Nil

The problem is the NCAA's typical lack of foresight. They could have established, without any legislative oversight, a fair system to allow athletes to make money off NIL. Instead, they buried their heads in the sand, did nothing, and ultimately, the courts got involved when enough players decided to sue.

It’s not NIL per se. It’s that there are no guidelines or rules. It’s complete chaos with no structure. Much like everything else the NCAA does, they screwed it up through neglect and incompetence.
Agreed.

NIL is not the sole problem. NIL as originally ruled by SCOTUS was supposed to be compensation for Name, Image, and Likeness. That is fair and palatable. But the NCAA kicked the can down the road hoping for Congressional assistance and definition, but States stepped in and made it a cluster and the Wild Wild West it has now become.

Combine that with the ridiculous idiotic timing of the NCAA to allow penalty-free transfers and they essentially created unconstrained free agency in college athletics.

Not even a Scott Boras to give more normalcy to the process. Literally a free-for-all for the highest bidder, especially in basketball where one player has more impact.

easier to spend less in nil for other sports and win championships. and if joe isn’t tapping into all possible money within the alums for football, then we stay a bubble basketball program for the foreseeable future. if even that.

easier to spend less in nil for other sports and win championships. and if joe isn’t tapping into all possible money within the alums for football, then we stay a bubble basketball program for the foreseeable future. if even that.
I agree with this. A lot of blame goes to Moser but he’s gonna need help on the NIL front moving forward.

Exactly, look at Rutgers. They signed two of the top 3 kids in the 2024 class, because they decided football is a waste of money unless you're a blue blood or an SEC school with unrealistic expectations.

In my opinion nil will ruin college sports. I am sure most of you will disagree but that's ok
didn’t mean to hijack your thread. this version is quickly on the way to ruin with no transfer limit, as mjsooner said. i want kids to get paid in some form. just wish the ncaa hadn’t been so naive and had some kind of plan ready to bring to the commissioners or presidents once the ruling came down. if that was even possible. dartmouth’s union ruling may be our only hope.

this is always where NIL was going ... once you open the pay door you can not cap it in any way .. (without a CBA with a union)
You keep saying this, but if I can show that somebody that is paying a player isn't benefiting at ALL from that player's N, I, or L, that could absolutely be stopped. They could at least go through the act of faking it a little bit.

But it's not difficult to make these collectives, individuals, or companies "support" the money they are giving. No different than Bomar with OU years ago. It wasn't against the rules for him to have a job and to get paid. It was against the rule for him to get paid when he wasn't even showing up.

You keep saying this, but if I can show that somebody that is paying a player isn't benefiting at ALL from that player's N, I, or L, that could absolutely be stopped. They could at least go through the act of faking it a little bit.

But it's not difficult to make these collectives, individuals, or companies "support" the money they are giving. No different than Bomar with OU years ago. It wasn't against the rules for him to have a job and to get paid. It was against the rule for him to get paid when he wasn't even showing up.
Be stopped by whom? Not the NCAA. And according to SCOTUS.

In the NCAA v Alston, SCOTUS ruled against the NCAA 9-0. Both Gorsuch and Kavanaugh had blistering opinions against the NCAA. Kavanaugh even wrote- and this is copied-
"Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law."​

He is basically saying athletes should be getting paid for being an athlete for the University. That is why Boulder makes the statements he does, and that is where the NCAA or Universities are headed. Toward a CBA or union for athletes. It's what has happened in the B1G, and what is going on right now with the NLRB and Dartmouth basketball.

NIL and payment to athletes is here to stay, and the NCAA is toothless in its regulation and enforcement of any "rules" they chose to add to stop it.

For decades the schools and coaches got to do what ever they wanted with the $$$, the chickens have come home to roost

Be stopped by whom? Not the NCAA. And according to SCOTUS.

In the NCAA v Alston, SCOTUS ruled against the NCAA 9-0. Both Gorsuch and Kavanaugh had blistering opinions against the NCAA. Kavanaugh even wrote- and this is copied-
"Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law."​

He is basically saying athletes should be getting paid for being an athlete for the University. That is why Boulder makes the statements he does, and that is where the NCAA or Universities are headed. Toward a CBA or union for athletes. It's what has happened in the B1G, and what is going on right now with the NLRB and Dartmouth basketball.

NIL and payment to athletes is here to stay, and the NCAA is toothless in its regulation and enforcement of any "rules" they chose to add to stop it.
Cool. The schools can pay them a fair rate for the "work" they do.

How does that legally mean that a donor can give them $1M/year for nothing (other than playing)? And if schools are profiting so much off these kids, how come so many athletic departments operate in the red, even with increasing tv/conference payouts?

And where does it stop? Why aren't other students considered employees? I'd guess most of them participate in something that could be beneficial to the school's interests. I have a family member on a fishing team that represents a university. How much should he be making as an employee?

Can't wait for the SEC and Big 10 to break away and put a stop to this mess, even if it is thru a CBA. But if that is the answer, the only answer, than yeah, let's move forward and get something done. There are things that can be done. If student athletes want paid, I say make them pay for tuition and room/board. Tax them on the other benefits they get (healthcare, etc).

no it couldn't I can buy the right to use someones NIL for what ever purpose I want ... and pay them whatever I want ..

If i then don't sell the players rights and make money back for my marketing company .. that is on my company not on the player ..

and with bomar it 100% was against the rules to have a job and get paid during the school year (that was not allowed) ...

Cool. The schools can pay them a fair rate for the "work" they do.

How does that legally mean that a donor can give them $1M/year for nothing (other than playing)? And if schools are profiting so much off these kids, how come so many athletic departments operate in the red, even with increasing tv/conference payouts?

And where does it stop? Why aren't other students considered employees? I'd guess most of them participate in something that could be beneficial to the school's interests. I have a family member on a fishing team that represents a university. How much should he be making as an employee?

Can't wait for the SEC and Big 10 to break away and put a stop to this mess, even if it is thru a CBA. But if that is the answer, the only answer, than yeah, let's move forward and get something done. There are things that can be done. If student athletes want paid, I say make them pay for tuition and room/board. Tax them on the other benefits they get (healthcare, etc).
market value is by legal definition what ever someone will pay you for something .. 1 tweet for 1 million .. legal .. (and right now schools can't pay them anything) ..

AD's are not in business to "make money" so they spend all or close to all of every dollar that comes in (also the school makes money because the AD pays the university for the tuition and housing (for those that live in the dorms) of the athletes .. including out of state tuition)

football players will be fine with getting paid ... because when they are a union and have a CBA they will likely make over 40% of the revenue the bring in(maybe more)

when that happens other sports funding goes away ..

and yes non rev sports athlete trying to become employees doesn't make any sense ... ie Dartmouth bball can we get paid ... what is 1/13 of negative 2 millions dollars (or what ever that team loses)

Last edited:
Back