Softball

Since the last RPI 4-1-2018 #3 UCLA, #4 Georgia, and #5 ASU have lost. And #6 Florida, #8 Tennessee and #9 Arizona have lost 2 games. Florida lost to FIU. This is got to help the Sooners some in the RPI but I suspect not a great deal. Would love to see them all lose again this weekend with Arizona splitting with #2 Oregon.

Last edited:
The RPI is showing this year how it is not designed to favor the SEC as the Sooners moved up to #6 and are ahead of all the SEC schools except Georgia. The Pac 12 has the #1-#4 ranked teams in the RPI with Georgia also ahead of OU at this time.

The potential killer is OU has three remaining games against top 25 teams with one against 2 against #17 Oregon State. Washington has 3 games against #2 Oregon, 3 games against #4 UCLA and 3 games against #17 Oregon State.

Also #2 Oregon has 3 games against #1 Washington, 1 game against #1 OU and 3 games against #3 ASU. #3 ASU has 3 games against #2 Oregon, 3 games against #4 UCLA and 3 games against #11 Arizona. #4 UCLA has 3 games against #1 Washington, 3 games against #3 ASU and 3 games against #11 Arizona.

The SOS for the Sooners is a killer to close the season because of the lack of quality Big 12 teams. We have 3 games remaining against the top 25 and 1 against the top 4. Washington, Oregon, ASU and UCLA each have 9 games each against the top 25. Oregon has 7 games against the top 4 while Washington, ASU and UCLA have 6 games against the top 4.

We really need for the 4 Pac 12 schools to basically split their top 4 games so the Sooners might jump 1 or 2 of the them as we should win out or lose only 1 more in the next 15 if we can sweep the Oregon schools on the road.

Of those teams trailing OU in the RPI it appears Florida and South Carolina would have the best opportunity to jump the Sooners. Florida has 14 top 25 games remaining with 5 against the top 10. South Carolina has 9 top 25 games and 3 top ten games.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/ncaa-womens-softball-rpi

Last edited:
If you examine the schedules of the SEC teams, it is rather difficult to explain how eleven of the SEC schools are ranked in the top 21 of the rpi. They really haven't done anything, beaten anyone of note. They have played a lot of games at home against pretty weak competition. I don't know that they have demonstrated why they are ranked so highly.

I haven't examined the Pac 12 teams yet. We have played a couple of them, splitting with the Arizona teams. I get the feeling that they are better than the SEC this year, at least at the top. Curiously, only six of them are in the top 34. They are all clustered at the top. But, they, too, tend to stay at home or have a lot of neutral site games in their own backyard. Let's see how they do when the playoffs arrive.

Georgia is probably toast. They lost their ace starter for the year with a biceps injury. Her college career if probably over since she is a senior.. She was something like 16-1 with a 0.48 ERA. They did take two of three from Florida, in Athens.

If you examine the schedules of the SEC teams, it is rather difficult to explain how eleven of the SEC schools are ranked in the top 21 of the rpi. They really haven't done anything, beaten anyone of note. They have played a lot of games at home against pretty weak competition. I don't know that they have demonstrated why they are ranked so highly.

I haven't examined the Pac 12 teams yet. We have played a couple of them, splitting with the Arizona teams. I get the feeling that they are better than the SEC this year, at least at the top. Curiously, only six of them are in the top 34. They are all clustered at the top. But, they, too, tend to stay at home or have a lot of neutral site games in their own backyard. Let's see how they do when the playoffs arrive.

Georgia is probably toast. They lost their ace starter for the year with a biceps injury. Her college career if probably over since she is a senior.. She was something like 16-1 with a 0.48 ERA. They did take two of three from Florida, in Athens.

