OU in elite 8 for 5th time in my lifetime

Big Old Booger

Reaction score
(This is actually 6th elite 8 game in my lifetime. I forgot one when I posted, can't believe that.)

I can tell you where I was for each game and the emotions I felt after the game was over. I was just sharing this with my wife who is not a sports fan and so she doesn't really understand all the emotion that is triggered.

1985 -- 1 seed OU played 2 seed Memphis State in Reunion Arena in Dallas (Saturday game). We should have won that day but we lost (by 2 or 4 points). Tisdale was shut down by Keith Lee so it was a miracle we were even in the game but we had chances to win but couldn't get over the hump. Once the game was over I can remember my dad was all upset, and I was crying (I was 14). We knew Wayman was declaring for the NBA so would OU ever have another chance to make the Final 4? A few months later, Wayman did declare for the NBA and I cried again.

1988 -- 1 seed OU played Villanova in Birmingham (Saturday game). We won, by about 20 points after a dismal first half. We came out after halftime and blew them out of the arena. My dad, mom and brother there with me, all of us watching and excited. I think my mom made cake and ice cream and we celebrated. Then OU lost to KU and my dad said that would be our last chance to ever win an NC. I cried again after the loss to KU.

2002 -- 2 seed OU played Missouri in the LA area (Saturday game). My wife and I were living in Mobile (Alabama). We had a crawfish boil earlier that day and my wife was drunk after drinking a full bottle of wine :ez-laugh: . We won again that day and euphoria sat in and I thought we had a legit chance to win it all. But we lost to Indiana as you know and watched a team we had beaten earlier in the season, Maryland win it all.

2003 -- 1 OU played Syracuse in Albany (Sunday game). Still living in MObile at this point and we went to church that morning. We rushed home from church and by the time we arrived home OU was losing by double-digits. Never really recovered from the opening knockout punch by Syracuse.

2009 -- 2 seed OU Played 1 seed UNC in Memphis (Saturday). Lost to UNC in a game that UNC had taken control of fairly early. Had a big halftime lead and we really couldn't get back into the game. Blake outplayed the UNC center, can't remember his name, but as a team, UNC had too many horses. I wasn't as upset that day because I really thought with what we had coming back and the burger boys we had signed we were in good hands. I thought another run could be possible in a year or 2 but the next year we totally collapsed.

Now today, here we are and I think we are going to win. However, if we don't, I will remember where we were 5 years ago. How far we had fallen as a program and I don't think any of us thought within 5 years we would be playing for the Final 4.

:OU-logo: :lon

Last edited:
I can tell you where I was for each game and the emotions I felt after the game was over. I was just sharing this with my wife who is not a sports fan and so she doesn't really understand all the emotion that is triggered.

1985 -- OU played Memphis State in Reunion Arena in Dallas (Saturday game). We should have won that day but we lost (by 2 or 4 points). Tisdale was shut down by Keith Lee so it was a miracle we were even in the game but we had chances to win but couldn't get over the hump. Once the game was over I can remember my dad was all upset, and I was crying (I was 14). We knew Wayman was declaring for the NBA so would OU ever have another chance to make the Final 4? A few months later, Wayman did declare for the NBA and I cried again.

1988 -- OU played Villanova in Birmingham (Saturday game). We won, by about 20 points after a dismal first half. We came out after halftime and blew them out of the arena. My dad, mom and brother there with me, all of us watching and excited. I think my mom made cake and ice cream and we celebrated. Then OU lost to KU and my dad said that would be our last chance to ever win an NC. I cried again after the loss to KU.

2002 -- OU played Missouri in the LA area (Saturday game). My wife and I were living in Mobile (Alabama). We had a crawfish boil earlier that day and my wife was drunk after drinking a full bottle of wine :ez-laugh: . We won again that day and euphoria sat in and I thought we had a legit chance to win it all. But we lost to Indiana as you know and watched a team we had beaten earlier in the season, Maryland win it all.

2003 -- OU played Syracuse in Albany (Sunday game). Still living in MObile at this point and we went to church that morning. We rushed home from church and by the time we arrived home OU was losing by double-digits. Never really recovered from the opening knockout punch by Syracuse.

Now today, here we are and I think we are going to win. However, if we don't, I will remember where we were 5 years ago. How far we had fallen as a program and I don't think any of us thought within 5 years we would be playing for the Final 4.

:OU-logo: :lon

You forgot an Elite 8 game. The loss to UNC by Blake and the gang.

Back