Oklahoma vs. Houston more than meets the eye...(PREVIEW)

thebigabd

Reaction score
This is one of the most interesting games on our schedule, because they have some players that I thought OU should have recruited out of junior college but Capel (as we all know) is busy signing the nations best high school players.

To me, its a clash of a talented juco-laden team vs. an Oklahoma team featuring top 100 players and 3 Mcdonalds All-Americans... There are some that say no talent exists in the juco ranks anymore, and Houston is a team made primarily of junior college players. The debate rages every recruiting season on this board, and watching those juco guys play against OU's top 100 and Mcdonalds players is going to be very interesting....

Oklahoma Projected Starters

PG: Tommy Mason-Griffin (5'11'' 206)
-Mcdonalds All-American. Named 2009 Gatorade Texas High School Basketball Player of the Year ... Averaged 22.8 points, 5.3 assists, 4.4 rebounds and 3.7 steals per game as a senior for 19-9 James Madison High School ... Shot .451 (82-for-182) from 3-point range.

SG: Willie Warren (6'4'' 203)
-Mcdonalds All-American. Unanimous choice as Big 12 Freshman of the Year ... A second-team All-Big 12 selection ... A consensus first-team freshman All-American ... Named national freshman of the year by Athlon Sports. Ranked second on team in scoring (14.6 ppg) and in assists (3.1 apg) ... Also averaged 2.2 rebounds and 1.1 steals in 31.3 minutes per contest ... Shot .473 from the field, .372 from 3-point range and .781 from the free throw line

SG: Tony Crocker (6'6'' 209)
-Started all 36 games ... Averaged 9.6 points, 3.2 rebounds, 1.4 assists and 1.0 steal in 28.9 minutes a contest ... Ranked second on team in 3-pointers made (59) and shot .349 from behind the arc .

PF: Tiny Gallon (6'9'' 290)
-Mcdonalds All-American... Ranked No. 9 nationally (No. 2 center) by Rivals.com and No. 11 (No. 3 center) by ESPN.com and Scout.com ... Led all scorers with 20 points in the McDonald's All-American Game and added seven boards in 21 minutes... Averaged 16.0 points, 10.3 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game as a senior while shooting .591 from the floor and .685 from the free throw line for national runner up Oak Hill Academy (40-1) ... Also shot .342 from 3-point range (27-for-79) ... Named team MVP ... Honored as 2009 Gatorade Virginia High School Basketball Player of the Year

C: Ryan Wright (6'9'' 241)
-Played in 32 games ... Averaged 1.8 points and 2.1 rebounds in 8.1 minutes per contest ... Shot .341 from the field and .577 from the free throw line ... Ranked sixth on team with 52 free throw attempts ... Registered 11 blocked shots on the year and recorded two rejections in each of three games ... Made lone start of the season against No. 15 Kansas (Feb. 13) in place of injured Blake Griffin and grabbed a season-high seven rebounds.

Houston Projected Starters

PG: Adam Brown (6'4'' 175)
-Junior College Transfer. Talented long-range shooter who has a good head for the game... Member of NTJCAC championship squad that posted a 27-5 record and were ranked as high as No. 16 in the NJCAA poll... Named to Junior College All-America Second Team after averaging 18.6 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game. Selected as Most Valuable Player of the North Texas Conference and NJCAA Region V... Was an All-Region V and All-North Texas Conference First-Team selection...Steady shooter who shot more than 43 percent from behind the arc... Recorded 14 games with at least 20 points, including a season-high 33 points against Temple College.

SG: Kelvin Lewis (6'4'' 195)
-Preseason Conference USA team. Lewis averaged 18.0 points and ranked among the league leaders with 93 3-pointers. He posted a pair of 30-point games, including a career-best 35 points at Arizona midway through the season. A member of the All-Conference USA Third Team, Lewis regularly was called upon to guard Cougar opponents' leading backcourt players. After posting several spectacular performances against the league's premier offensive players, he also earned a place on the league's All-Defensive Team.

SG: Aubrey Coleman (6'4'' 200)
-Junior College Transfer. 2009 C-USA Newcomer of the Year. 2009 C-USA First Team. Preseason 1st team all conference. Made an immediate impact in his first season... Team leader with 19.4 points per game and finished second with 8.2 rebounds per game. only player to rank among the league's top-four leaders in both categories. The Houston native posted three 30-point games, including a career-high 38 points at C-USA rival Marshall.

PF: Maurice Mcneill (6'9'' 215)
-Junior College Transfer. Possesses good hands and knows how to finish at the basket... Heady player who passes well... Can handle the ball or take opponents off the dribble.. Led the Ravens with 19.7 points and 11.0 rebounds per game... Earned place on All-Region XIV First Team... Averaged 20 points and 21 rebounds per game to lead the Wolverines as a senior in high school.

C: Kendrick Washington (6'7'' 270)
-Earned place on the Class 5A All-State First Team after averaging 19.4 points and 17.5 rebounds per game in Louisiana.... Named the All-City Player of the Year... "I don't think there's anybody like him in Conference USA. He is a great athlete with massive hands," Penders said. "In addition to his size, he can get up and down the floor and will give us a tremendous inside threat. He is tremendously skilled in handling and passing. Kendrick has an NFL and an NBA body."

The only thing that worries me about that game is that OU plays the day before and Houston doesn't so we may be a little fatigued. But I'd take our guys against their guys 10 times out of 10.

Rivals.com preseason rankings have OU as the #13 team and Houston as number 88. I hope we don't lose that game or this board will meltdown in a similar fashion as we did after the Stephen F. Austin game.

Last edited:
Willie is dropping 25+ on that all C-USA defense player.

That's a Tom Penders coached team? I'll load up on OU.

Man I wish he was still at Texas.

I hope we don't lose that game or this board will meltdown in a similar fashion as we did after the Stephen F. Austin game.

Haha some people melted down like chernobyl. If we lose to Houston it would not be embarrassing just like the SFA games was not as bad a loss as some though. That said, we really should not lose this game.

If Brown beats out Desmond Wade as you're projecting abd, then Houston will have a salty backcourt. Either way, they'll get a ton of steals this year and be very disruptive up front. They've also gone 3 straight seasons under Penders in the top 3 in the country in fewest turnovers/possession.

That frontcourt is a mess though without Cousin and Calhoun back and a poor rebounding team just got worse this year. They also couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from outside 15 feet last year.

If I'm an OU fan, this game scares me because it's early in the season on a neutral floor in the middle of nowhere against a team that needs that win to make their season.

If Brown beats out Desmond Wade as you're projecting abd, then Houston will have a salty backcourt. Either way, they'll get a ton of steals this year and be very disruptive up front. They've also gone 3 straight seasons under Penders in the top 3 in the country in fewest turnovers/possession.

That frontcourt is a mess though without Cousin and Calhoun back and a poor rebounding team just got worse this year. They also couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from outside 15 feet last year.

If I'm an OU fan, this game scares me because it's early in the season on a neutral floor in the middle of nowhere against a team that needs that win to make their season.

What team do you root for?

I'm just a TU fan who wandered upon this board while looking for college basketball discussion this time of year.

I'm just a TU fan who wandered upon this board while looking for college basketball discussion this time of year.

TU fan here as well... Welcome to the board. If you are looking for hoops discussion you have found the right place.

Back