It is not difficult to justify the current rankings whatsoever. Who is missing from the top 25 that should be there? May be an argument for a team or two but that is purely subjective. Who would you put in the top 25 to replace existing SEC members other than replace a 21-21 Missouri at #23. #21 Arkansas is 29-8 on the season and #26 Nebraska is 27-13. Arkansas has played 13 Power 5 team 9 of which are ranked in the top 25. Nebraska has played 10 and 6 respectively. I agree that Arkansas has played more home games which might in part be attributed to the early weather in Nebraska as for the season Nebraska will play 17 road games and Arkansas 16. Also for the season, based on today's RPI Arkansas will play 18 ranked teams and Nebraska 14. Michigan and Ohio State have nice W/L records but each has played only 3 ranked teams. Hence no SOS.

Using the same logic to compare#6 OU to #5 Georgia and #7 Florida. To date OU has played 16 home games, 13 neutral site and 7 road games, For Florida it is 22, 6 and 12 In addition to Florida playing 4 more games the difference is neutral games as Florida has played both more road games (12) and home games (22) than the Sooners (7/16). If you look at Power 5 games and Top 25 games to date it favors Florida 19/10 to OU's 17/7. Extend that for the full season and it goes Florida's way 30/21 to 29/10. Thank you Big 12!

The difference between OU's and Georgia's schedule is again the difference in number of games played (+4) and the number of neutral site games due to weather as Georgia had played 9 home games before OU played its first home game. Hence fewer neutral site games for the Bulldogs and more home games. Georgia has to date played the same number of road games as the Sooners. Looking at the Power 5 games and top 25 games. To date Georgia has played 20/14 to OU's 17/7 and for the season the numbers are Georgia 29/20 and OU 29/10. Again it is OU playing in the Big 12 that is the killer.

It is the loss of A&M, Nebraska and Missouri that has decimated OU's SOS especially late in the season relative to the SEC and Pac 12. It must be remembered that SEC schools do not have to travel west in February to play games because of the weather they can remain in the south and generally do. Florida (5 g)and Georgia (5 g) both went west for 1 tournament, hosted a tournaments and played another in Florida while OU went west for 4 tournaments (18 g) in part because of OU's February weather.

But what do you propose to rectify what you think is unfair about the scheduling? Who do you suggest should be ranked ahead of the Pac 12 and SEC teams? Who is playing more of the better teams than those schools presently ranked in the top 25. Without answers to these questions you have nothing to complain about other than I just don't like the system. And the committee cares nothing about what you like or don't like. Their charter is to select the best 16 teams for the tournament. They do a good job of that.

While I do not like the circumstance OU must play under because I think the Sooners are the best team in the land but the RPI it is what it is. It has worked well at assessing all the teams considered for seedings. It has not worked well for OU. But not because the system is broken but because of OU's weak SOS when SOS accounts for 75% of the RPI. I would like to see SOS reduced by about 15% and team winning percentage increased to 40% but do not have the quantified justification for it and my opinion is as worthless as yours. I would assume the NCAA numbers warrant them not tweaking the system to make it better as we know those school that feel disadvantaged are voicing their concerns.

I don't like it will change nothing. Change will take place only when something better is presented as an alternative. That apparently has not been done to date. During the interim the RPI has been successful just not the utopic solution we would all like to see.

Last edited:
Wednesday; April 11, 2018 .. There is a game today at 5PM.

Sooners Host Shockers for Bark in the Park
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211710277

Wichita State is #29 in the RPI and visits OU today.

NORMAN — No. 2/2 Oklahoma (34-2, 9-0 Big 12) takes a break from conference play on Wednesday as it hosts Wichita State (22-14, 5-4 American Athletic Conference) in a midweek contest at Marita Hynes Field.

The Sooners are on a 25-game win streak, the longest active streak in the nation and the third-best streak in program history. OU is also undefeated at home this season, winning its last 20 contests at Marita Hynes Field, dating back to the 2017 season.

Wednesday’s game will be “Bark in the Park,” and the first 50 dogs will receive an OU dog leash. All dogs are required to have proof of vaccinations, and more information is available here. It will also be Dollar Hot Dog Night, while supplies last. Tickets are sold out.

