OSU is loaded....

I think Walker comes off the bench. Honestly I think Moncrieffe is the guy that will be hard to keep on the bench. I could see Boone or Cisse come off the bench & Moncrieffe at the 4.

I think you pencil in Moncrieffe at the 4. Do they reward Boone as the starter at 5 since he's been there or will Cisse take that spot from him? That's what practice is for, I guess. Moncrieffe is too good to not start. JMO.

Their bigs are good, and are going to be tough for OU's undersized guys, but, again, they don't scare me as much as their guard play. I hate to bag on him, but especially since Manek is gone. They new guys are going to go after rebounds more fervently.

Texas just landed Marcus Carr from the portal, plus a highly ranked high school kid. They are killing it in the portal. Man I wish Shaka was still there.

Just unfair at this point.

I wonder what OU will do with the perceived open scholarship. I was excited about Marv, but now want someone else. That's probably a bad thing to say, but oh well.

Besides Shackelford, I doubt there's much left though.

I think you pencil in Moncrieffe at the 4. Do they reward Boone as the starter at 5 since he's been there or will Cisse take that spot from him? That's what practice is for, I guess. Moncrieffe is too good to not start. JMO.

Their bigs are good, and are going to be tough for OU's undersized guys, but, again, they don't scare me as much as their guard play. I hate to bag on him, but especially since Manek is gone. They new guys are going to go after rebounds more fervently.

Agreed on the top part.

I’m interested to see how their guards do when they don’t have the best player who demands all the attention & also happened to be unselfish.

Just unfair at this point.

I wonder what OU will do with the perceived open scholarship. I was excited about Marv, but now want someone else. That's probably a bad thing to say, but oh well.

Besides Shackelford, I doubt there's much left though.

Don’t get me wrong. I would have taken Carr in a heartbeat. But he’s a career 39% shooter. Shot 32% from three last year … and hasn’t played for a winner in three years as a lead guard. Scored 19 per game and was only third team all conference.

He’ll be really good. I don’t know that he puts UT over the top. Heard some people saying they would rank them #1 in the preseason.

Projected lineup from Rothstein

27. Oklahoma State

Projected Starting 5:
G Isaac Likekele
G Avery Anderson
G Rondel Walker
F Matthew-Alexander Moncrieffe
C Kalib Boone

Projected Bench: Keylan Boone, Moussa Cisse, Bernard Kouma, Montreal Pena Jr., Donovan Williams, Chris Harris Jr., Woody Newton, Bryce Thompson, Tyreek Smith, Bryce Williams

Newcomers: Woody Newton (Syracuse), Bryce Thompson (Kansas), Tyreek Smith (Texas Tech), Moussa Cisse (Memphis)

Losses: Cade Cunningham, Ferron Flavors

He doesn't even have us in his top 45?

That just seems crazy to me.

He doesn't even have us in his top 45?

That just seems crazy to me.

We have a new team for all intents and purposes and it leads to too many unknowns. I'd rather be better than who we really are as compared to being better than who people think we are for one is real while the other is just perception.

In one of his earlier tweets I thought he had us at like 29?

Consider a few things here about OSU.....

• Cisse was the #14 overall player in the class of 2020 (5 star)
  • Thompson was the #21 overall player in the class of 2020 (5 star)
  • Woody Newton was the #126 overall player in the class of 2020 (4 star)
  • Avery Anderson was the #111 overall player in class of 2019 (4 star)
  • Matt Moncrieffe was the #1 recruit out of Canada (4 star)
  • Rondel Walker was the #111 overall player in the class of 2020 (4 star)
  • Kalib Boone was the #114 overall player in the class of 2019 (4 star)
  • Tyreek Smith was the #104 overall player in the class of 2019 (4 star)

This is a very good collection of talent. And more than anything, they have a chance to be an elite defensive team.

Cisse basically averaged 7 and 6, with nearly 2 blocks per game and only played 18 minutes per game at Memphis. He was the American conference rookie of the year and barely even played. He's going to be a a machine next year. He's got a 7'4'' wingspan and a 9-4 standing reach. This guy will play in the NBA.

Avery Anderson, Bryce Thompson, and Rondel Walker are a great group of guards... I think Ice Likekle is going to be a 6th man guy. I know he's a senior, but he never developed a shot. The other 3 guys are just more talented and more athletic than him. He's a good player, but these other dudes are REALLY good.

