Potential Next Season

I agree that Reaves is a question mark insofar as we haven't seen him play a minute in an OU uniform. However, I'm a little curious where those specific numbers come from. Not trying to be difficult, but any time I see the the "good competition" qualifier, my cherry picking radar goes off. I'm mainly curious about how you defined and applied the "good competition" standard.

What I see is a guy who will be a 4th year junior who is a career 45.1% shooter from 3 (regardless of competition). Just from a pure percentage standpoint, that's better than anything OU has put on the floor in years. Maybe he can do that in Big 12 play (btw, he's 50% career from 3 vs. Big 12 competition), maybe he can't, but something tells me even the threat of his shooting will be a big benefit for OU.

Here’s a first time post I remembered from someone who appeared to know Reaves well:

Reaves is way more than just a shooter. He wasn't given total freedom at WSU. The 3 games he was (Shamet was ice cold for awhile) he score 20+ in 3 straight games. Austin comes from a basketball family. His Dad was a PG at Arkansas St and is 3rd all time in assists. His mom was a tall lanky scoring wing at Arkansas St and averaged 20 per game in her 2 years. Austin is the perfect mix of both. 6'6, has the ball on a string, high IQ, sees the floor extremely well, and can score at a high level. I'll attach a like to his senior highlights. That's the Austin you will see in 18 months. A play maker with the ball in his hands. He's also a phenomenal teammate, leader and an exceptional young man and role model.

https://youtu.be/bSu5N5ngEsY

To be fair, Thebigabd also called attention to the games this poster mentioned. As I recall, Austin’s best games were toward the end of his last season at WSU when they should have carried more weight. I’ll let abd explain how he arrived at his conclusion? It’s one I don’t agree with. I think Reaves addition to next year’s team will be huge!

Here’s a first time post I remembered from someone who appeared to know Reaves well:

To be fair, Thebigabd also called attention to the games this poster mentioned. As I recall, Austin’s best games were toward the end of his last season at WSU when they should have carried more weight. I’ll let abd explain how he arrived at his conclusion? It’s one I don’t agree with. I think Reaves addition to next year’s team will be huge!

Let me be clear... I have no conclusion. I took games against high majors, ranked teams, and in their NCAA Tournament game and posted the numbers. Thats all I did. Those numbers are iffy to me, but that certainly doesn't mean that after a redshirt year, and on a different team, in a different situation, etc that he doesn't average 15ppg for all I know.

I just posted numbers.

I'm guessing he was behind the Steinkamp kid who transferred from KU? Does that mean Steinkamp was the better shooter or had more seniority and therefore more trust from the WSU HC?

I assume you mean Frankamp. Reaves's career three-point percentage is better than the percentage Frankamp shot in his best season. They played very similar minutes last year. Reaves started a third of their games last year. Reaves is also taller and a better athlete. His production was somewhat limited because he had chronic shoulder issues. I don't think he missed any games, but he definitely missed some time in the summer and maybe even in the fall. I'll put it this way -- last year, long before he decided to transfer, I told a lot of my WSU friends that I thought Reaves was already better than Frankamp, even though Frankamp had three years on him.

I'm not saying he is going to come in and immediately average 20 a game, but there is no question that he is a better shooter than anyone we had on the team this year.

Let me be clear... I have no conclusion. I took games against high majors, ranked teams, and in their NCAA Tournament game and posted the numbers. Thats all I did. Those numbers are iffy to me, but that certainly doesn't mean that after a redshirt year, and on a different team, in a different situation, etc that he doesn't average 15ppg for all I know.

I just posted numbers.

Thanks for posting again! I remembered part of what you said, but I was too lazy to search for the post.

Your latest post seemed to question if Reaves is as good as the reports seem to suggest? My bad if that’s not what you meant. I’m absolutely sold on how good Austin Reaves wiil be. Most players/shooters like him seem to end up at ISU, KU or another Big 12 school. This time, OU appears to be getting one for a change!

Posted from another thread:

Lets take a look at the game log on Reaves... High majors, ranked teams, or the NCAA Tournament.

6'5'' 180.. Averaged 8 points and 3 rebounds per game at WSU.

10 points against Marquette.... 0-1
2 points against Notre Dame..... 0.1
5 points against Baylor.... 1-1
5 points against Oklahoma State.... 1-2
5 points against Oklahoma... 2-5
5 points against Houston.... 1-2
10 points against Houston.... 0-0
2 points against Houston... 0-1
0 points against Cincy... 0-5
12 points against Cincy... 2-5
0 points against Marshall... 0-3

5.0 ppg and 26% 3pt shooting against high majors, ranked opponents, or in the NCAA Tournament in his sophomore year at Wichita State.

He really made his season in that sophomore year starting Tulsa on January 28th... In a 3 game stretch against Tulsa, Temple, and Memphis he scored 23, 20, and 22.... He finished pretty strong after that as well with games of 11, 12, 10, 11, and 13.

That's fair enough. Thanks for the info.

I'm still encouraged by the prospect of having a guy who is capable of shooting the 3 at a 40+% clip. OU just hasn't had a shooter like that in a while. Even just the threat of a guy who can get streaky hot and knock down 5 or 6 threes in a game opens up so much for an offense. Maybe he just can't compete at this level, but I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised.

