Ray W. 21 minutes leads team with 7 boards

Re: Capel never called out WW for lazy D

Capel babies Willie because he has to.

There were some games when Willie wasn't even getting back on defense and still played almost the entire game.

Huh, babies him? I recall numerous "calling out" periods earlier this season, via newspaper and radio where it was beyond apparent who Capel was referring to, if not directly stated. Willie wasn't the only one not getting back on D (or playing it), that's been beaten to death, but even our best defensive players are probably closer to "above average" at defense and thats being kind. The effort really has to be there on D, to combat the lack of length and quickness.

As far as Ray, I don't have his season rebounding totals in front of me, but I would say this rebounding barrage we saw on Saturday is abnormal. I do recall him skying over TMG on one rebound, but I do appreciate his efforts on the boards Sat., no one else was doing much.

Overall we are best with Ray in a very limited role.

My beef with Ray is initially I thought he was just lost defensively. Saterday it looked like effort. Like I said earlier, I know we have alot of TMG fans including myself, but his defense was every bit as bad as Ray.

ABD, kind of made an accurate point in his attempt to take a shot at Willie. When you coach different personalities, you can't deal with them the same way. I've talked to Ray before and talked to him about his shot selection last year. I was brutally honest with him about his shot selection and he openly took the criticism in a way where he was not offended. TMG, Willie, and Gallon probably don't have that type of personality. I know Willie doesnt. If you call him out publicly he won't take it the right way. But he is receptive to criticism.

You read all this stuff about Coach Capel calling out players in the media.........Maybe Coach Capel should call himself out in the media. This team is his team, he recruited these kids. He must have seem something in them? I would say this team with the exception of Cade Davis, maybe Tony Crocker and maybe TMG are all weak premadonnas?? But hey it is the hand we as fans where delt. Please do not question my loyalty to this Program I am a faithful viewer of all the games and will continue to do so, but it is like watching paint dry. It starts at the TOP folks..............

Huh, babies him? I recall numerous "calling out" periods earlier this season, via newspaper and radio where it was beyond apparent who Capel was referring to, if not directly stated. Willie wasn't the only one not getting back on D (or playing it), that's been beaten to death, but even our best defensive players are probably closer to "above average" at defense and thats being kind. The effort really has to be there on D, to combat the lack of length and quickness.

As far as Ray, I don't have his season rebounding totals in front of me, but I would say this rebounding barrage we saw on Saturday is abnormal. I do recall him skying over TMG on one rebound, but I do appreciate his efforts on the boards Sat., no one else was doing much.

Overall we are best with Ray in a very limited role.

Ray has started 2 games this year and lead the team in boads both games. Other than the 2 games he started Ray hasn't played any quality minutes.

Capel babies Willie because he has to.

There were some games when Willie wasn't even getting back on defense and still played almost the entire game.

WTF is that comment because he has to? Its okay to hammer a reserve guy that has been given quality minutes in 2 games this year and not your leader?

Now I see why we suck, Capel is clueless here.

Ray has started 2 games this year and lead the team in boads both games. Other than the 2 games he started Ray hasn't played any quality minutes.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of Ray and less of Pledger. How much do you want him to play and where are those minutes coming from?

WTF is that comment because he has to? Its okay to hammer a reserve guy that has been given quality minutes in 2 games this year and not your leader?

Now I see why we suck, Capel is clueless here.

Quality minutes? I must be watching a different Ray Willis than you. Yeah, he grabs some boards, but his defense is simply awful. Horribly weak. It's an abomination.

Watching him trot down the court and let Paige put in an uncontested layup in is a perfect example. He just doesn't value defense at all.

Paige should have been laying on the floor after that break away and thinking about it every time he saw Ray guarding him the rest of the game.

Everyone knows I've been the President of the Ray Willis Fan Club since he scored 14 in our second game last year. Everyone knows I have a soft spot for guys who know how to put the ball in the bucket.

I want Ray to get more playing time as much as anybody walking the planet, Ray included, but when Capel calls somebody out like that in the post game presser you have to tell yourself that we, the fans, simply do not have all the facts. Ray had six boards in the first few minutes of the game Saturday. That means he spent the rest of the game corraling precisely one more board than I did. That's not very good.

