OSU up 43-41 over Pine Bluff in 2nd half

If you are playing both Penn and Page who do you have guard someone like Warren? Who guards Dunn? How do you guard any of Texas's many great guards? I think it is certainly a concern from OSU that they are giving up size and athleticism to just about everyone in the Big XII at the guards position. However, I do think it isn't as bad as it sounds though. Page proved he can hold his own last year and Penn will keep improving, but it does mean that Anderson and Moses will have to play well in most conference games for OSU to win.

I know DM... I don't buy comparative scores either... I was just stirrin' up trouble. :)

I agree with you about our backcourt. Playing Page and Penn at the same time just isn't going to cut it against most teams.

Tulsa's big athletic guards really caused problems for us.

The upside, from OSU's perspective, is that Penn had his best game as a Poke that night. The problem was that Page had one of his worst.

OSU really needs Fred Gulley to continue to improve his ball security so that he can provide more minues as a defensive presence on the perimeter.
How is OSU going to handle a team like OU in regards to guard play with two sub 6 foot guards? I don't think Penn is a horrible match up for TMG but it seems OU is going to exploit the heck out of Page. I know he can't cover WW one on one, would they throw him on Cade/Davis and try to make the "weakest" OU guard on the court beat them? Or really any team, can't imagine Keiton having fun with KU or Texas' guards.

I think the real story that everyone is missing is that osu only had 3700+ in the stands yesterday. I'm so sick of hearing about OU fans not showing up and how great osu fans are. Can anyone explain this one?

How is OSU going to handle a team like OU in regards to guard play with two sub 6 foot guards? I don't think Penn is a horrible match up for TMG but it seems OU is going to exploit the heck out of Page. I know he can't cover WW one on one, would they throw him on Cade/Davis and try to make the "weakest" OU guard on the court beat them? Or really any team, can't imagine Keiton having fun with KU or Texas' guards.

That's the exact point I just made. I said that having Penn and Page playing at the same time isn't going to work most nights.

The four-guard lineup just isn't going to work if you have two sub-six foot guys out there.

Penn can make up for it with quickness to a certain extent. He did a respectable job against Ben Uzoh, who is a senior and as good as just about anybody in the Big 12.

But putting Page on the floor at the same time just creates too much of a defensive mismatch for OSU at the two-guard, especially if they can't take advantage of the matchup on the other end.

However, I do think it isn't as bad as it sounds though. Page proved he can hold his own last year and Penn will keep improving, but it does mean that Anderson and Moses will have to play well in most conference games for OSU to win.

Page did OK last year because we had three other highly athletic guards who were versitale defenders on the perimeter (Harris, Muenelo, Anderson).

Having both him and Penn on the floor at the same time just isn't going to work, IMO.

My personal opinion is that Page needs to come off the bench.

Penn has shown that he's more than capable of running the offense. His assist to turnover ratio is 1.6 and he can get inside and score some.

I realy think that if Roger Franklin, who has been a very plesant surprise, could continue to improve, he could fill the role that Terell Harris filled last year.

I would really like to see what this lineup could do:

Penn
Anderson
Franklin
Muenelo
Moses

Then you would have Page, Gulley, and Pligram to come off the bench.

I think the real story that everyone is missing is that osu only had 3700+ in the stands yesterday. I'm so sick of hearing about OU fans not showing up and how great osu fans are. Can anyone explain this one?

That would only be "the real story" if it was a surprise.

This has been going on for a while. Of course, it's even worse when the students are gone for Christmas break, which was the case on Sunday.

Its something that must be pretty disturbing to OSU basketball fans. I mean, they are selling tickets for $10 now, and still drawing the worst crowds in the Big 12 (by someone not named Colorado). Pretty crazy that we had dreadful attendance for the Centenary game and still put more than 2000 more butts in the seats than aggie. Our lowest attendance is better than their best attendance. And as Jeff mentioned, it has been that way for several years now. It has been that way for the greater part of OSU's history.

The difference between the two schools being that OSU has had two great fan eras. It gives me hope that OU can have its first with Capel at the helm. :OUbball-logo: We have had some bright seasons sprinkled in our history (last year was one of them with a low of 9,600 butts in the seats for conference play), but we've yet to see sustained, solid support.

Boone wants a football school, and that is what they are becoming. Boone gets what he wants....

Penn will do fine guarding the big 12's pg's. He gets through screens like they aren't even there and stays with his man every step of the way.

Penn will do fine guarding the big 12's pg's. He gets through screens like they aren't even there and stays with his man every step of the way.

This is something I hope to see OU improve at; we're improving, but there are times that we struggle to get through screens and it results in an open look for the other team.

I know DM... I don't buy comparative scores either... I was just stirrin' up trouble. :)

I agree with you about our backcourt. Playing Page and Penn at the same time just isn't going to cut it against most teams.

Tulsa's big athletic guards really caused problems for us.

The upside, from OSU's perspective, is that Penn had his best game as a Poke that night. The problem was that Page had one of his worst.

OSU really needs Fred Gulley to continue to improve his ball security so that he can provide more minues as a defensive presence on the perimeter.

I actually think OSU and OU match up decently against each other. Warren is going to be a tough matchup for Page, Gulley, or Penn and I wouldn't be suprised to see them move Anderson over to Warren and bring in Franklin to match up with Davis and Crocker at the 4. OU has been using Warren in the post some against guards so that would be tough for OSU's smallish guards. It's not that those guys are poor defenders, it's just that they are mismatches as far as being able to be shot over and stregnth wise in keeping guys out of the paint. Page is a quickness liability.

It's not that those guys are poor defenders, it's just that they are mismatches as far as being able to be shot over and stregnth wise in keeping guys out of the paint.

Yep.

We can get away with it somewhat when there's only one of the two on the floor at a given time.

But with both Penn and Page on the floor at the same time, it makes it tough.

Any road win is a good win. Utah is a respectable program.

I would think a fan of team that is not far removed from a couple of seasons in a row without a road win would understand this but then I would also think anyone with a degree from Oklahomas State University could read.

You're my favorite poster on this website. Honestly.

I think it is more that having penn and/or page out there makes it more difficult for osu to secure defensive boards. Also lanky teams have an easier time delivering the ball to their big men. Getting shot over, while it is an issue, happens a lot less often than you would think.

OU secured two wins versus OSU by our guards shooting over Page. Baylor and TAMU Isolated on Page in game last year and in TAMU's case, it secured a win. In Baylor's case, they almost beat OSU at home.

You don't think blake griffin had as much to do with OU beating OSU? Mizzu was the only team I remember taking full advantage of page by isolating him and who he was guarding on a low block. Baylor was in that game because tweety carter played really well. 5'10 over a 5'8 guy isn't exactly shooting over someone. i didn't watch osu at Tamu last year but I saw the game at GIA and page and moses are the reasons we won that game so easily.

You don't think blake griffin had as much to do with OU beating OSU? Mizzu was the only team I remember taking full advantage of page by isolating him and who he was guarding on a low block. Baylor was in that game because tweety carter played really well. 5'10 over a 5'8 guy isn't exactly shooting over someone. i didn't watch osu at Tamu last year but I saw the game at GIA and page and moses are the reasons we won that game so easily.

If you look at the 20plus pt. game Austin Johnson had and the fact that he hit threes in the face of Page. Warren hit a mid range jumper to seal the deal in Stillwater and a game winning three over page in Norman. Also, you nailed what I was talking about. Baylor ran a 1-4 and Isoed Carter on Page.

Back