Pitino Story finally comes out

So if you have one night stands, you're supposed to be fired?

The unemployment rate in this country would hover around 60%.

So if you have one night stands, you're supposed to be fired?

The unemployment rate in this country would hover around 60%.

Big difference between a single man having a one night stand and a married father of 5 having a one night stand.

Big difference between a single man having a one night stand and a married father of 5 having a one night stand.

Absolutely!

I don't think Pitino should be fired for what he did. But he deserves to be disciplined, because a married father of five and the head coach of a basketball team who is supposed to be setting an example for young men to follow, should be held to a higher standard.

I realize that is considered "old school" and it's not cool to think that way in this day and age, but that doesn't make what Pitino did right, by any stretch of the imagination.

So you still think he should be fired?

It's not like Pitino has been running around the truth, this wasn't even an issue until Sypher and her husband split, she couldn't handle the trauma and then turned on Pitino for an action that happened in 2003. She lied about being raped and then tried to extort him for $10MM. Pitino did not have to spill the whole story, but he went straight to the administration and his family to tell them the situation. Jurich has known about this since at least April.

Listen, I do not condone the behavior whatsoever, but this is a personal and legal matter. I stand corrected, it isn't even a legal matter, it's the State of Kentucky vs. Sypher, not Rick Pitino vs. Sypher. This has nothing to do with Louisville because it will not effect their program negatively one bit in the long run. When it does, then Louisville should step in. Maybe next summer he'll have to answer some recruiting questions from parents about his morals, but let's be honest, most of the kids he recruits probably don't care. They just want to play basketball at a high level and get into the NBA....which Pitino and Louisville can do.

Last edited:
I don't think he should be fired. But, he should be disciplined in some way.

campbest, I don't see how school officials can afford to just look the other way and doing nothing now that Pitino has fessed up. What kind of example (or precedent for that matter) would that set?

I'm not suggesting they have to do more than the equivalent of a slap of Pitino's hands. But if Louisville fails to at least release a statement saying they don't condone what he did, it will only make matters worse. Kentucky folks don't look kindly on married men who cheat on their wife and kids. And, yes, it had an affect on his children just as much as his wife, maybe more.

campbest, I don't see how school officials can afford to just look the other way and doing nothing now that Pitino has fessed up. What kind of example (or precedent for that matter) would that set?

I'm not suggesting they have to do more than the equivalent of a slap of Pitino's hands. But if Louisville fails to at least release a statement saying they don't condone what he did, it will only make matters worse. Kentucky folks don't look kindly on married men who cheat on their wife and kids. And, yes, it had an affect on his children just as much as his wife, maybe more.

"Regardless of the truth or falsehood of specific actions that have been attributed to the coach, he's clearly made errors in judgment that have come under intense public scrutiny. We can't ignore these errors in judgment, and they have saddened and disappointed me. As we try to teach our students, when you make a mistake, you admit it and right it as best you can. Coach has done that today."

- Dean James Ramsey, University of Louisville

I think there should be a suspension at least.

"Regardless of the truth or falsehood of specific actions that have been attributed to the coach, he's clearly made errors in judgment that have come under intense public scrutiny. We can't ignore these errors in judgment, and they have saddened and disappointed me. As we try to teach our students, when you make a mistake, you admit it and right it as best you can. Coach has done that today."

- Dean James Ramsey, University of Louisville

If nothing beyond that statement happens, I think that's getting off a little light. I would think that telling him that he wouldn't be eligible for a raise after next season would be appropriate - at the least.

When my daughter got in trouble with her favorite coach in 5th grade, I made her write a letter of apology and read it to him out loud. That worked great for her because she was genuinely sorry. Don't know if something like that would work in this case.

If Pitino's mother would like to make him write a letter of apology to his wife and kids, so be it. It is nobody else's business. This is nuts.

If Pitino's mother would like to make him write a letter of apology to his wife and kids, so be it. It is nobody else's business. This is nuts.

You're right, Tony, it's none of our business. But it's obvious by this quote that Dean James Ramsey feels Louisville has a stake in this matter. I would be very surprised if a code of conduct clause is not part of Pitino's contract.

"Regardless of the truth or falsehood of specific actions that have been attributed to the coach, he's clearly made errors in judgment that have come under intense public scrutiny. We can't ignore these errors in judgment, and they have saddened and disappointed me.

You're right, Tony, it's none of our business. But it's obvious by this quote that Dean James Ramsey feels Louisville has a stake in this matter. I would be very surprised if a code of conduct clause is not part of Pitino's contract.

I stand corrected.

The current situation doesn't matter much to his incoming McDonald's All-American...

"Yo I ain't leaving," incoming freshman Peyton Siva posted on his Twitter account. "Rick['s] personal life is his life. He's here to coach me and is the best teach of hoop to me! So like the fans say, 'Go Cards.'"

Last edited:
Yes, there is a morals clause in Pitino's contract. It is written so vaguely as to allow Louisville to fire Pitino for practically anything. I can tell you that if Joe Castiglione tried to suspend or fire an Oklahoma coach for having had an extra-marital affair in his or her private life six years earlier and then getting extorted for it, I would be completely up in arms.

Things like this (the affair) probably happen all the time. The huge problem arises when they are splashed all over the newspapers.

I don't think anyone on here has recommended firing Pitino. Many have said he deserves some type of punishment. That could be a loss of a raise, suspended for the first few games, or whatever the university might want to come up with but as MPS said, doing nothing seems pretty weak.

It got Mike Price fired as football coach at Alabama when he took a stripper back to his room after getting drunk at a charity golf tournament. He coached during spring practice but never actually coached a regular season game.

George O'Leary was basically fired at Notre Dame for lying on his resume' about his academic and athletic background. O'Leary lasted 5 days on the job before getting forced out.

Larry Eustachy at Iowa State was fired for partying with co-eds.

Pitino has probably won too many games to get fired. It he only won 60% of his games he might be getting some more heat.

its one thing to have an affair. But to me, for him to have kept it a secret for so long shows his character.

If you are able to keep an affair under raps for that long, how can you trust him to do the right thing as a bball coach and a representative of a university?

its one thing to have an affair. But to me, for him to have kept it a secret for so long shows his character.

If you are able to keep an affair under raps for that long, how can you trust him to do the right thing as a bball coach and a representative of a university?

I understand what you're saying, Bounce, but that's not the kinda thing you tell people about, unless you want to see your whole world come tumbling down around your feet.

I can't fault the guy for trying to keep the affair a secret. To be honest, I would have done the same thing if I had been stupid enough to be in his shoes. I'm just glad I'm not in Pitino's shoes. But, we should feel sorry for his family, not Rick Pitino.

Back