I assume you mean Frankamp. Reaves's career three-point percentage is better than the percentage Frankamp shot in his best season. They played very similar minutes last year. Reaves started a third of their games last year. Reaves is also taller and a better athlete. His production was somewhat limited because he had chronic shoulder issues. I don't think he missed any games, but he definitely missed some time in the summer and maybe even in the fall. I'll put it this way -- last year, long before he decided to transfer, I told a lot of my WSU friends that I thought Reaves was already better than Frankamp, even though Frankamp had three years on him.

I'm not saying he is going to come in and immediately average 20 a game, but there is no question that he is a better shooter than anyone we had on the team this year.

OK, this is good news. Yes, I meant Frankamp...not sure where I got Steinkamp.

Thank you for the info.

Don't shoot the messenger.

I have the radio on in the next room, and I think James Hale just said that Ty Lazenby could be back on the team next season.

Did I hear that right?

He’s going into transfer portal. Oru Sam Houston Idaho have contacted already.

My guess is he averages 10–14 points a game but will also be a solid passer & IQ player. My concerns are defense, weight, & his shoulder.

Hale said OU might look at Crutchfield's kid. Averaged 3.3 or so at Stetson this season.

I sure hope not.

OK, this is good news. Yes, I meant Frankamp...not sure where I got Steinkamp.

Thank you for the info.

You bet. I usually hate to speculate too much on how new players will do because there is so much unknown when it comes to guys who haven't played D-1 before. But a transfer from a very good program is a different story, and having seen him play a lot over his two years in Wichita makes me very comfortable in expecting him to be an impact guy.

I'll always be a little worried about the shoulder but think that issue was cleared up. I'm not overly worried about his defense because he is a good athlete and definitely isn't lazy. Good athletes who play hard should be fine defensively.

Hale said OU might look at Crutchfield's kid. Averaged 3.3 or so at Stetson this season.

I sure hope not.

I think Hale is wrong about that one as well. He's not a good source.

If he wants to walk-on, cool. According to the roster on sooner sports, 2 of our 3 walk-ons are srs. If we are giving him a scholarship I think everyone has to question that move.

Will we have an effective 5 when our opponents have an effective 5? Until I see that guy I am not counting on being much better. But hoping that two of the new guys are improving throughout the season and we are at least a bigger threat at tournament time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't put too much stock in it. I view Hale as more of an OU historian than an expert of the game or a well-connected insider. He seems like he should be a well-connected insider, but if he is, he doesn't often release that information. He also seems to think OU is distraught about Freeman leaving and that Polla will be a major contributor next year. I don't see any of that happening.

Agree with all of that. The best (most accurate) information about OU basketball comes from several posters right here. It is much appreciated.

I think Hale is wrong about that one as well. He's not a good source.

Wrong how, like, he made it up?

Dude is pretty darn well connected. Probably the reporter with the most access on OU's campus for football definitely, and probably for hoops as well. He's passed along a lot of good info on another board over the past several months.

Dude is pretty darn well connected. Probably the reporter with the most access on OU's campus for football definitely, and probably for hoops as well. He's passed along a lot of good info on another board over the past several months.

Yes He had to of made it up and trying to look correct. Now of course he could guess right and seems like a genious. Lazeby RS to transfer and play elsewhere next year. Thats a fact from his father.

Crutchfield? who knows. Obvisouly not an OU type player but could walk on? Do employees kids get free college like some schools? I dont know that answer...

Yes He had to of made it up and trying to look correct. Now of course he could guess right and seems like a genious. Lazeby RS to transfer and play elsewhere next year. Thats a fact from his father.

Crutchfield? who knows. Obvisouly not an OU type player but could walk on? Do employees kids get free college like some schools? I dont know that answer...

My post had nothing to do with Lazenby. It was about Crutchfield.

From Eric Bailey...

COLUMBIA, S.C. – Jamal Bieniemy spoke with watered eyes while seated next to Oklahoma teammates. All were struggling with Sunday’s season-ending loss in the NCAA Tournament.

“I don’t like this feeling. I don’t ever want to feel like this ever again,” the freshman guard said after a 63-51 second-round setback to Virginia.

“It’s definitely going to be motivation.”

Bieniemy will be one of three starters returning for the Sooners next season. He’ll join senior Kristian Doolittle and junior Brady Manek in the starting lineup.

Oklahoma also signed a top-10 recruiting class which will be immediately depended upon to contribute. Guard De’Vion Harmon (6-foot-1) is a four-star player considered the nation’s No. 37 prospect by Rivals. Forwards Victor Iwuakor (6-7) and Jalen Hill (6-6) have also signed with the Sooners.

OU has has verbal commitments from Anyang Garang (6-9 forward), Alondes Williams (6-5 guard) and Corbin Merritt (6-9 center). Transfer Austin Reaves (6-5 guard) will be eligible after sitting out this season after moving in from Wichita State.

I'm not saying he made it up, but I can't see us giving Crutch's kid a scholly. Walk-on? Sure, that makes sense. Time and time again, a small handful of posters on this board prove to be more accurate than Hale. Perhaps I've missed the times when he's released big, accurate information that this board didn't already know about. It's just my opinion.

Back