Walker was the 3rd or 4th option and a true freshman... Great on defense. 16/3 against TCU, 20/3 against ISU, 12/2 against WVU, 15/3 against KSU, 11/5 against OU, 11/6 against Baylor, 13/2 against WSU, 16/1 against Marquette, 10/8 against Kansas... True freshman on a team dominated by other guys. He's a stud.

Do that same analysis on OU....

• Umoja Gibson was unranked out of high school
  • Elijah Harkless was unranked out of high school
  • Ethan Chargois was unranked out of high school
  • Tanner Groves was unranked out of high school
  • Jacob Groves was unranked out of high school
  • Rick Issanza was unranked 3 star coming out of high school
  • Bijan Cortes unranked 3 star
  • Jordan Goldwire was unranked 3 star coming out of high school
  • Alston Mason is unranked 3 star coming out of high school
  • Akol Mawein is unranked 3 star coming out of juco
  • CJ Noland #83 overall player, 4 star coming out of high school
  • Jalen Hill #131 overall player, 4 star coming out of high school

Now.... we know Groves, Harkless, Gibson, Chargois, etc can play.... But OU is the king of the "diamond in the rough" right now.

On paper, OSU has so much more high-profile talent than OU it's not even funny.

• Cisse was the #14 overall player in the class of 2020 (5 star)
  • Thompson was the #21 overall player in the class of 2020 (5 star)
  • Woody Newton was the #126 overall player in the class of 2020 (4 star)
  • Avery Anderson was the #111 overall player in class of 2019 (4 star)
  • Matt Moncrieffe was the #1 recruit out of Canada (4 star)
  • Rondel Walker was the #111 overall player in the class of 2020 (4 star)
  • Kalib Boone was the #114 overall player in the class of 2019 (4 star)
  • Tyreek Smith was the #104 overall player in the class of 2019 (4 star)

This is a very good collection of talent. And more than anything, they have a chance to be an elite defensive team.

Cisse basically averaged 7 and 6, with nearly 2 blocks per game and only played 18 minutes per game at Memphis. He was the American conference rookie of the year and barely even played. He's going to be a a machine next year. He's got a 7'4'' wingspan and a 9-4 standing reach. This guy will play in the NBA.

Avery Anderson, Bryce Thompson, and Rondel Walker are a great group of guards... I think Ice Likekle is going to be a 6th man guy. I know he's a senior, but he never developed a shot. The other 3 guys are just more talented and more athletic than him. He's a good player, but these other dudes are REALLY good.

Walker was the 3rd or 4th option and a true freshman... Great on defense. 16/3 against TCU, 20/3 against ISU, 12/2 against WVU, 15/3 against KSU, 11/5 against OU, 11/6 against Baylor, 13/2 against WSU, 16/1 against Marquette, 10/8 against Kansas... True freshman on a team dominated by other guys. He's a stud.

Do that same analysis on OU....

• Umoja Gibson was unranked out of high school
  • Elijah Harkless was unranked out of high school
  • Ethan Chargois was unranked out of high school
  • Tanner Groves was unranked out of high school
  • Jacob Groves was unranked out of high school
  • Rick Issanza was unranked 3 star coming out of high school
  • Bijan Cortes unranked 3 star
  • Jordan Goldwire was unranked 3 star coming out of high school
  • Alston Mason is unranked 3 star coming out of high school
  • Akol Mawein is unranked 3 star coming out of juco
  • CJ Noland #83 overall player, 4 star coming out of high school
  • Jalen Hill #131 overall player, 4 star coming out of high school

Now.... we know Groves, Harkless, Gibson, Chargois, etc can play.... But OU is the king of the "diamond in the rough" right now.

On paper, OSU has so much more high-profile talent than OU it's not even funny.

Either this is the place where people will be unbiased in their assessment of those wearing the orange and black or it's to be found somewhere else. You make the call.

I have no idea if OU or oswho will be better this season, but you do this every year with two or three teams, and as always, your spin is so transparent as to insult our intelligence.

In the post above, you listed eight oswho players who had stars coming out of high school and none who didn't.

For OU you listed 12 players and you put all those who had no stars at the top of your list and those who had the most stars at the bottom.

Meanwhile, five of the six unstarred Sooner players you cited are actually accomplished players at the D1 level, so what their ranking coming out of high school means at this point is ... nada. Nothing. Zip. You didn't mention that Goldwire made the All-ACC defensive team or that Tanner Groves was the MVP of the Big Sky conference.

You must really think we're idiots.

