Softball

Well, it really wasn't close, but SC still has a pretty good team. The Fighting Roosters just ran up against a better one.

No question about the Sooners taking control and we did get a very pleasant surprise with the quality of the game Parker Conrad threw. With control being one of her problems against Indiana it was not against ISU. She stayed ahead in the count yesterday and was in control all day. Her ball had some movement on it too, especially her drop.

I agree. I think they will do some damage in the vaunted SEC.

It will be interesting. They have a relatively easy conference schedule. They play Ole Miss, Tennessee, A&M, Arkansas, Florida, Missouri, MSU and Kentucky. They avoid Georgia, Alabama, Auburn and LSU in the regular season.

We seem to be having a bit of trouble with base running. According to Plank, the base runners are leaving late and as a consequence being thrown out. Plus some other misjudgments, hesitations and brain cramps. It's great to be aggressive but we occasionally appear bewildered.

Comparison Alo vs Chamberlain the start of both's freshman year.

If you compare statistics between Alo and Chamberlain at the same stage in number of games played in their freshman season Alo leads in all the stats except RBI's, K's, HBP and AB's. Having personally seen Alo play about a dozen games including games this past fall I think Alo has slightly more more power and consistently hits the ball harder. I also think Alo might be a little more patient in waiting for a good pitch to hit than was Chamberlain as a freshman.

Stat--------Alo------Chamberlain

AB----------60---------62
Hits---------29---------20
BA--------.483-------.323
2nd----------4-----------5
HR-----------9-----------7
RBI---------23---------27
BB----------12---------12
K-------------7----------7
HBP----------4----------5
OBP------.568-------.461
SLG-----1.000-------.767

stats.ncaa.org/player/index?game_sport_year_ctl_id=13430&stats_player_seq=1974714

stats.ncaa.org/player/index?game_sport_year_ctl_id=10900&stats_player_seq=1304625

Thanks! That is a very interesting comparison. Both players started with relatively low strike-out rates for power hitters.

Monday; March 19, 2018 ... Sooners go 6-0 on their latest West Coast swing, and are now 25-2.

Schedule with results:
http://www.soonersports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=31000&SPID=127251&SPSID=750355

Sooners Outlast Matadors in Extras
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArt..._LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211706822&KEY=

For the second consecutive game, the Sooners jumped out to a 1-0 lead behind a solo home run from Alo. The shot was Alo’s 12th of the season, which leads the Big 12.

Last edited:
I'm over here at ouhoops sharing more non-hoops than hoops so far, but here's the latest weekly roundup on in-state softball teams, OU included...

Oklahoma

Record: 25-2

Looking ahead: Oklahoma begins Big 12 play with a three-game homestand against Texas Tech. Games are 6:30 p.m. Friday , 1 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday.

Looking back: The Sooners swept through the Easton Tournament by outscoring five opponents 43-5 over the weekend and added a 2-1 nonconference win over Cal State Northridge during the week.

Friday Night .. March 23, 2018

OU wins Big-12 opener 8-0
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArt..._LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211707446&KEY=

(Norman) Oklahoma softball opened Big 12 play in dominant fashion on Friday, taking down Texas Tech 8-0 in five innings.

The win was sparked by the Sooners' power at the plate in the first inning as Sydney Romero, Jocelyn Alo, Nicole Pendley and Caleigh Clifton all homered to give OU a 6-0 lead.

“That was the biggest first-inning offensive explosion I’ve seen in a long, long time from any team,” OU head coach Patty Gasso said. “It really started in the dugout when we started on defense. Our dugout really got things started with momentum, and then obviously, Syd coming up with the lead-off home run really sets a tone, and it kind of just kept going from there.”

Four blasts in one frame is one shy of matching the program record five set in 2015 against East Carolina. Oklahoma last had four homers in one inning on April 14, 2017 in the fourth inning against Kansas.

Alo's two-run homer was the 13th blast of her freshman season, leading the Big 12. Romero's lead-off shot was her eighth homer this year while Pendley's home run, which scored two, was her seventh. Clifton recorded her fifth homer of the season with a solo blast.

The Sooner softballers are absolutely tearing it up this weekend -- two shutout run-rule wins, and they're already up, 8-0, in the first inning today. Alo started it off today with a three-run bomb off the scoreboard in left.

P.S. I just got a shout-out from Chris Plank during the telecast.

Last edited:
The Sooner softballers are absolutely tearing it up this weekend -- two shutout run-rule wins, and they're already up, 8-0, in the first inning today. Alo started it off today with a three-run bomb off the scoreboard in left.

P.S. I just got a shout-out from Chris Plank during the telecast.

WooHoo! Sooners win 19-1, in five.

My 83-year-old mom was so disgusted today that she didn't get to watch her beloved OU softball team until the game almost over, on FSN-OK. That's because the Mighty Aggettes choked a 4-0 lead away late. It was fitting that Iowa State wound up winning that game in 12 innings, 5-4. And at least we got to see the fourth inning and the top of the fifth.

We were able to get her to a game Saturday. She'll only get to see one more due to the schedule not working out for her any better than it will. And, it's also because it's hard to even get general admission tickets for the rest of the regular season. I got a couple for the Sunday day game with UT.

Patti shows Lindsey Vonn.

Sherri shows Jim and Tammy Faye Baker.

No wonder they get different results.

Thirty games into the season, and OU has allowed zero runs in the first inning? Or, is that earned runs? I think they said we had scored 51.

Back