Softball

The rise ball, like a lot of curves, probably isn't in the strike zone. If you leave it low, it is very hittable. It only works if it gets you to swing, thinking it is going to be a waist high or slightly higher fast ball. Then, it continues its climb out of the zone. Most hitters don't hit balls that are at eye level. Trayna was the Bama pitcher a few years ago. Hoover threw it for LSU last year.

If you get a really good hitter, they lay off the rise ball and force you to bring it down. Some rise ball pitchers have nothing if forced to throw it waist high. But, even good hitters often pull it if it is high. Lauren hit two home runs in the last game last year. She had Osorio figured out. I'm only disappointed when our seniors have trouble with the rise. Both Kelsey and Paige throw the rise, but it isn't the only thing.

#2-2 Michigan: lost 9-16
#4-6 Alabama: won 2-0
#7-8 Washington: lost 3-10
#16-14 UCLA: won 11-7
#17-22 Minnesota: lost twice, 0-1, 10-12
#22-24 Fresno State: won 3-2
#24-25 Oregon State: lost 4-6
#---23 Nebraska: won 4-2

Others receiving votes:
Utah: won 6-2
Long Beach State: won 7-0
BYU: won twice, 8-0 in 5, 3-0

We are 4-5 against ranked teams.

Top 25

Rank Team Record (Record against top 25)
1-1 Florida 30-1 (9-1, 4-0 non-conference)
2-2 Michigan 21-2 (4-2)
3-3 Auburn 26-4 (1-3, 0-1 non-conference)
4-6 Alabama 26-5 (5-4, 3-2 non-conference)
5-5 Louisiana-Lafayette 22-2 (2-2)

6-4 LSU 25-5 (4-4, 1-1 non-conference)
7-8 Washington 19-5 (6-5, 6-3 non-conference)
8-7 Oregon 22-4 (5-4, 3-4 non-conference)
8-9 James Madison 22-2 (6-2)
10-11 Texas A&M 27-3 (5-2, 3-1 non-conference)

11-10 Florida State 23-3 (3-2)
12-12 Georgia 25-4 (1-2)
13-17 Missouri 20-4 (2-2)
14-13 Oklahoma 21-6 (4-5)
15-15 Kentucky 24-5 (3-1)

16-14 UCLA 18-8 (2-7)
17-22 Minnesota 19-9 (3-4)
18-21 Arizona State 22-9 (3-4)
19-16 Tennessee 21-8 (0-8, 0-4 non-conference)
20-18 Arizona 20-9 (5-6, 3-5 non-conference)

21-20 Baylor 23-6 (2-2)
22-24 Fresno State 18-8-1 (0-4-1)
23-19 Notre Dame 22-3 (1-2)
24-25 Oregon State 20-6-1 (2-2-1)
25---Texas 19-6 (0-1)
-----Nebraska 18-9 (1-3)

Notice how few games Texas has played against top 25 teams. OU has played nine.

Really excited to see how the rest of the season goes. We have some oustanding freshmen and a very good pitcher, when she is on. If our pitching picks up even more as the season progresses, we might have a shot at another trip to the WCWS. Looking ahead, but next season we have a great chance at getting our third national title.

Really excited to see how the rest of the season goes. We have some oustanding freshmen and a very good pitcher, when she is on. If our pitching picks up even more as the season progresses, we might have a shot at another trip to the WCWS. Looking ahead, but next season we have a great chance at getting our third national title.

Yes, and I believe we have a GREAT chance of making the WCWS this season. These kids Gasso has brought to Norman are elite lvel players, and they'll just get better as the season progresses.

It would surprise me if those freshmen hit a slump sometime this season. It would surprise me if they did not. I only hope that they dont do it all at the same time. If they do, my gut timing says that they will regain their form during the regionals. Maybe when they have trouble getting a bat on the ball, our pitching begins to be consistently good and they can carry us until the kids pick it back up.

I don't see this group of freshmen hitting a wall. We have already played the strongest part of our schedule. They hit it. We have played fifteen games against teams in the top fifty, with only eleven remaining. The eleven include nobody in the top thirteen. Baylor (three games), Tulsa (two), and Tennessee (one) are the only teams that might beat us. Anyone else is a pretty good upset. Our freshmen have seen the best and have competed.

Paige struck out the side in the first. UMKC isn't very good. I think they are #192.

Two out triple by Wodach. But, she was left on third.

Last edited:
Two two-out singles for UMKC. But, a force at third results in zero harm.

Self doubles home a run, but the Sooners leave the bases loaded. 1-0

Last edited:
UMKC leads off with two singles, but they are stranded.

In the bottom of the third, Knighten doubled, Clifton singled her home, Pendley doubled home two runs, and Nirschl singled home Pendley. 5-0 after three.

Last edited:
Fourth
Three strikeouts and a walk for UMKC.
5-0

Romero hit a blast reminiscent of Lauren, over the left field bleachers and on to a soccer field. But, the next three hitters grounded out. 6-0.

Last edited:
Fifth: KC leads off with a single. But, a foul pop and two ground balls strand her at first.

Aviu hit a walk-off grand slam, 10-0.

Last edited:
Paige wasnt at her sharpest, but her control is getting better.

Pendley – now a sophomore – is beginning to mature into the type of hitting threat I envisioned when she was signed by Gasso. And Romero, Aviu and Knighten will all be superstars.

I'm not quite sold yet on our pitching staff, however. With the freshmen still learning the ropes, we need Paige to be as dominant as she was last season.

Anyone know why Whitney didn't play this weekend? Ill? Or, hopefully not, injured?

Back