Next Year's Roster

I really don’t want to run it back with largely the same roster. Can’t see that ending well. In on too many guards for there not to be at least one more leaving (Sheffield)?

I really don’t want to run it back with largely the same roster. Can’t see that ending well. In on too many guards for there not to be at least one more leaving (Sheffield)?

3 open spots .. means at least 1 guard and a starting center .. no matter who returns ..

and i would bet they can sell that they really don't want any one to play more then 30 min a game ..

which creates a bunch of min for any new player even in grant returns

3 open spots .. means at least 1 guard and a starting center .. no matter who returns ..

and i would bet they can sell that they really don't want any one to play more then 30 min a game ..

I would consider that running it back. I think we need an upgrade from at least one of Sherfield/Hill in order to make any real improvement.

If they all stay, you have Sherfield, Uzan, Oweh, J. Groves, and probably Cooper fighting for minutes at the 1-3 spots. You have Hill and maybe Cole at the 4? Collins and Godwin at the 5?

Maybe we sign a guard that gives Oweh/J. Groves competition off the bench.

I'm just not sure how you convince a good guard to come here and not have a starting spot for him. But I also think Sherfield is still likely leaving. Worst thing would be for him to be wishy-washy, test pro basketball waters, then leave last minute.

3 open slots is plenty. If we have 5 slots, there's no way they're all better than Sherfield and Hill. This won't hinder our ability to get a 5 at all, and there a lot of minutes for a bigger wing that can slide down to the 4. Might hinder our chances with 1/2 like Denver Jones, but we don't really need a 1/2 if all of our guys are returning.

We needs upgrades at every position. Sherfield is a good shooter but he offers nothing else.

This. Every position should be trying to be recruiting over

Good luck building anything of significance if two promising freshman are going to be recruited over and relegated to the bench. You can kiss recruiting good high school players good-bye.

Good luck building anything of significance if two promising freshman are going to be recruited over and relegated to the bench. You can kiss recruiting good high school players good-bye.

You can also maybe kiss them goodbye if you don't upgrade the talent on the team, we have another bad season, and PM gets fired.

Like you said, every day without an announcement is positive.

Surely these dudes have more respect for Moser and OU than to hold our scholarships up any longer.

I think there is truth to this in regard to their chances of going to another college program lowering slightly by the day, but they don't need to enter the portal to play professionally.

I'm not saying recruit over Uzan and Oweh but we need a massive talent infusion. Obviously goal number one is a big man.

Hopefully if PM can upgrade the interior talent it will take some pressure off of the guards. It was pretty easy for teams to shut Grant down when they could cover the paint with one guy. Watching UCONN run those bigs in and out and just dominate teams with back to the basket bigs is impressive. Seems like most young big men today want to be Kevin Durant.

In your hypothetical scenario, who cares? That would mean we found even better players.. thats kind of the point, you know?

What does it say about your program if you’re not trying to recruit over every position? You think OU football isn’t trying to recruit over everyone?

Did our football team stop recruiting RBs because we have Sawchuk and Barnes? Do the great basketball teams avoid recruiting talented players because they already have studs on the roster?

We needs upgrades at every position. Sherfield is a good shooter but he offers nothing else.

I disagree to this extent: he came to OU with a reputation for being very good in the pick and roll game. I think he showed that at Nevada. But obviously, we lacked anything resembling a big who was effective as a roll man (or even a pick and pop option). If we could land a big who is truly a Big 12 level starter, I think he could show that again. Not saying we will ever land a guy like KJ Adams, but imagine our guards having a guy like that to throw lobs to in the halfcourt offense.

I disagree to this extent: he came to OU with a reputation for being very good in the pick and roll game. I think he showed that at Nevada. But obviously, we lacked anything resembling a big who was effective as a roll man (or even a pick and pop option). If we could land a big who is truly a Big 12 level starter, I think he could show that again. Not saying we will ever land a guy like KJ Adams, but imagine our guards having a guy like that to throw lobs to in the halfcourt offense.

I'm talking about defense, rebounding, passing etc. Other than scoring what else does he do well? He was obviously our best player but that was a low bar.

In your hypothetical scenario, who cares? That would mean we found even better players.. thats kind of the point, you know?

Did our football team stop recruiting RBs because we have Sawchuk and Barnes? Do the great basketball teams avoid recruiting talented players because they already have studs on the roster?

OU football is a blue-blood, Duke/Kansas are blue bloods. It's one thing if they recruit over players, and a completely different thing if OU basketball does it. They've showed a level of success, player development, and getting players to the pros. OU can get to that level, but you can't skip steps. Boulder has had many posts on how abysmal the HS recruiting was the last few years of Lon. That is a trend that needs to be reversed, along with player development. Use the portal to build around the edges.

Say you get players that are better than Los and Oweh at their positions, but they're seniors who stay for just one year? Next year, you've lost the portal guys + Los and Oweh. If there is a sure fire 2024 NBA lottery pick willing to come to OU, it's a different story, but that player isn't coming.

OU football is a blue-blood, Duke/Kansas are blue bloods. It's one thing if they recruit over players, and a completely different thing if OU basketball does it. They've showed a level of success, player development, and getting players to the pros. OU can get to that level, but you can't skip steps. Boulder has had many posts on how abysmal the HS recruiting was the last few years of Lon. That is a trend that needs to be reversed, along with player development. Use the portal to build around the edges.

Say you get players that are better than Los and Oweh at their positions, but they're seniors who stay for just one year? Next year, you've lost the portal guys + Los and Oweh. If there is a sure fire 2024 NBA lottery pick willing to come to OU, it's a different story, but that player isn't coming.

But your side of the argument needs to understand and acknowledge that there is no guarantee of keeping ANY SINGLE PLAYER in any given year. You cant bank on oweh and uzan staying til they are SRs or even til next year (or even THIS season...). I hope they do, but given this terrible new world, give me the best player i can get every single year. Then see what happens with the players that stay. This continues until the ncaa corrects its embarrassing mistake to allow free agency (which will significantly kill the game over time)

Back