For a coach to throw you under the bus like that means, and this is conjecture, that Ray was probably challenged during the game and failed miserably. It could've been manning up and shutting down Page. That obviously did not happen. It could've been being strong and going for 12 boards instead of winding up with seven. That obviously didn't happen either.

I want Ray to succeed here because he is a gifted offensive player. I'm not pleased in how he's been handled but I know that no one is more responsible for that than Ray himself. Pledger couldn't hit his ass with both hands for months, but he still got the call off the bench because you could see effort. It may not have been the right effort at the correct spot, but he was trying out there. Ray sometimes looks like he's got popcorn waiting on him at the concession stand and the sooner he can figure out which stand it's at the sooner he can have that popcorn. My point being is that the appearance of effort does not follow Ray Willis around.

All of us, combined, don't know squat about what goes on behind closed doors. We don't know what challenges have been made or what gauntlets have been thrown down. I'm tired of watching us being on the receiving end of unholy ass-whippings on the road. I want to see a rotation of eight guys who give a flip and who'll get out there and compete. We've got Crocker, and we've got Davis. Everything else is up for grabs. Who wants it?

If it's Ray, then great. If it's not.......

Quality minutes? I must be watching a different Ray Willis than you. Yeah, he grabs some boards, but his defense is simply awful. Horribly weak. It's an abomination.

Watching him trot down the court and let Paige put in an uncontested layup in is a perfect example. He just doesn't value defense at all.

Paige should have been laying on the floor after that break away and thinking about it every time he saw Ray guarding him the rest of the game.

My point has nothing to do with Ray not sucking, it has everything to do with calling out a kid that has only played quality minutes in 2 games this year. You have starters that don't play D or rebound and you are going to call out this poor kid. Good grief the kid played 21 minutes and collected more boards than your post players and you call this kid out? WTF call out your freakin center that was abused by Pilgrim or your regular starters.

Capel is losing his mind.

Everyone knows I've been the President of the Ray Willis Fan Club since he scored 14 in our second game last year. Everyone knows I have a soft spot for guys who know how to put the ball in the bucket.

I want Ray to get more playing time as much as anybody walking the planet, Ray included, but when Capel calls somebody out like that in the post game presser you have to tell yourself that we, the fans, simply do not have all the facts. Ray had six boards in the first few minutes of the game Saturday. That means he spent the rest of the game corraling precisely one more board than I did. That's not very good.

For a coach to throw you under the bus like that means, and this is conjecture, that Ray was probably challenged during the game and failed miserably. It could've been manning up and shutting down Page. That obviously did not happen. It could've been being strong and going for 12 boards instead of winding up with seven. That obviously didn't happen either.

I want Ray to succeed here because he is a gifted offensive player. I'm not pleased in how he's been handled but I know that no one is more responsible for that than Ray himself. Pledger couldn't hit his ass with both hands for months, but he still got the call off the bench because you could see effort. It may not have been the right effort at the correct spot, but he was trying out there. Ray sometimes looks like he's got popcorn waiting on him at the concession stand and the sooner he can figure out which stand it's at the sooner he can have that popcorn. My point being is that the appearance of effort does not follow Ray Willis around.

All of us, combined, don't know squat about what goes on behind closed doors. We don't know what challenges have been made or what gauntlets have been thrown down. I'm tired of watching us being on the receiving end of unholy ass-whippings on the road. I want to see a rotation of eight guys who give a flip and who'll get out there and compete. We've got Crocker, and we've got Davis. Everything else is up for grabs. Who wants it?

If it's Ray, then great. If it's not.......

He needs to throw WW under the bus for not playing D most of the year and having a crappy attitude, when he does that he can hammer a reserve.

My point has nothing to do with Ray not sucking, it has everything to do with calling out a kid that has only played quality minutes in 2 games this year. You have starters that don't play D or rebound and you are going to call out this poor kid. Good grief the kid played 21 minutes and collected more boards than your post players and you call this kid out? WTF call out your freakin center that was abused by Pilgrim or your regular starters.

