Pittman to stay with Longhorns

Sooner Quick

Reaction score
AUSTIN, Texas (AP)—Texas forward Dexter Pittman says he’s staying in school and will not make himself eligible for the NBA draft.

Pittman, who is 6-foot-10 and about 300 pounds, averaged 10.1 points and 5.5 rebounds last season as a junior. Those numbers jumped to 15.4 points and 10.4 rebounds in five games in the Big 12 and NCAA tournaments, raising questions about whether he would leave early.

Pittman said Wednesday he considered following rules that would have let him put his name in the draft to allow him to work out with NBA teams and still return to college. But Pittman says he decided against that option, leaving the NBA for the future.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-texas-pittman&prov=ap&type=lgns

its ok, we got our own big man to counteract that fatboys girth.

I was really impressed with Pittman's progression this year as a player. I think he will be a force next year for uterus.

He played some good ball down the stretch. Although he has lost a ton of weight, he still could use some conditioning.

Him and Tiny are going to have some titanic battles next year.

Last edited:
I don't think anybody ever though he was going to go pro...

Is Crocker going to hold a press conference tomorrow to say that he's coming back?

Really Dexter? You announced you're staying? Come 'on dude.
On a related note, tomorrow Brady Morningstar has a press conference set and it's widely believe he will return to KU and NOT test the waters in the NBA.

Jeez, Dexter, come 'on dude.

pittman will be a pro. the only thing limiting him is conditioning. when he's on the floor and not exhausted he was the 2nd most dominant big in the conference. he completely changes the game when he's in.

lol Here's his press conference notes

http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040109aaa.html

Opening statement: I talked this decision over with my family, my coaches and some of my teammates, and I have decided to come back for my senior year. The primary reason is because I feel that my body is not yet physically ready for the next level. I feel like I've got more room to grow and I've got time to get better. I felt like year I only scratched the surface this year, and I know that there is only more to come through the hard work that I'm going to do this spring, summer and fall. I wanted to get this off my chest because I wanted to go back to a normal life and finish up my school work this semester.

pittman will be a pro. the only thing limiting him is conditioning. when he's on the floor and not exhausted he was the 2nd most dominant big in the conference. he completely changes the game when he's in.

What? :ez-roll:
Dude doesn't hold a candle to the sloth known as Cole Aldrich, Craig Brackins and DeMarre Carroll. I'd take Kevin Rogers over him too but that's debatable...I guess.

no surprise. i never thought you knew much about bball.

That's cool. I actually like guys that work hard and are overachievers. I'm weird like that.
But yeah, you think Dexter Pittman is more dominant than Cole Aldrich, Craig Brackins & DeMarre Carroll. I don't know what I'm talking about.

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Texas

pittman's stats. the only thing stopping him from being an elite big man is minutes played.

KenPom is a joke. There's lots of guys who you multiply their stats by 40 minutes and they look good.
There is a reason Pittman only played 16 minutes a game. He plays no defense, he has no understanding how to read a defense or the flow of an offense and he can't get up and down the court. There's a reason he had a 1 to 4 assist/to ratio. Man, play him 32 minutes and I bet that's 1.5 to 8. And how does a guy that big not avg at least a block a game?
Please to say he's more dominant on the floor than Aldrich, Brackins & Carroll is just plain silly.

i should have probably said dominant offensively.

other than that, i'm right, you're wrong.

There needed to be an announcement for this? haha

I'm not declaring either guys, don't worry.

Well whoopty doo Pittman.

Why don't you go and celebrate with a 10 piece box of chicken and biscuits or something......:(:(

KenPom is a joke. There's lots of guys who you multiply their stats by 40 minutes and they look good.
There is a reason Pittman only played 16 minutes a game. He plays no defense, he has no understanding how to read a defense or the flow of an offense and he can't get up and down the court. There's a reason he had a 1 to 4 assist/to ratio. Man, play him 32 minutes and I bet that's 1.5 to 8. And how does a guy that big not avg at least a block a game?
Please to say he's more dominant on the floor than Aldrich, Brackins & Carroll is just plain silly.

I just wanted to point out that KenPom isn't saying that he would maintain his rates at a higher number of minutes played... There is a relationship between usage and efficiency, and between minutes played and efficiency. I will say, however, that players that are efficient on offense in a few minutes are usually only slightly less efficient in many minutes. Since Pittman is already very high usage (in possessions used when on the court) I would definitely peg him as a likely breakout player next year. I'm talking about 18 points and 12 rebounds a game... seriously. That is if he gets in good enough shape for Barnes to play him that much.

His numbers actually look like Luke Harangody's as a freshman--dominant on offense, very efficient (he more than Harangody), and a splendid offensive rebounder. If he gets in shape, watch out. He's really dangerous. We're talking the 4th best offensive rebounder in the country!

I honestly expect a breakout from him, if he has the work ethic to do it.

Back