Perspective: Looking Forward to Next Season

Just to support what you are saying, on more than one occasion this season at Tip In Club functions, I have heard Coach Kruger state that he believes that Khadeem Lattin will be a double-digit scorer before he leaves OU. The OU coaches do, in fact, believe that both Lattin and McNease have a significant upside. I have heard this from both Coach Kruger, and from an assistant OU coach.

We shall see if the coaches are correct in their projection of player develop for these young men.

Same things I've heard from the coaches since before Lattin even arrived on campus. They believe he can develop into what they want at the 4. Whether it happens or not is up to Khadeem and if playing him there fits the team's needs.

Next year will be fun, and we will have a good team, and make the tournament. All the negative nellies will disappear and act like they always knew it would happen. A couple will admit they were wrong and eat humble pie.

:OUbball-logo::OUbball-logo::OUbball-logo::OUbball-logo:

BOOMER SOONER!!

Pledger, mbaye, Hield, and Clark was also on that team and next year's team doesn't compare to that team.

You expect double digits from Lattin? He's going to have to stop fouling to get that.

Clark wasn't worth anything until his sr season, he didn't even start as a jr because he couldn't beat out Osby at the 4.

Osby was good no doubt and so was M'Baye. Hield was a true freshman -- played a lot but didn't start.

Pledger wasn't very good. Streaky shooter who couldn't play defense, couldn't handle the ball, had very few assists, and didn't rebound. He's lucky Hield was only a freshman or else he would have taken Pledgers spot.

Not to mention that was Lon's 2nd year. He was still teaching the Capel players how to play real basketball.

So, in short, next year will be at least as good as that team.

Pledger wasn't very good. Streaky shooter who couldn't play defense, couldn't handle the ball, had very few assists, and didn't rebound. He's lucky Hield was only a freshman or else he would have taken Pledgers spot.

So, in short, next year will be at least as good as that team.

I agree with the sentence in your second paragraph. I believe we'll get in the Tournament which is what Lon's second OU team did. However, I think you're selling Pledger a bit short. He is the 14th leading scorer in school history and the opponents game-planned around his abilities during his last two years.

I think putting undue pressure on a team that we have no idea how they will gel, and they will STILL have the exact same weakness they had this year - they can't score in the post - is unfair. Why not see how they do in the fall before saying NCAA or bust?! That isn't fair to a team that loses this much.

I think putting undue pressure on a team that we have no idea how they will gel, and they will STILL have the exact same weakness they had this year - they can't score in the post - is unfair. Why not see how they do in the fall before saying NCAA or bust?! That isn't fair to a team that loses this much.

We absolutely have the talent to make the Dance, and we should make it. Even worst case, we should make it (save a bunch of injuries or something). Our roster is just too talented not to.

We absolutely have the talent to make the Dance, and we should make it. Even worst case, we should make it (save a bunch of injuries or something). Our roster is just too talented not to.

Agreed. And I'll also say that OUr program is in a place where making the dance is an every year expectation. We are in just such a better place than when Ro left as a Senior. And if you were to ask the group of Seniors leaving their expectation would be make the dance as a minimum.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...acuse-and-oklahoma-will-look-like-next-season

OKLAHOMA

The Sooners will lose three proud veterans in Cousins, Hield, and Spangler, but there's still enough left over to compete for a bid to the NCAA Tournament. Woodard will be one of the better guards in the Big 12 as a senior and the Sooners' staff is also expecting a breakout year from Buford at power forward. James, Odomes, and Grandstaff (eligible in December) should log the bulk of the minutes on the wing along with incoming freshman Kameron McGusty -- a Top-50 recruit nationally. Expect freshman power forward Kristian Doolittle to be a quality reserve behind Buford.

• Key Losses: Isaiah Cousins, Buddy Hield, Ryan Spangler

• Key Newcomers: Austin Grandstaff (Ohio State), Kameron McGusty, Kristian Doolittle

• Projected Starting Five: Jordan Woodard, Christian James, Rashard Odomes, Dante Buford, Khadeem Lattin

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein Mar 29
Starting to think Oklahoma will be sneaky good in 16-17. Sooners return Woodard & several reserves. Add Austin Grandstaff & Kameron McGusty.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein Mar 29
Starting to think Oklahoma will be sneaky good in 16-17. Sooners return Woodard & several reserves. Add Austin Grandstaff & Kameron McGusty.

Curious to see if ESPN and the rest choose to rank OU in the preseason top-25. Not that preseason polls matter much, but that would be a huge sign of respect for the OU basketball program, given the loss of the three seniors.

Curious to see if ESPN and the rest choose to rank OU in the preseason top-25. Not that preseason polls matter much, but that would be a huge sign of respect for the OU basketball program, given the loss of the three seniors.

I bet we are top 25. I think we make the sweet 16 next year.

I totally agree about our top 25 preseason ranking. I'm not sure if we'll be Sweet 16 good, but don't rule that out completely. A lot will depend on how well a number of talented pieces will come together as a team. Will the team chemistry similar to what we had this year be there? Not necessarily at that level but a degree of team unity good enough to carry us through the adversity we'll face.

I think there are too many unanswered questions at this point to predict how fast and how far next year's team will go.

I agree with the sentence in your second paragraph. I believe we'll get in the Tournament which is what Lon's second OU team did. However, I think you're selling Pledger a bit short. He is the 14th leading scorer in school history and the opponents game-planned around his abilities during his last two years.

Maybe so. It was no secret he was terrible at defense and lacked other skills to be a good power 5 guard. Nice kid, made the one mistake at Dillards but other than that a good student so my feelings aren't personal, and I appreciated his efforts and help with the program under LK. I just get tired of Bgrch always naming him like he's Hollis Price, Corey Brewer, Mookie Blaylock or Buddy Hield. Fact is, he's a step below all of those players and a number of others (Erdmann, McAllister, Nolan Johnson, Ebi Ere, Isaiah Cousins, etc.) who played on both ends and were ultimate competitors.

I think at the end of next year we will be ranked in the 22-25 area and be a 5 to 7 seed

Outside of just being an OU fan, what else are you basing this on?

We're not a top 25 team and that's based on what other teams have coming back compared to what we have coming back.

It will be interesting to see where we finish in the big 12. We finished 3rd this year and we lost 4 out of our top 6 guys. West Virginia, Kansas, Texas, and Iowa state return more starters than us along with the rest of the big 12.

Back