.

I also had a chance to hang with the Bobcats staff because they used our gym for practice for a few weeks one year.

I loved the coaching part of the college game but disliked parts of it too.

Not to mention, if you aren't a D1 coach you aren't making much money. LOL

worse than HS? lol...I prob avg about $5 an hr with all the time spent..:ez-roll:

Yeah, Porter has a lot of work to do in the portal. He has to get quality and quantity.

so is J Groves gone? Thought Coach said he was...after the Hill news broke.

worse than HS? lol...I prob avg about $5 an hr with all the time spent..:ez-roll:

Oh I make WAY more at the HS level. Small college ball you're often lucky if you make $50k. I make $30k more than I would be making at the college. I am also coaching/teaching HS back in Texas now...which also makes a difference.

Back