The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports Southwest Plus and on the Fox Sports GO app. Additionally, it can be heard on the air through KEBC 1560 AM in Norman or online via the Franchise 2.

Program-Best Start

With a 34-2 record this season, the 2018 Sooners have matched the 2007 and 2013 squads for the best 36-game start in program history. The 2007 team finished 55-8, with its third loss coming in its 39th game, while the 2013 group was 57-4 on the year as it claimed the program’s second national championship, with its third loss coming in the 41st game.

The Sooners were undefeated in the month of March, beginning their 25-game winning streak on March 2. OU’s offense posted a slash line (AVG/OBP/SLG) of .344/.447/.575 in March while holding opponents to .143/.200/.196, outscoring foes 172-15. The Sooner pitching staff combined for an ERA of 0.76 with 153 total strikeouts.

Under 24th-year head coach Patty Gasso, the Sooners have only gone undefeated throughout an entire month four times, excluding June. The feat was also accomplished in May 2016, February 2013, February 2007 and April 2001.

It is not difficult to justify the current rankings whatsoever. Who is missing from the top 25 that should be there? May be an argument for a team or two but that is purely subjective. Who would you put in the top 25 to replace existing SEC members other than replace a 21-21 Missouri at #23. #21 Arkansas is 29-8 on the season and #26 Nebraska is 27-13. Arkansas has played 13 Power 5 team 9 of which are ranked in the top 25. Nebraska has played 10 and 6 respectively. I agree that Arkansas has played more home games which might in part be attributed to the early weather in Nebraska as for the season Nebraska will play 17 road games and Arkansas 16. Also for the season, based on today's RPI Arkansas will play 18 ranked teams and Nebraska 14. Michigan and Ohio State have nice W/L records but each has played only 3 ranked teams. Hence no SOS.

Using the same logic to compare#6 OU to #5 Georgia and #7 Florida. To date OU has played 16 home games, 13 neutral site and 7 road games, For Florida it is 22, 6 and 12 In addition to Florida playing 4 more games the difference is neutral games as Florida has played both more road games (12) and home games (22) than the Sooners (7/16). If you look at Power 5 games and Top 25 games to date it favors Florida 19/10 to OU's 17/7. Extend that for the full season and it goes Florida's way 30/21 to 29/10. Thank you Big 12!

The difference between OU's and Georgia's schedule is again the difference in number of games played (+4) and the number of neutral site games due to weather as Georgia had played 9 home games before OU played its first home game. Hence fewer neutral site games for the Bulldogs and more home games. Georgia has to date played the same number of road games as the Sooners. Looking at the Power 5 games and top 25 games. To date Georgia has played 20/14 to OU's 17/7 and for the season the numbers are Georgia 29/20 and OU 29/10. Again it is OU playing in the Big 12 that is the killer.

It is the loss of A&M, Nebraska and Missouri that has decimated OU's SOS especially late in the season relative to the SEC and Pac 12. It must be remembered that SEC schools do not have to travel west in February to play games because of the weather they can remain in the south and generally do. Florida (5 g)and Georgia (5 g) both went west for 1 tournament, hosted a tournaments and played another in Florida while OU went west for 4 tournaments (18 g) in part because of OU's February weather.

But what do you propose to rectify what you think is unfair about the scheduling? Who do you suggest should be ranked ahead of the Pac 12 and SEC teams? Who is playing more of the better teams than those schools presently ranked in the top 25. Without answers to these questions you have nothing to complain about other than I just don't like the system. And the committee cares nothing about what you like or don't like. Their charter is to select the best 16 teams for the tournament. They do a good job of that.

While I do not like the circumstance OU must play under because I think the Sooners are the best team in the land but the RPI it is what it is. It has worked well at assessing all the teams considered for seedings. It has not worked well for OU. But not because the system is broken but because of OU's weak SOS when SOS accounts for 75% of the RPI. I would like to see SOS reduced by about 15% and team winning percentage increased to 40% but do not have the quantified justification for it and my opinion is as worthless as yours. I would assume the NCAA numbers warrant them not tweaking the system to make it better as we know those school that feel disadvantaged are voicing their concerns.