OK. IMO most of the team deserved to be called out after that travesty of a game. If he only called out Willis, then I guess I agree with you in that he shouldn't have just singled out Willis.

But, make no mistake about it. Willis did not play well. It was some of the worst defense I've seen someone play in an OU uniform ever.

OK. IMO most of the team deserved to be called out after that travesty of a game. If he only called out Willis, then I guess I agree with you in that he shouldn't have just singled out Willis.

But, make no mistake about it. Willis did not play well. It was some of the worst defense I've seen someone play in an OU uniform ever.

I guess he play D like Willie and not play it so therefore we can't say he tried and sucked at it. Just gold brick for a bucket to pad stat.'s.

He needs to throw WW under the bus for not playing D most of the year and having a crappy attitude, when he does that he can hammer a reserve.

He has called out WW. And almost after every loss, I hear Capel take some blame. You guys are clueless. Only hearing what you want to hear.:jcapel

Its not like he contacted the local paper or something to rip him. If I remember correctly, Senior, sort of gave it up to Willis, which Capel in turn played down with the weak comments. Then, Capel pretty much did the same treatment to Wright referencing the UT game. It seemed more like to me, Capel was not in the mood to crown (cue Dennis) any of our players after that performance. Came off as honesty to me.

Capel has given it up to a lot of these guys when they have played well. I'm sure he fully recognizes what each athlete gives or doesn't give to the program, far more than any on here do...

Buttermaker,

This is strange, but I am going to agree with you here... Capel tore Ray to shreds, but maybe he shouldn't let Ray play twice and then be on him like that for inconsistency.

How can a guy be expected to perform in that kind of environment on the road when he has been riding pine since the season tipped off?

Ray has 156 minutes this year, with a big chunk of that coming in 2-3 games. The only players with less minutes are walk-ons and Orlando. I don't think its reasonable to throw a guy under the bus like that when he hasnt had a chance to play all year.

Buttermaker,

This is strange, but I am going to agree with you here... Capel tore Ray to shreds, but maybe he shouldn't let Ray play twice and then be on him like that for inconsistency.

How can a guy be expected to perform in that kind of environment on the road when he has been riding pine since the season tipped off?

Ray has 156 minutes this year, with a big chunk of that coming in 2-3 games. The only players with less minutes are walk-ons and Orlando. I don't think its reasonable to throw a guy under the bus like that when he hasnt had a chance to play all year.

Guys don't need a lot of minutes to simply give effort. Someone who's never played a minute before in a game can come in and give effort on the defensive end. It's not as complicated as fitting into the flow of an offensive scheme.

I'm pretty sure Capel has taken his shots at Warren. The OKC media was all up in arms about it. Did you forget the, "I'm tired of trying to figure him out" line?

Buttermaker,

Capel was asked about Willis' play. Bob said something stupid like, "Ray had 7 rebounds and that lead the team, he played pretty good". That's when Capel when on his little rant.

Capel didn't just pick Willis out of the line up. He was asked about him. Bob was doing his James Hale act talking about how great that one stat line looked and how Willis played. Capel was pissed and said he was weak and.... I have no problem with it, because it was true!

Wouldn't you be? He is obviously befuddled at this point as to how to get these guys to play hard. He's tried benching guys. He's tried suspensions. He's tried challenging guys. He's tried calling them out in the media. Nothing works.

I was part of a team like this. Coach couldn't get any of us to work as a team. It wan't coach's fault, it was ours. Two years later, he was in the state tournament with a FAR less talented group of guys.

Capel was asked about Willis' play. Bob said something stupid like, "Ray had 7 rebounds and that lead the team, he played pretty good". That's when Capel when on his little rant.

Capel didn't just pick Willis out of the line up. He was asked about him. Bob was doing his James Hale act talking about how great that one stat line looked and how Willis played. Capel was pissed and said he was weak and.... I have no problem with it, because it was true!

I do we won't have to worry about it if Capel keeps going 500 he won't be around long.

Back