OU rallies late to stun Texas in overtime

bluesooner17

Reaction score
OU rallies late to stun Texas in overtime

Oklahoma women's basketball rallied to beat Texas, 68-63, Saturday afternoon in overtime.

Gabby Gregory scored 19 points while Taylor Robertson added 14 and Skylar Vann had

13. It was the first win for the Sooners in Austin since 2013.

The Sooners went on an 8-0 run to cut the Texas lead to 59-57 with a minute to play. Nevaeh Tot's two free throws sent the game into overtime at 59-all then her jumper gave OU it first lead in overtime.

Texas tied it but Tatum Veitnheimer's 3-pointer from the corner gave OU the lead for good, 66-63, with 23.4 seconds left in overtime.

And the Sooners accomplished this with its top two scores on the bench with five fouls. Maddie Williams was in foul trouble almost from the get-go and scored a total of three points. Yet the Sooners were still able to rally back from a 13-point fourth-quarter deficit and beat the Longhorns.

And the Sooners accomplished this with its top two scores on the bench with five fouls. Maddie Williams was in foul trouble almost from the get-go and scored a total of three points. Yet the Sooners were still able to rally back from a 13-point fourth-quarter deficit and beat the Longhorns.

And we were almost without Gabby late in the game due to what appeared to be an asthma attack but she was able to come back in.

Say what you want about Sherri but she has this team playing hard and within their talents. Go Sooners!

Say what you want about Sherri but she has this team playing hard and within their talents. Go Sooners!

Agreed. That’s why I had a complete reversal in my opinion of Sherri after watching the Baylor game a couple of weeks ago. OU lost that game. But the players were obviously well coached, and the fire I remembered from Sherri during our glory days when I was a season ticket holder was also back.

One thing is for sure. The team of student-athletes are clearly playing for one another. The chemistry and camaraderie appears to be very strong between them. You can see it in their eyes and the way they encourage each other, especially from the bench. You've got LScott with her arm in a sling/injured jumping around like they are on their way to the FF. ALlanusa injured and a twinkle in her eye as though she knows something special is about to happen that she has not experienced before. You've got MWilliams on the bench; couldn't buy a bucket and in foul trouble the whole game. Three whole points she scored but she scored 100 from the bench. When TRobertson joined her in the fouled out section, they provided more "assists" than they ever could have from the floor. MSimpson. IMHO...player of the game. I know. I'm shocked too, but she came through like a charm and actually looked liked she had a ton of confidence at the end when they needed it most. NTot, GGregory, TVeitenhemier and SVann hustled and hustled and hustled. NTot played as though she had been there before. If they continue to develop HGreer (academically and athletically) and LScott, bring in the next class with some strong development AND find then SIGN a top post player that can play with their back to the basket as well as shoot from the perimeter...BStewart (UCONN/Seattle Storm) type...there is hope for the next 3-4 years. Without a strong front court, they will never beat baylor again.

With all of that said, it all is going to depend on what SC allows. I'll admit that she probably had her best overall coaching display versus the longhorns in the past 10 years against a great coaching staff. She was up coaching more than sitting and looking bewildered. junior is not a good idea any way you cut it. I still think that she should step away into a different roll to allow an opportunity for a new head coach to build relationships with high school and club coaches that has been lost; deteriorated over the years. AND allow CParis and JStiles to recruit freely, then trust their opinions. They are the ones who have to build the initial relationships. There is also that part regarding stereotyping and race relations that will need to be overcome relative to SC. A new head coach without their adult child would be a start. But I don't think it will happen before 2024 if ever.

Back