Soares

Ha im a huge drake hater. Our old TE Mark Andrews ran the same 40 as the chosen boy with the last name. Good thing we dont play our best players and instead let the "good" boys play. Maybe it was drake's great frame that got him on the field despite his lack of speed, nope.. hes like 5'8
So how about giving us the names of who you think are "our best players" that should have been playing that were cheated out of their opportunities by coaches who decided to stupidly play a lesser talent because of his famous last name so that we can form our own opinions of just how bad the coaches' decisions were.

So how about giving us the names of who you think are "our best players" that should have been playing that were cheated out of their opportunities by coaches who decided to stupidly play a lesser talent because of his famous last name so that we can form our own opinions of just how bad the coaches' decisions were.
At the risk of further hijacking this thread..

1. Nick anderson had 798 yds on only 38 catches (drake had 84 catches) which is a sultry 21 yards a catch. Idk how you don't get Anderson all over the field and gameplan 100% around anderson.. And any reps where drake was out there instead of Anderson (regardless of WR position - we put Broyles everywhere on the field) was a mistake imo. I think anderson is a 1200-1600 yd WR, not a 800 yder (does have some big drops here and there tho similar to dez bryant or mike evans - drop easy ones then 1 hands over 2 guys)

2. Similarily, Brenen thompson is the fastest player on the team im sure, or 2nd. Hes so fast that i think DG didnt have the arm to utilize him.. but you have to. He avg'ed 34 yards a catch. Find a way. Blazer. Run some WR screens and sweeps with thompson, not the small 4.67-4.71 guy (frustrating to use drake that way and SOOO many times, not his role at all, almost a negative play every time).

3. I would also go anthony & gibson over stoops, generally, and maybe even farooq - depending on situation (Im not a farooq guy. Hes a bum. Terrible catch technique. Catches off of his pads. fumbles. Drake is probably a better overall option than farooq)

4. Coincidentally, i was high on Freeman this year going into the season. Hes actually fast and had good hands going into the year.. that dude has played himself completely out of a playing position as it stands. I would relegate him to special teams permanently, excluding some 180 turnaround. Or encourage him to transfer. However, i'm predicting that you'll see, for whatever reason, more of the same of the coach's fave preferential treatment again being doled out to Freeman going forward. This is OU.. D1.. not some small town high school my dad's the mayor team. Players that have failed to produce should not play and i predict that you'll see more of Freeman than we should

5. The unknown WRs. We dont know anything about petteway or bunkley-shelton. Who knows. Lots say petteway deserved more run, well see. If either of them goes off, you'll have to wonder

Last edited:
Well, the football team does have a new OC (a pair of them). Likely have a new look next season, maybe with new opportunities given.

Hope that gets both back to healthy and somehow we come out and beat TCU to remove doubt about the tourney.

5. The unknown WRs. We dont know anything about petteway or bunkley-shelton. Who knows. Lots say petteway deserved more run, well see. If either of them goes off, you'll have to wonder
You know who does know about those two receivers? The coaches.

You seem to care only about speed, which is an oddly narrow focus. Drake got open, made virtually every catch (including some very difficult ones), was incredibly clutch and played the game the right way. Give me a Drake or two on every Sooner squad into perpetuity, and I'll be happy. You disrespect Drake by insisting he played just because of his last name; his in-game performance renders that statement laughable.

At the risk of further hijacking this thread..

1. Nick anderson had 798 yds on only 38 catches (drake had 84 catches) which is a sultry 21 yards a catch. Idk how you don't get Anderson all over the field and gameplan 100% around anderson.. And any reps where drake was out there instead of Anderson (regardless of WR position - we put Broyles everywhere on the field) was a mistake imo. I think anderson is a 1200-1600 yd WR, not a 800 yder (does have some big drops here and there tho similar to dez bryant or mike evans - drop easy ones then 1 hands over 2 guys)

2. Similarily, Brenen thompson is the fastest player on the team im sure, or 2nd. Hes so fast that i think DG didnt have the arm to utilize him.. but you have to. He avg'ed 34 yards a catch. Find a way. Blazer. Run some WR screens and sweeps with thompson, not the small 4.67-4.71 guy (frustrating to use drake that way and SOOO many times, not his role at all, almost a negative play every time).

3. I would also go anthony & gibson over stoops, generally, and maybe even farooq - depending on situation (Im not a farooq guy. Hes a bum. Terrible catch technique. Catches off of his pads. fumbles. Drake is probably a better overall option than farooq)

4. Coincidentally, i was high on Freeman this year going into the season. Hes actually fast and had good hands going into the year.. that dude has played himself completely out of a playing position as it stands. I would relegate him to special teams permanently, excluding some 180 turnaround. Or encourage him to transfer. However, i'm predicting that you'll see, for whatever reason, more of the same of the coach's fave preferential treatment again being doled out to Freeman going forward. This is OU.. D1.. not some small town high school my dad's the mayor team. Players that have failed to produce should not play and i predict that you'll see more of Freeman than we should

LOL this is really really bad bro...i'd just delete it. I'm sure someone else will come along and pick this apart...if not, I will when I have more time

LOL this is really really bad bro...i'd just delete it. I'm sure someone else will come along and pick this apart...if not, I will when I have more time
Again, why do you feel the need to tell people what they should post? If you disagree, fine. Most of us don’t agree with him about Drake. But why act like he shouldn’t be free to post an honest opinion?

Again, why do you feel the need to tell people what they should post? If you disagree, fine. Most of us don’t agree with him about Drake. But why act like he shouldn’t be free to post an honest opinion?
I never said he has to. Just looking out for a fellow sooner and their terrible take. By all means he is free to leave it up

You know who does know about those two receivers? The coaches.

You seem to care only about speed, which is an oddly narrow focus. Drake got open, made virtually every catch (including some very difficult ones), was incredibly clutch and played the game the right way. Give me a Drake or two on every Sooner squad into perpetuity, and I'll be happy. You disrespect Drake by insisting he played just because of his last name; his in-game performance renders that statement laughable.
Coaches never make a mistake fallacy. Do you believe every word the news tells you too? You know who does know about the news? The news channels.

Coaches never make a mistake fallacy.
I'll go with the opinions of the guys who see the players in practice every day and get paid hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars for their football knowledge and expertise over a guy who seems to think speed is the only metric by which a receiver should be measured.

I'll go with the opinions of the guys who see the players in practice every day and get paid hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars for their football knowledge and expertise over a guy who seems to think speed is the only metric by which a receiver should be measured.
Nice

I mean, Venables spent the first half of the season playing Marcus Major and Barnes. I think it’s pretty clear that we had at least two better backs on the roster. Coaches aren’t perfect. Moser kept Oweh in the starting lineup far too long. Baker Mayfield left Tech because he was going to be down the depth chart. Again, I don’t agree with his take on Drake, but coaches do sometimes make mistakes, including when it comes to playing time.

I mean, Venables spent the first half of the season playing Marcus Major and Barnes. I think it’s pretty clear that we had at least two better backs on the roster. Coaches aren’t perfect. Moser kept Oweh in the starting lineup far too long. Baker Mayfield left Tech because he was going to be down the depth chart. Again, I don’t agree with his take on Drake, but coaches do sometimes make mistakes, including when it comes to playing time.
There were reasons that fans don’t know about for any major and Barnes were playing

There were reasons that fans don’t know about for any major and Barnes were playing
And reasons we do know about. Sawchuck wasn't healthy until mid-season. The RB room in general was a mess with injuries and attitudes.

Back