Sherri Coale and Bob Stoops

rickjames

Reaction score
I think it's obvious that we have seen a decline of women's basketball just as we did with football when Stoops was at the helm. He retired and Riley took over and immediately brought a lot of renewed energy into the program. Recruiting has tremendously improved. Bob knew what to do for the betterment of the program. Will Sherri step up and do the right thing? It would be nice to have a young up and comer take over this program and bring a big spark in recruiting again.

My suggestion? Former OU player and current Miss. St Assistant Dionnah Jackson-Durrett

https://hailstate.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/dionnah-jackson-durrett/2156

If Sherri did the right thing her little boy would be out of a job so don't think she will.

In Bob Stoops last 2 seasons he made the CFP one year and won the Sugar Bowl the other, and left Lincoln Riley with 2 future Heisman winners and NFL overall #1 draft picks on the roster. I really don't think that is a "state of decline".

I do not see why Jackson would leave Mississippi State for OU. She would be tasked with turning our program around; whereas, she already has a top notch program at MSU. I also would think with all of the SEC money they could match anything we could offer.

I would love to see it happen but I would not think we would have much of a chance of getting her.

I agree that the Stoops situation is quite a bit unlike the Coale situation. If the our WBB program improved over the next two years and then Sherri stepped down that would be a little more likely. I don't see either happening.

Maybe they could do an amicable sack with the stipulation that her kid could not be fired for two years. Ha.

In Bob Stoops last 2 seasons he made the CFP one year and won the Sugar Bowl the other, and left Lincoln Riley with 2 future Heisman winners and NFL overall #1 draft picks on the roster. I really don't think that is a "state of decline".

Or in addition to the above Stoops' teams won 51 games their last 5 season and 3 conference championships And in addition to Mayfield and Kyler 20 other Stoops players were designated as All conference players 2017-2019.

Stoops last 5 years were not his apex 51-14 .785 but for certain OU was not in a state of decline just falling slightly short of the expectation of few unrealistic fan. OU went 50-22 .696 2005-09.

Of course many now have Saban and his program in decline as he has not won a natty the last 2 years but has won 2 of the last 5. That is how the process works for all the traditional football powers they have their hot streaks and win a few in a short number of years like OU winning 3 nattys in 6 years 1950-1956 and then 2 nattys in 2 years 1974-1975 for a total of 5 nattys in 9 seasons. In the other 65 years we have won 2. 1950-56 & 1974-75 that are the special years the other 65 are closer to the norm for OU when we contend for and win conference championships with a very few shots at winning the natty. It is the fact that a few opportunities are clustered in short time periods that confuses the OU fan into thinking their special years are the norm. But success normally does that to all.

Likewise for Alabama they won 5 nattys in 10 years and they also won 3 in 5 years and 2 in 2 years. That is 10 nattys in 17 years while winning only 2 more nattys in the 57 other years since WWII. It is the 57 other years that are closer to the norm for the Tide. Ditto USC and tOSU.

OU in decline when Bob left? Only in the eyes of an idiot who thinks the early '50" and the mid '70's were the norm and the other and the other 69 years were the exception.

Last edited:
Not even a close comparison.

And I am not a big fan of bringing in someone just because they played at OU. Not saying one of the former OU players would not be the one to turn the program around.

I also agree that Sherri will probably hang on as long as possible because of Colton. He needs time to build a resume because he certainly didn't have on when he got the OU job.

Not even a close comparison.

And I am not a big fan of bringing in someone just because they played at OU. Not saying one of the former OU players would not be the one to turn the program around.

I also agree that Sherri will probably hang on as long as possible because of Colton. He needs time to build a resume because he certainly didn't have on when he got the OU job.

The reason to bring in Jackson is because she has had great mentors and is one heck of a coach and recruiter. She would be an outstanding candidate if she hadn't gone to OU.

Ok, I think there are a lot of good coaches we could hire. It would take going out and finding them, not necessarily going for ones with a reputation. I wouldn't have a problem with offering Washington the head coach position and she could keep who she wanted. I would hope that would be Stiles. I don't have an opinion on Colton. Like I wasn't able to have an opinion on the previous assistants as to their abilities. I don't know how much Stacey Dales makes but am wondering why she was one of the people on the game Saturday. I hadn't heard her before then doing Big 12 games which doesn't mean she hasn't. I am sure if Sherri was to retire that she would love Stacey taking over. Have no clue if anyone has talked to anyone about it.

Last edited:
Ok, I think there are a lot of good coaches we could hire. It would take going out and finding them, not necessarily going for ones with a reputation. I wouldn't have a problem with offering Washington the head coach position and she could keep who she wanted. I would hope that would be Stiles. I don't have an opinion on Colton. Like I wasn't able to have an opinion on the previous assistants as to their abilities. I don't know how much Stacey Dales makes but am wondering why she was one of the people on the game Saturday. I hadn't heard her before then doing Big 12 games which doesn't mean she hasn't. I am sure if Sherri was to retire that she would love Stacey taking over. Have no clue if anyone has talked to anyone about it.

Washington won 3 straight Big 10 titles in 2012, 2013, and 2014. Then her last 5 years as head coach at Penn State was nearly at the bottom of the conference before they fired her. Sounds like Coale 2.0.

+1

Jackson-Durrett works with the point guards for Mississippi st, I’m not sure she would be able to land the type of top 10 recruits we would need to challenge Baylor, but I’m sure she would be able to bring in kids who are willing to play defense and play defense hard... our kids not only miss shots at the rim consistently, but they also give up to many easy buckets. I’m not sure what direction Sherri is taking the program to, it’s not like she’s bringing in athletic kids, but she’s also not bringing in kids who are great shooters, other then Taylor.

Washington won 3 straight Big 10 titles in 2012, 2013, and 2014. Then her last 5 years as head coach at Penn State was nearly at the bottom of the conference before they fired her. Sounds like Coale 2.0.
I knew she had been fired. The thing is that I don't know what was going on with the program. I would cosidered her if Joe did some research. Watched practices. Checked into what happened at Penn State. And I thought about including this in my original post but just didn’t.

Back