#19 OU vs Providence Big12/Big East Challenge Post game link added in OP

Re: #19 OU vs Providence Big12/Big East Challenge 6PM CST on ESPNU

I wasn’t their work didn’t finish until after the game. Normally done sooner but getting to Norman by 6 is hard without taking off late afternoon.

Please beat Arkansas. Please.

How bout this Grand Canyon crowd? Is that whatshisface coaching GC? LOL

Providence took a 1 point lead with 15+ minutes left and only scored 11 more points the rest of the game. WOW

It was a pretty good crowd for 6 o clock start non conference on a Tuesday. Let’s give the fans some credit for making positive progress. The last 2 games have been solid from the fans.

Our defense has to be like top 15. Very active hands. Players look smarter at all 5 positions too

KenPom has us at 13th in Defense, 40th in Offense.

KenPom has us at 13th in Defense, 40th in Offense.

And 18th overall (4th in the Big 12).

We're currently ranked above Duke, Kentucky, texas, Villanova, Arkansas...just to cite some schools that jumped out at me.

yep PC is a very good team with a very good coach

But it is really odd to see Providence playing.....and no Ed Cooley on the sidelines. Can't believe he left PC for Georgetown...ugh.

This was the type of game this team needed at the right time. A grind it out struggle and then they responded down the stretch. I mentioned it earlier in the week, this team is really good. I've watched a lot of ball thus far...and we can play with pretty much anyone. We'll have nights when it's a bad matchup for us, but this team is versatile enough to play more than one type of style and win.

what a freaking response to losing the lead. defense carried it, los and javian brought it home. 7 steals in the first 8 minutes. and godwin was excellent coming off covid. carter gets their first 11, and we shut him down after that. way to get it done when 3s aren’t falling. keep t rolling…

Last edited:
As I always do, I synched Toby's radio broadcast while watching the game live but I'm rewatching now. The announcers are competent enough, but sheesh, it's clear they came in thinking Providence was the story of tonight's game. The play-by-play guy calls good plays by PC very differently than he does OU. If you read a transcript of his call, it wouldn't be apparent, but the energy level and emphasis he used in calling highlights for PC was drastically different than when OU performed well. I'll be interested to see if that changes in the final 10 minutes of the second half, but it's been very noticeable up to the 15-minute mark, which is where i am now.

The color guy, too, is very PC-focused. It's not that they don't have ever say anything positive about OU, but the lean is definitely toward Providence and you'd think Carter was a lock for national player of the year, the way they're lavishing praise on him. Meanwhile, OU had two players score as much or more than he did, and in fewer minutes.

Last edited:
I finally got to watch the game late last night. This was a very good performance. I never felt like Providence was going to win, even when they took the lead briefly. Also, Oweh's block made SportsCenter's top 10 at number 4!

What a great performance. Rebounding is the thing that stands out the most.

As I always do, I synched Toby's radio broadcast while watching the game live but I'm rewatching now. The announcers are competent enough, but sheesh, it's clear they came in thinking Providence was the story of tonight's game. The play-by-play guy calls good plays by PC very differently than he does OU. If you read a transcript of his call, it wouldn't be apparent, but the energy level and emphasis he used in calling highlights for PC was drastically different than when OU performed well. I'll be interested to see if that changes in the final 10 minutes of the second half, but it's been very noticeable up to the 15-minute mark, which is where i am now.

The color guy, too, is very PC-focused. It's not that they don't have ever say anything positive about OU, but the lean is definitely toward Providence and you'd think Carter was a lock for national player of the year, the way they're lavishing praise on him. Meanwhile, OU had two players score as much or more than he did, and in fewer minutes.

I thought the same thing while watching it last night, e.g. how they called plays for PC vs. OU, how they talked about PC players vs. OU, etc. I seem to recall at one point that they mentioned they had seen PC play multiple times this year, and that could have been the reason.

I thought the same thing while watching it last night, e.g. how they called plays for PC vs. OU, how they talked about PC players vs. OU, etc. I seem to recall at one point that they mentioned they had seen PC play multiple times this year, and that could have been the reason.

The color guy, it turns out, coached at Providence. Perhaps not the ideal choice for an OU home game (not that the announcers should favor the home team, but they certainly shouldn't favor the visitors). Finally, with a couple of minutes remaining in the game, they gave McCollum his due but for most of the game it was Carter and couple of other PC players they focused on.

Neely, the PBP guy, never did warm up to the Sooners, even as they were running the Friars out of the gym. He was consistent throughout in showing MUCH more enthusiasm for solid PC plays than those by OU.

Would love to be undefeated going into B12 play, and play Kansas as an undefeated, higher ranked team. What are our shots? I think we'll know a lot more about this team after Arkansas....they aren't ranked, but they are talented and will be an NCAA tourney team. I think they had the #1 recruiting class for '22, if i'm not mistaken. Not sure how many of them stayed after last season, but my point is it should be a good test! Thoughts? Didn't get to catch last night's game, unfortunately.

Would love to be undefeated going into B12 play, and play Kansas as an undefeated, higher ranked team. What are our shots? I think we'll know a lot more about this team after Arkansas....they aren't ranked, but they are talented and will be an NCAA tourney team. I think they had the #1 recruiting class for '22, if i'm not mistaken. Not sure how many of them stayed after last season, but my point is it should be a good test! Thoughts? Didn't get to catch last night's game, unfortunately.

Kansas lost to Marquette. North Carolina will be tough to win on the road basically.

Back