Serious Question: Is this season going to set back OU basketball?

annapolissooner

Reaction score
First, please don't jump on me this is a serious question...

When the season started I thought that this was going to be the year that OU basketball was able to make a slight dent into the football madness...With the average performance of the football team, I kept thinking that OU fans would rally around ANY winner...Hence a great, even good, season for the basketball team could gather some more supporters, albeit bandwagoners...Who would be potentially drawn in for several seasons, after they see the product and get to know the players...

As we all know, there are few diehard OU basketball fans, and I'm afraid that with the season we're likely to have, the number of supporters at the LNC will only go down...We all know that the side effect of limited crowd support is felt on the recruiting trail...

I was so pleased last year, as I felt that the support of OU basketball was finally getting to an acceptable level; however, I'm now concerned...So my question is will this season cause us to lose even more support of the fan base, and set the team back several years, particularly in attendance?

I'm hope I'm wrong, and I would enjoy your comments...Please this is not meant to be disrespectful to Coach or the team...My concerns are for the future of this team that I love to support...

AS

No Capel will get good players. Hopefully they will play more as a team.

We could end up having a Quinn Snyder type coach right now. Get good athletes that don't really know how to play basketball and have highly ranked classes that aren't well coached.

We could end up having a Quinn Snyder type coach right now. Get good athletes that don't really know how to play basketball and have highly ranked classes that aren't well coached.

That's an interesting comparison...I can't believe that JC can't coach though...He did take that VCU team to the tourney that beat Duke in the 1st round if I remember correctly...I know that he didn't have as much talent as that Duke team...

I'd give a "perhaps" answer to that question. The problem with this team seems almost to be a conceptual one. This team was not engineered to have all the right pieces you need for a good team. We have essentially no inside players, our best player is playing away from his natural position which is point We have several highly rated recruits and a big drop off in talent after that. All of that translates to the team construction component of coaching and thus the "perhaps" answer.

That's an interesting comparison...I can't believe that JC can't coach though...He did take that VCU team to the tourney that beat Duke in the 1st round if I remember correctly...I know that he didn't have as much talent as that Duke team...

But that was a different level with different type of players.

i don't want to jump the shark here, but I do wonder. these offensive series and the constant 3 pt shot or the alley hoop to willie are ridiculous... oh and no defense.
the aau comment seemed spot on

i don't want to jump the shark here, but I do wonder. these offensive series and the constant 3 pt shot or the alley hoop to willie are ridiculous... oh and no defense.
the aau comment seemed spot on

Just about everyone plays AAU now so that's not really a big deal. Not everyone has these same problems OU's having.

I think Capel can coach as well but I think he needs to go out and hire someone who can coach defense. I have never seen an OU team this bad on defense before in my life. The transition defense is especially bad and noone seems to care about guarding their man and just let them drive right by with no attempt to steal or step in front to force a charge.

I think Capel can coach as well but I think he needs to go out and hire someone who can coach defense. I have never seen an OU team this bad on defense before in my life. The transition defense is especially bad and noone seems to care about guarding their man and just let them drive right by with no attempt to steal or step in front to force a charge.

Last year we had a guy in Blake that improved so much that he was the unanamous player of the year that wasn't really Capel's doing it was his desire. The year before we were a little better than average that's about it, the year before that below average. Take out last year when Blake put hard work to get so much better and what has Capel really done as a coach?

i think the comparison to snyder is too easy and premature

capel has 10 times the integrity of quinn snyder

remember that coach capel was handed a wasteland of a program when he first came here

this is a young team

we haven't even started conference season yet

lets just let the season play out

the sky's not falling yet chicken little

i think the comparison to snyder is too easy and premature

capel has 10 times the integrity of quinn snyder

remember that coach capel was handed a wasteland of a program when he first came here

this is a young team

we haven't even started conference season yet

lets just let the season play out

the sky's not falling yet chicken little

The program was not near as bad as you say it was when he got here. And we have all Capel's guys here now so what is the problem? The only Kelvin is arguably our most consistent and best all around basketball player. So are you saying that Capel is a bad recruiter?

The program was not near as bad as you say it was when he got here. And we have all Capel's guys here now so what is the problem? The only Kelvin is arguably our most consistent and best all around basketball player. So are you saying that Capel is a bad recruiter?

okay, let me re-phrase "wasteland", he was given a tough situation

i just think the rhetoric of "good recruiter, bad coach" comes way too soon

let this season play out and see what happens

Last edited:
I certainly don't think you can jump to conclusions...However, at what point do we accept this season for what it is? That really gets back to my original question...God knows that everyone who actively participates on this board would follow this team if we won 10 games a season, but to be competitive, particularly in recruiting, we need to pack the house...With performances like tonight is that realistic?

i don't think we can accept the season for what it is yet

once we get a couple of games in to conference play, then i think you could talk about it again

but yeah, i think this season is going to set us back in recruiting

it's hard enough getting the top recruits to come to oklahoma in the first place

i don't think we can accept the season for what it is yet

once we get a couple of games in to conference play, then i think you could talk about it again

but yeah, i think this season is going to set us back in recruiting

it's hard enough getting the top recruits to come to oklahoma in the first place

No it's not, not compared to a lot of other places. You can't have your team playing bad fundamental ball and expect to have it last. We aren't really good at the fundamentals right now. That goes down the coaching like it or not.

Jeff is another Snyder, I have never seen a team at. At OU play with little effort as this team does.

Jeff is another Snyder, I have never seen a team at. At OU play with little effort as this team does.

I'll give him a couple years to prove this wrong and I do like that he sounds pissed off after every game because we play bad but I don't know if that's doing anything. I don't care if everyone wants to like Jeff and play for him if he can't coach well that doesn't matter to me. I would rather have a coach that everyone hates but can really caoch.

No it's not, not compared to a lot of other places. You can't have your team playing bad fundamental ball and expect to have it last. We aren't really good at the fundamentals right now. That goes down the coaching like it or not.

the recruiting class we had this year was one of the most highly touted in our schools history

so yes, by this year's standard, i think we will have take a step back in recruiting because of this season

i would agree that our freshman have poor fundamentals, but they are freshman, look at cade davis and tony crocker and their development

a couple of year ago, billy donovan had frustrations with a team largely made up as freshman after he had won two national championships

i'm not saying capel is comparable to billy donovan, but i think the situation is comparable

Last edited:
Back