I have no idea if OU or oswho will be better this season, but you do this every year with two or three teams, and as always, your spin is so transparent as to insult our intelligence.

In the post above, you listed eight oswho players who had stars coming out of high school and none who didn't.

For OU you listed 12 players and you put all those who had no stars at the top of your list and those who had the most stars at the bottom.

Meanwhile, five of the six unstarred Sooner players you cited are actually accomplished players at the D1 level, so what their ranking coming out of high school means at this point is ... nada. Nothing. Zip. You didn't mention that Goldwire made the All-ACC defensive team or that Tanner Groves was the MVP of the Big Sky conference.

His tactic would be like emphasizing high school GPA in assessing a group of 30-year-old job candidates who have since graduated college and been in the work force for nearly a decade. I’m pretty confident Mo, EJ, Tanner, and Jacob can be good college players since, ya know, they’ve already shown that they are good college players. But maybe I should lose sleep because recruiting services didn’t think highly of them a few years ago. Lol

The odds of them finishing bottom 3 is 5-10x more likely than top 3 in conference.

Texas, on the other hand...****!

I clearly stated that OU is thriving on "diamond in the rough" kind of guys... Transfers from North Texas, Cal State Northridge, Eastern Washington, etc. Guys who didn't have any offers out of high school. That's what diamond in the rough means in this context.

OSU has more high level talent than OU does. It's just that simple. OU is going to be experienced, tough, gritty, etc. OSU is going to be more athletic and talented. Both of those are effective ways of winning.

I have been very high on this OU team. I like this team. I said in another thread I think OU will compete for a top 4 spot in the league. That is VERY high praise in this league. As the transfer situation settles things keep changing... Texas just got that kid from Minnesota... OSU just got the kid from Memphis. Etc.

Texas is the clear #1 in my opinion.

I clearly stated that OU is thriving on "diamond in the rough" kind of guys...

You glossed over (to put it mildly) the accomplishments and experience of OU's players and you conveniently neglected to mention any oswho players who didn't fit your spin. You mention an aggie winning Frosh of the Year and omit T. Groves winning conference MVP. Ridiculous.

Of course, this is nothing new for you -- it's your standard MO. Cherry-picked and skewed info, and when you're called on it, it's "Who, me??"

Leaning on high school star ratings to rate players who have a year or more D1 experience is laughable. All that matters now is what they have done in college. I won a few 50-yard dashes in fifth grade, but don't watch for me in the Olympics next week.

Last edited:
You glossed over (to put it mildly) the accomplishments and experience of OU's players and you conveniently neglected to mention any oswho players who didn't fit your spin. You mention an aggie winning Frosh of the Year and omit T. Groves winning conference MVP. Ridiculous.

Of course, this is nothing new for you -- it's your standard MO. Cherry-picked and skewed info, and when you're called on it, it's "Who, me??"

Leaning on high school star ratings to rate players who have a year or more D1 experience is laughable. All that matters now is what they have done in college. I won a few 50-yard dashes in fifth grade, but don't watch for me in the Olympics next week.

I still don't think you are grasping what I meant when I said "diamond in the rough".

Just chill..... I love this OU team, and have stated that in other threads. I think its going to be a really good OU team. I don't think they will be as talented or athletic as OSU, but they will have other qualities. Age, maturity, skill, grit, toughness, etc. I am a a Sampson guy.... I love teams like that.

We have spent more time as a board breaking down the OSU roster in great detail than we have in general conversation about what we expect from our team this year.

We have spent more time as a board breaking down the OSU roster in great detail than we have in general conversation about what we expect from our team this year.
This.

Not enough excitement on our own squad and too much time spent on Texass and OSU and worrying about their rosters and "potential".

The funny thing is, with all this time talking about the teams in orange, KU and the defending national champion say hello. KU is ranked in the top 4 in almost every preseason ranking so far. This conference will be tough, no doubt. Maybe the best 1-7 we have seen. But we have a chance to make some noise too, and looks like are getting attention as Moser builds on the future.

Let those in Stillwater worry about OSU. To modify what Gene Hackman said in Hoosiers, "My team is on the floor...in Norman"

With the off-season we have off-season commentary thus it's par for the course. Then there are other elements which are par for the course as well.

For years, summer is always spent talking about OU and all the other teams in the league. In fact, I used to do a write-up on every Big 12 team.

This is normal business.

If you want to talk about OU's team in more detail than what is available in the other threads, start one.

Back