Next Year's Roster

Other than scoring what else does he do well? He was obviously our best player but that was a low bar.

Scoring is half the game, so that's a pretty big deal. He was our best player not only with the ball in his hands, but also without the ball in his hands. He's about the only guy on our team with gravity while standing on the perimeter, but unfortunately you need another scorer on the court to take advantage of that. Having a guy like Gibson returning would have been huge, as that would have helped optimize both what he brought on-ball as well as off-ball. I could see some of these portal prospects like Denver Jones making a huge difference.

Saying he's not a good passer barely warrants acknowledgment, as he was top 10 in assists back to back years prior to his arrival. That just doesn't compute.

Scoring is half the game, so that's a pretty big deal. He was our best player not only with the ball in his hands, but also without the ball in his hands. He's about the only guy on our team with gravity while standing on the perimeter, but unfortunately you need another scorer on the court to take advantage of that. Having a guy like Gibson returning would have been huge, as that would have helped optimize both what he brought on-ball as well as off-ball. I could see some of these portal prospects like Denver Jones making a huge difference.

Saying he's not a good passer barely warrants acknowledgment, as he was top 10 in assists back to back years prior to his arrival. That just doesn't compute.

Scoring is a big deal. And that's why I said he's our best player. But if you're getting abused on the other end then it doesn't help your team as much.

As far as his passing ability: I have eyes and I watched every game this year. I did not observe him being a particularly good passer. I guess you could chalk it up to the team not being good or the level of competition we played. YMMV.

If we can get guys that are better than Uzan, I'm all for doing it. I just don't see many guys that fit that description. If they do, they're likely blue-blood bound.

And there definitely is something to recruiting over people. From the sounds of it, that was our issue with Gibson, who announced he was coming back, but suddenly wasn't after we brought in Sherfield. I don't think anybody regrets bringing in Sherfield, but Gibson was undoubtedly a big loss, and I wouldn't make the same deal if it cost us Uzan.

Football is a completely different sport, and OU specifically is on a different level in that regard. If you're OU's starting LT, but they bring in a better guy than you, you can slide to RT or guard. If you're the starting PG or C, you don't have four other spots you can slide to. As good as OU is at football, they aren't going to bring in a big transfer portal QB if it would upset Jackson Arnold.

If we can get guys that are better than Uzan, I'm all for doing it. I just don't see many guys that fit that description. If they do, they're likely blue-blood bound.

And there definitely is something to recruiting over people. From the sounds of it, that was our issue with Gibson, who announced he was coming back, but suddenly wasn't after we brought in Sherfield. I don't think anybody regrets bringing in Sherfield, but Gibson was undoubtedly a big loss, and I wouldn't make the same deal if it cost us Uzan.

Football is a completely different sport, and OU specifically is on a different level in that regard. If you're OU's starting LT, but they bring in a better guy than you, you can slide to RT or guard. If you're the starting PG or C, you don't have four other spots you can slide to. As good as OU is at football, they aren't going to bring in a big transfer portal QB if it would upset Jackson Arnold.

I dont remember gibson ever announcing he was coming back then switching. You sure?

Your football example doesnt work for a couple of reasons. 1. Unfortunately bball isnt on that level of course. 2. Your hypothetical is EXACTLY what OU did in fact... they got Hurts despite having 5 star #1 rated, top 15 player Spencer Rattler. JA could turn out to be a bum like Rattler for all we know (i do not think he will be). That underscores all the more why you stack talent on talent. Plus, now there is unfettered free agency.. use all your schollys and get best players you can get. Period.

2. Your hypothetical is EXACTLY what OU did in fact... they got Hurts despite having 5 star #1 rated, top 15 player Spencer Rattler. JA could turn out to be a bum like Rattler for all we know (i do not think he will be).

That example actually further validates my point. Rattler was not expected to start as a true freshman, so they brought in a one year starter that didn't interfere with his plans instead of bringing in Justin Fields, a guy most felt was more coveted with more years to play.

But enough with the poorly constructed football comparisons.

That example actually further validates my point. Rattler was not expected to start as a true freshman, so they brought in a one year starter that didn't interfere with his plans instead of bringing in Justin Fields, a guy most felt was more coveted with more years to play.

But enough with the poorly constructed football comparisons.

You're trying to make it fit but it goes directly against the plain language of your point. Ask rattler if he thought he was going to start before Hurts lol

Re: MBB TPT2 TRANSFER PORTAL THREAD 2

So which is it, does OU not talent or did we steal an uber-talented Sherfield away from Gonzaga?

You like Sherfield. You like the two freshman. You all like what Hill brings. You liked Cortes in a backup role.

About the only thing you all didn't like were the Groves bros and out overall depth at the 5.

I can promise you, we are more than center talent/depth and some bench players from being where we all should want this team to be.

So which is it, does OU not talent or did we steal an uber-talented Sherfield away from Gonzaga?

You like Sherfield. You like the two freshman. You all like what Hill brings. You liked Cortes in a backup role.

About the only thing you all didn't like were the Groves bros and out overall depth at the 5.

I can promise you, we are more than center talent/depth and some bench players from being where we all should want this team to be.
Riveting commentary.

You have been full of happy viewpoints for a while now. Do you wear all black and sit around listening to The Cure all day? Because you sure seem EMO.