I don't like it will change nothing. Change will take place only when something better is presented as an alternative. That apparently has not been done to date. During the interim the RPI has been successful just not the utopic solution we would all like to see.

All the words in the dictionary won't mean a thing to me unless I can look at the rankings and see that where someone has played (as well as who) is a key part of the formula. I see no evidence that it has any effect on the softball rpi.

We know that it has an effect on basketball. As has been explained on the various telecasts, the scores in gymnastics carry an entirely different weight when produced on the road as opposed to at home. A 198 at home barely gets notice. A 198 on the road is considered outstanding.

But, I keep looking at the SEC(and Pac 12) schedules and seeing little, if any, regard for whether a team has played on the road. You mentioned Georgia being ranked ahead of OU. I couldn't be less impressed. Georgia is 5-2 on the road, 26-2 at home. Seven road games? They did play five at a neutral site.

Georgia schedule:
https://georgiadogs.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=1451

Can you give me any reason why a team that plays horribly weak teams at home should be in the top ten? They are 11-4 in conference play. Only Oregon beat them in non-conference play. Who else might have beaten them? They are halfway through conference play, and they have only played seven road games. I think all seven are in conference. I don't think they played a non-conference road game.

Basketball knows better. Gymnastics knows better. Softball?

Now, look at the Pac12 and SEC schedules.

Wow! Sooners score seven runs in the sixth to lead 7-6.

Lowry takes over in the top of the seventh with a three up three down finish to keep their win streak alive, now at TWENTY SIX STRAIGHT.

Incredible comeback win!!!

WOW is right!

What a bottom of the 6th. Sooners score 7 runs on 3 hits, and 6 walks.

Trailing 6-0 going into the bottom of the 6th ... then, Sooner Magic!

Patty will have a little something to say to the team. They haven’t played really good since sweeping Hypocrite U. After KU this weekend, really no gimmes left, especially if they aren’t prepared to play.

I don't know how many earned runs Paige Parker has allowed all season. Allowing 6 earned runs in the 2nd inning has raised her ERA to 0.79.

Her ERA from the Wichita State game is 21.00, as she allowed 6 runs in 2 innings.

Last edited:
Plank said on broadcast that Paige had given up 6 earned runs all season, before the 6 given up tonight.

Prior to today's game she had allowed 6 earned runs on 3 HR's for 4 runs in 231 innings. Her era going into today's game was 0.40. After today she has allowed 12 earned runs in 233.2 innings with 10 of those runs a direct result of a HR which has always been her Achilles heel.

Paige has not thrown the ball well her last two games. She is getting behind the hitters on the pitch count and not hitting her corners like she normally does. The opponents have been getting good wood on the ball frequently. Sooners were very fortunate that Wichita State walked 6 batters in the 6th as we only had 7 hits. We also hit into 3 double plays two on line drives.

http://stats.ncaa.org/team/522/stats?id=13430&year_stat_category_id=13301

Paige had times last year when she suffered control problems. Fortunately, she seems to get her control back in the CWS. Until then, it's not so sure.

Patti Gasso has instilled a never-die attitude in her players for years now and it shows year after year. She is the epitome of what a great coach is.

I never followed softball much, however, I have gone to games and watched the team on television and the playoffs just as an OU fan.

One of my best friends follows the team all over the country now and is actually preparing to move back to Oklahoma after years of living back east and a big part of the reason is to go to OU football, basketball and women's softball.

This season he got me hooked for good so next season, I'm buying season tickets and going to all the home games and to the World Series games.

I really enjoy the tenacity of this team and how hard they play. They kind of seemed to be out of it for a bit today, but what a comeback!

I have to say this, I wish our women's basket played with that kind of determination, ability and heart.

I am not a knower of softball scoring- but after a two out strikeout where the runner reaches base on a wild pitch, would not the next three runs be unearned?
Since the inning should have ended but for the wild pitch?

Back