Rank the top 5 small forwards coming into the Big 12

thebigabd

Reaction score
1.) Jordan Hamilton (6'7'' 210)- TEXAS
Ranked as the #1 small forward recruit nationally, as well as the #6 overall prospect by rivals.com. He is said to be able to score from anywhere on the floor, as well as post up smaller players. Rivals claims he can play 4 positions. Could start at the small forward spot with Damion James at the 4 for a loaded Texas team this year.

2.) Marquis Gilstrap (6'6'' 213)- IOWA STATE
Ranked as the #2 junior college player nationally by ESPN, while receiving a grade 96 overall grade from the same service. Rated 26th best overall player by ESPN. Averaged 22.4 points and 10.1 rebounds per game on his way to being an All-American and conference player of the year. Shot 41% from the 3pt line, 75% from the foul line, and 48% from the field.

3.) Christian Standhardinger (6'8'' 210)-NEBRASKA
Long and athletic wing brings a great deal of experience to the Huskers. Standhardinger played in the Under-19 German Championship where he scored 37 points and grabbed 12 rebounds. He can knock down the three and he has a knack for getting fouled on drives or when he is in the post area. Standhardinger is very talented offensively- ESPN. Averaged 22 points, 8 rebounds, shot 40% from international 3point line, and 71% from free throw line in 2008-2009.

4.) Roger Franklin (6'4'' 205)-OKLAHOMA STATE
Rated #98 overall player by Rivals. Chose OSU over UCLA, Oklahoma, Arizona, Indiana, and Michigan State. Has been compared to current OSU Cowboy Obi Muenelo. Franklin can shoot, drive, finish around the rim, rebound, and defend. Very versatile guard/wing.

5.) Brad Reese (6'6'' 200)- TEXAS TECH
Highly rated junior college wing who chose Tech over OSU, Arkansas, LSU, South Florida, Iowa State, and Alabama. Averaged 16.4 points and 5.3 rebounds next to Marquis Gilstrap (Iowa State) last season. Shot 35% from the 3pt line and 47% from the field.

Last edited:
Man, that list stinks

I'm not even gonna front, I've seen none of these guys play outside of Franklin, and Hamilton for a few minutes in the two AA games. Jimmy Dykes specifically said in the AA game that Jordan Hamilton wasn't a great athlete. Now I don't like Jimmy Dykes the analyst, but he is a very smart Bball guy.

And to be fair to the Big 12 that list doesn't really represent who the SF's or 3's will be on Big 12 teams. Where is Tony Crocker? Where is X Henry? Where is Cory Higgins? Where is James Andersen or Obi Muonelo (one of them has to be the SF)? Dominique Sutton? Mike Singletary?
In reality ABD doesn't have a single guy that would be in the top 5 SF's in the league at this time.

And to be fair to the Big 12 that list doesn't really represent who the SF's or 3's will be on Big 12 teams. Where is Tony Crocker? Where is X Henry? Where is Cory Higgins? Where is James Andersen or Obi Muonelo (one of them has to be the SF)? Dominique Sutton? Mike Singletary?
In reality ABD doesn't have a single guy that would be in the top 5 SF's in the league at this time.

he's talking about newcomers and he considers Henry a 2g.

he's talking about newcomers and he considers Henry a 2g.

Oh, didn't realize it was newcomers only. My bad.
X Henry is in no way a 2 though. He's 6'6 and will always be at the 3. I don't see KU ever being without two of Collins, Taylor, Johnson, Reed or Morningstar on the court.

I guess (for you, and only you) I need to explain what these threads are. They aren't about returning players, just new guys, lol.

X Henry is in no way a 2 though. He's 6'6 and will always be at the 3. I don't see KU ever being without two of Collins, Taylor, Johnson, Reed or Morningstar on the court.

I had Henry as the #1 shooting guard.

Man, that list stinks

Really? The #1 small forward recruit in the country, #2 juco in the country, a great prospect out of Germany, Roger Franklin (who will be a great player at OSU for 4 years), and Brad Reese stink?

That seems like a pretty impressive list of small forwards coming into the Big 12 in one class... You won't say that when Gilstrap wins newcomer of the year, Hamilton goes to the NBA, Franklin makes an all-conference list 2-3 times at OSU, and Reese makes a big impact at Tech... Also, the German kid will make a huge impact at Nebraska if he is eligible.

Last edited:

There is no difference in college basketball from the 2 and 3. Both of those "positions" do the same thing on the court.

There is no difference in college basketball from the 2 and 3. Both of those "positions" do the same thing on the court.

I agree, but Henry is more of a "guard" than a "forward" which is why he got put on the shooting guard list.

I agree, but Henry is more of a "guard" than a "forward" which is why he got put on the shooting guard list.

He is. He's basically been the primary ballhandler alot through his career like every elite player. i think sometimes size gets lumped into what people consider certain players to be. If anything, the one lack on him has been the unknown about him being physical. Regardless, he's a tremendous prospect.

I guess (for you, and only you) I need to explain what these threads are. They aren't about returning players, just new guys, lol.
Yeah, I missed that. :ez-roll:

I had Henry as the #1 shooting guard.
He'll be the SF for KU though. You talking about what they will play in conference for their respective teams or what they will play in the NBA? I just assumed you were talking what position they will play in college.

Really? The #1 small forward recruit in the country, #2 juco in the country, a great prospect out of Germany, Roger Franklin (who will be a great player at OSU for 4 years), and Brad Reese stink?
That seems like a pretty impressive list of small forwards coming into the Big 12 in one class... You won't say that when Gilstrap wins newcomer of the year, Hamilton goes to the NBA, Franklin makes an all-conference list 2-3 times at OSU, and Reese makes a big impact at Tech... Also, the German kid will make a huge impact at Nebraska if he is eligible.
I guess you are a little more optimistic than me. :ez-laugh:
Hamiliton didn't even play basketball this past season, juco guys rarely make a huge impact anymore and if Roger Franklin makes all conference 3 years I will say you are the smartest man in the world. It ain't happening.

I agree. So really this list should include both 2/3. But since it was broken out as the 3 then you kinda got go with who's playing the 3 for each school.

Hamiliton didn't even play basketball this past season

So? He is still the #1 small forward recruit in the country.

juco guys rarely make a huge impact anymore

Gilstrap will. He is the #26 overall player (juco or high school) according to ESPN. He is gonna be a really good player...

if Roger Franklin makes all conference 3 years I will say you are the smartest man in the world

I bet he makes some kind of all-conference list 2-3 times...

Morningstar? Is he any good at analyizing stocks?

Back