OUHoops.com: Signing Day Synopsis

Henzo

Reaction score
OUHoops.com takes a brief look at the current commitments set to sign with Oklahoma along with an outlook of the other potential early period signees and the Sooners chances with each one.

Link: OUHoops.com > Signing Day Synopsis

Great summaries of those guys games. Hopefully we get some good news in the next week, but realistically a lot of these guys may take their recruiting into the late signing period. It will be nice to officially have TJ and Cam sign the LOI so we can hear what Capel has to say about them.

Henzo, I see that we are recruiting jones to play a wing spot...if that is the case what post players are we recruiting? It seems the most important committment would be a post player since we already have committments from clark and tj while still having pledger and tmg for years to come

Henzo, I see that we are recruiting jones to play a wing spot...if that is the case what post players are we recruiting? It seems the most important committment would be a post player since we already have committments from clark and tj while still having pledger and tmg for years to come

People typically talk about coaches bringing in 'their style of players' and Jones would be the typical version of that. Jones will mostly play on the wing, but he can play all five positions on the floor (he's a former point guard). That's the style Capel wants to run as a head coach. He doesn't like a true center like many teams want. He likes having a guy like Blake or Tiny as his 'big man' with great athleticism. Jones may be considered a 4 when he's on the court, but he'd spend a lot of time handling the ball on the perimeter if he were at Oklahoma.

So recruiting your typical 'post players' are not the primary goal of Capel, in my opinion. Once the undecided recruits make their decisions, he may recruit a couple more post game oriented big men.. but he'd prefer players with great size and athleticism that he could play anywhere.. and get up and down the floor with.

I c what you are saying....but I just think in terms of worse case scenario....tiny has stated that he wants to be one and done and maybe he has changed his mind but there is a possibility he still leaves....

I do think jones runs the 4 and we play a 4 out one in....but that still leaves a backup position open for fitzgerald at the center....I just think that orlando is a bigger dropoff in talent then I would like....orlando can prob do real well in short periods...but what happens if fitz gets in foul trouble....

I guess I am just way ahead of myself but I would liek to see us getting a solid Center "fitz style"

Dont really know,his dad run a tight ship in that kids camp.The dad is hands on in this kids career,i was told the dad is waiting to see if we get Jones,are Harrison.Do not quote me on that.

Dont really know,his dad run a tight ship in that kids camp.The dad is hands on in this kids career,i was told the dad is waiting to see if we get Jones,are Harrison.Do not quote me on that.

It would really surprise me if that was the case, chico. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can't imagine Clark or his father wouldn't want to have talented players surrounding Cam. Not only does it make the team better, but it will give Cam a lot of space to do what he does best, attack the rim.. which would showcase him even more as a player. He'd obviously be a key part of any team OU puts on the floor with or without those guys. I may understand a minor concern over Barnes... even though I absolutely do think they'd both be on the court playing alongside one another, but Jones wouldn't play the same position and, alongside Clark, would help take Oklahoma to that next level.. so can't imagine either one being an issue, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Back