Lighten up dude.....we were way more competitive than you let on....we barely lost to Texas, we beat Alabama....we were competitive in ALOT of games......we aren't as bad as you want to let on.....yes, we are a ways from being a top 10 team but not as far off from being a top 25/tournament team as you want to let on.

The guys who left are guys we NEEDED to replace anyway in order to take the next step. CJ wasn't going to make us any better and BC was, by all accounts, a good kid but he was not an elite player. Both are VERY replaceable. If we can land a big or two this will be a tournament team.

I think we have lots of areas to upgrade.

3 ships.

Center #1 priority.
Scoring guard #2
best athletic PF you can find #3

I want them to keep recruiting HS well. Ill take 2 guys each year like Cole, Kooper and Otega and milos...

Fill in from there.

Im not a huge Jacob fan but he can play the 3/4 at times and if he makes shots.

.....but not as far off from being a top 25/tournament team as you want to let on.

No offense, but that is an absolute garbage take.

Bad teams still play good games from time to time.

Louisville went 4-28 this year. Won of those 4 wins was against a bubble team that finished 3rd in the ACC in Clemson. They lost two games to Miami and UVA in Feb by a combined 11 points.

Butler went 14-18 and finished 9th in the Big East. They also beat KSU early in the year. They beat Xavier. And they lost a couple of close games to Penn State and Marquette.

I could do this all day. OU was not close to being a top 25 team.

Louisville went 4-28 this year. Won of those 4 wins was against a bubble team that finished 3rd in the ACC in Clemson. They lost two games to Miami and UVA in Feb by a combined 11 points.

Butler went 14-18 and finished 9th in the Big East. They also beat KSU early in the year. They beat Xavier. And they lost a couple of close games to Penn State and Marquette.

You could do it all day, but will continue to do so poorly if you make ridiculous comparisons like OU to Louisville. Butler is a better comparison, as they did poorly and only lost three games to teams that didn't make the NCAA or NIT (compared to one for OU) and didn't lose one of those games out of conference (like OU).

You could do it all day, but will continue to do so poorly if you make ridiculous comparisons like OU to Louisville. Butler is a better comparison, as they did poorly and only lost three games to teams that didn't make the NCAA or NIT (compared to one for OU) and didn't lose one of those games out of conference (like OU).

I didn't compare OU to Louisville. I simply used them as an example of how even with some of the worst teams out there, you can cherry pick their schedule and come up with wins over Tournament teams and close losses to Tournament teams. OU isn't unique in that regards.

Hope that helps.

This entire response shows your utter lack of basketball knowledge.
Congrats.

This entire response shows your utter lack of basketball knowledge.
Congrats.

Actually, much like the other poster I corrected, it just shows that some of you aren't capable of connecting dots. That isn't my fault, and honestly, I don't have all day to walk you thru it.

If you are going to use wins and close losses against Tourney teams as some gauge to how good we almost were, don't get mad when I cherry pick wins and close losses to Tourney teams for other "bad" programs. Anybody that watched OU on the court over the entire season knows we were not a very good team. Period. Shouldn't be up for debate. Only the die-hard OU fans that can NEVER say anything negative about the program disagree. Neutral fans? People not close to the OU program? They don't think we're all that close.

I didn't compare OU to Louisville. I simply used them as an example of how even with some of the worst teams out there, you can cherry pick their schedule and come up with wins over Tournament teams and close losses to Tournament teams. OU isn't unique in that regards.

Hope that helps.

I actually agree we weren’t close to a top 25 team. But I just thought your means of supporting it was absolute garbage (no offense).

Actually, much like the other poster I corrected, it just shows that some of you aren't capable of connecting dots. That isn't my fault, and honestly, I don't have all day to walk you thru it.

If you are going to use wins and close losses against Tourney teams as some gauge to how good we almost were, don't get mad when I cherry pick wins and close losses to Tourney teams for other "bad" programs. Anybody that watched OU on the court over the entire season knows we were not a very good team. Period. Shouldn't be up for debate. Only the die-hard OU fans that can NEVER say anything negative about the program disagree. Neutral fans? People not close to the OU program? They don't think we're all that close.

I heard plenty of impartial announcers/media who proclaimed that every big 12 team (including ou) would have made the tournament in a different conference. It isn’t only ou homers who thought that ou was better than their record would suggest.

I heard plenty of impartial announcers/media who proclaimed that every big 12 team (including ou) would have made the tournament in a different conference. It isn’t only ou homers who thought that ou was better than their record would suggest.

And those "impartial announcers" know much less about the team than 98% of the posters on this website. We have eyes, we can see the product on the floor. We can see the poor in-game coaching decisions and substitution "patterns." We can see the lack of overall talent and depth.

And those "impartial announcers" know much less about the team than 98% of the posters on this website. We have eyes, we can see the product on the floor. We can see the poor in-game coaching decisions and substitution "patterns." We can see the lack of overall talent and depth.

Their basketball opinions (which are unequivocally better than most on this board) were that ou was a tournament team in any other conference. Whether they are right or wrong is irrelevant to the thesis of my post. The thesis being that plenty of people (including unbiased media) don’t agree with WT’s (and your) opinion that we are not close to being a tournament team.

i mean it is a factual take

Back