Projected Out of NIT

Not surprising at this point of the season, sadly.

Not surprising at this point of the season, sadly.

No, it isn't.

And to be perfectly honest, it might be best if this team is not invited to play in the NIT. Barring a complete turnaround in the way OU has played defense since the season began, playing in the NIT would do nothing but add another loss on the road to our record. The likelihood of OU receiving a home game in the first round or two would be slim at best. Do I need to say more about our performances in road games this season?

I think we need all the practice we can get. Playing in another game would be a good thing, even if we lost the first one. Who cares about an extra loss when you're in the NIT anyway?

8 conference wins to make it. Gonna be a tall order for this team.

I think we need all the practice we can get. Playing in another game would be a good thing, even if we lost the first one. Who cares about an extra loss when you're in the NIT anyway?

The team can practice through the end of the NCAA tournament.

Hey maybe we can get a couple of home games in the College Basketball Invitational, that would get us more practice time and maybe a win or two to boost our spirits heading into the off season

I raised that possibility in another thread but some say Joe C would not accept a CBI invite because you actually have to pay them to play in it.

Don't play in the CBI...just hold practice/workouts on campus until the end of the NCAA tournament.

I don't see what playing in a tournament like that would possibly accomplish, honestly.

CBI = bags over heads for fans that attend the games?

The crazy thing is how good/talented some of the teams in that NIT feild are.

North Carolina
UCONN
UTEP
Memphis
Washington
Arizona
Tulsa
Notre Dame

I dont like our chances against that feild.

I THINK he was talking about 8-8 to get into the NIT, not the NCAA tourney and 8-8 probably gets OU in the NIT.

I understand not playing in the CBI, since it's basically a money-making venture for its organizers. I don't understand the idea that we shouldn't play in the NIT, however. I think game experience against decent teams is what this group needs. Just because you don't want to see us lose doesn't mean it's not good for the team. A lot of good teams also use an NIT run to get going for next year. Baylor last year is kind of like us this year...a talented group who figured things out a little late in the season but put it together toward the end and they are looking a lot better this year. They were a bit more experienced than we are, but I still think it is pretty analagous.

I understand not playing in the CBI, since it's basically a money-making venture for its organizers. I don't understand the idea that we shouldn't play in the NIT, however. I think game experience against decent teams is what this group needs. Just because you don't want to see us lose doesn't mean it's not good for the team. A lot of good teams also use an NIT run to get going for next year. Baylor last year is kind of like us this year...a talented group who figured things out a little late in the season but put it together toward the end and they are looking a lot better this year. They were a bit more experienced than we are, but I still think it is pretty analagous.

I'm down with the NIT.

Will not recognize OU if we play in the CBI.

I'm not denying that the CBI is an embarrassment, however i do feel that real games against real teams with something to play for, no matter how small or insignificant it is, is good for this very young and inexperienced team going forward. If we do have to pay though then i would not suggests going. But if it is like the NIT or NCAA where you get invited and make a lil money off it then at least its something more to play for then just practice in march. I admit, i don't know much about the CBI tournament and am in no way trying to sound like an expert here.

Essentially you can make money in the CBI. But the cost structure is different than the NIT. I believe the NIT takes a cut of ticket sales from the home games (if not all of the sales). But, you're invited and you host, you don't pay except the costs of turning on the lights, having concessions, etc. The NCAA runs the tournament so if it doesn't make much money, it's not a big loss for one site.

The CBI charges a flat fee to host a game. They are guaranteed a profit on the deal. Then the school tries to sell as many tickets as it can to make a profit for itself or lose less money. But, it's basically a money-making venture for a for-profit company (it's the same group that runs the Coaches vs. Cancer 2k tournament and maybe a couple of others...The Gazelle Group).

Back