OU chose Reynolds directly over Bandoo

thebigabd

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see that play out.... Bandoo is visiting South Carolina and was eliminated by OU. Will be very interesting to see what Reynolds does in 1 year vs 2 years of Bandoo. Reynolds may be huge and Bandoo may be a role player, who knows at this point, but will be interesting to see it develop.

For those who don't know, Bandoo is a 6'3'' combo guard who shoots 44% from the 3pt line. He is a good athlete and plays for a program who sends multiple kids to D1 every year.

Article below:

“People are calling,” Cyriac said, “but he’s the kind of kid where he’s not trying to make a dramatic thing. Oklahoma was very interested, but they got a grad transfer just last weekend.

“There’s schools calling from different levels, but I think he’s kind of like, ‘Well, if I go to South Carolina and I like it for me, I’m just going to go to South Carolina. I’m not going to make a circus out of it. Like if I go there and it’s for me, why do I need to go somewhere else?’
“If he didn’t (commit to USC) for whatever reason – and I’m not saying he will or won’t – and he’s not sure, then I think he’ll probably call me or call somebody and say, ‘Hey, what else should I do?’ That’s just the way he operates.”
Recruiting site 247Sports.com lists Oklahoma, West Virginia, Houston and New Mexico as programs that have offered Bandoo. South Carolina, however, might have an edge.
Cyriac, who’s coached on all levels of college basketball and was once a scout for the Philadelphia 76ers, has a longstanding relationship with Martin. While an assistant for Seward Community College in 2011, Cyriac sent JUCO All-American guard Jeremy Jones to play for Martin at Kansas State.
“It’s a good situation for Devonte,” Cyriac said. “They have a great opportunity for him athletically. Obviously, I’m not the one that has to go to school there, but I have a high comfort level with Coach Martin and (USC director of basketball operations) Andy Assaley. I’ve known them since Kansas State.

“I’m not the one that’s making the decision for him – I’m not the one that’s got to go to school there – but I'm just comfortable. And I’ve taken the time to explain that to him. ‘There’s a ton of good opportunities out there, but this one’s right in front of you in a lot of ways.’”
Bandoo is from Canada but has ties to the South after playing AAU ball in Atlanta for Stackhouse Elite, run by former North Carolina star and NBA player Jerry Stackhouse.

Brendan Walker, the national director of junior college scouting and recruiting for Elite Basketball Services, told The State on Thursday that Bandoo is the best unsigned JUCO player remaining in the ’18 class.
“I think he’d fit in real well,” Walker said of South Carolina. “One of the things that he’s done in his two years of JUCO is his body went from being 6-3 and kind of lanky to now he’s like strong. His forearms are much bigger.
“He’s a really good defender. You don’t get to see that a lot in junior college, but he’s going to be a real good defender at the next level. He plays hard. So you gotta think that’s what Coach Martin wants a lot of.”

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...ecruiting/article208784079.html#storylink=cpy

Interesting. I really liked the Hutch kid a lot though. Reynolds I just couldn't get a good feel for from film. My idea would of been having Bandoo here and competing for the starting 1 his first year and maybe more of an off guard his second year once Harmon arrives.

Could also be... 1 year vs 2 year deal commitment.

An extra 2019 ship...

If 2019 plays out the way its headed... 2019 class will be huge. I know ive said that multiple times but it could be really special.

An extra 2019 ship...

If 2019 plays out the way its headed... 2019 class will be huge. I know ive said that multiple times but it could be really special.

To me, this is probably what it's about. The coaches would rather have some of those 2019 guys they feel good about rather than having an extra year from Bandoo.

Does this mean OU could have 7 seniors next season? James, Odomes, McNeace, Lazenby, Reynolds, Calixte, and maybe Cunningham. That’s a huge number of scholarships for 2019. They only get 13. Talk about a roster makeover......

Does this mean OU could have 7 seniors next season? James, Odomes, McNeace, Lazenby, Reynolds, Calixte, and maybe Cunningham. That’s a huge number of scholarships for 2019. They only get 13. Talk about a roster makeover......

and 3 srs the next year...

An extra 2019 ship...

If Bandoo is inconsequential, I would buy that... If he comes in and averages 11-13 per game or so in first year I'd say that was a mistake not to take him when you had the chance.

I am also hesitant of star chasing again in 2019... that strategy has not played out well for OU unless the guy is in our backyard (Blake and Trae).

If Bandoo is inconsequential, I would buy that... If he comes in and averages 11-13 per game or so in first year I'd say that was a mistake not to take him when you had the chance.

I am also hesitant of star chasing again in 2019... that strategy has not played out well for OU unless the guy is in our backyard (Blake and Trae).

OU needs to load up on HS guys. If you bring in 7 HS guys next year you can essentially hold tryouts. We don't need JUCOs.

A bird in the hand etc. What would Capel do, please do the opposite.

In the old Sampson perfect scenario a team would lose 1 or 2 key players and return 5 or 6. Lon seems to be about building a larger group, live through the growing pains then to have mostly upperclassmen, rinse and repeat.

Back