Softball

Trap game.

The Sooners are sporting a 31 game winning streak and a 35 game winning streak over Wichita State. OU came from behind last year, down 6-0 to win 7-6. I don't think those seniors have forgotten.

If Alo's bat will stay alive and we can get 7-10 HR's from her to close the season and Romero, Aviu, Clifton and Knighten can avoid their late season hitting slump of 2018 the stars should be aligned for the kids to get their 3rd natty of the senior's careers. Provided another school doen't get hot along with getting a couple of breaks come tournament time.

This is definitely the most complete team we have had in recent years. Might compare with 2013 team.

If Alo's bat will stay alive and we can get 7-10 HR's from her to close the season and Romero, Aviu, Clifton and Knighten can avoid their late season hitting slump of 2018 the stars should be aligned for the kids to get their 3rd natty of the senior's careers. Provided another school doen't get hot along with getting a couple of breaks come tournament time.

This is definitely the most complete team we have had in recent years. Might compare with 2013 team.

My biggest fear is that we go into the funk we went into last year. I think that possibility is the one I dread most..

Have to score runs in the playoffs. Taran Alvelo and Gabbie Plain are still pitching for Washington, and those pitchers both shut-out the Sooners to eliminate OU from the World Series last year, as Washington beat OU twice.

First things first ... the team needs to maintain its focus this weekend at Iowa State.

Romero, Juarez Named Top-26 Finalists for Player of the Year
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211801457

April 25, 2019: Oklahoma senior infielder Sydney Romero and junior pitcher Giselle Juarez have been named two of the top-26 finalists for the 2019 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year, USA Softball announced.

No. 1/1 Oklahoma is one of seven programs in the country to have multiple finalists for the award, which is considered the most prestigious honor in NCAA Division I softball.

Romero currently ranks fourth in the country in total bases (129), ninth in hits (65), 11th in batting average (.451) and slugging percentage (.896), 12th in runs per game (1.14), 20th in home runs (15), 22nd in strikeout rate (28.8 at-bats per strikeout) and 29th in RBIs. The senior third baseman leads all active Division I players with 295 career hits and 786 career at-bats. She ranks second with 511 career total bases, third with 203 RBIs and fourth with 210 runs scored.

Juarez is a perfect 18-0 in 24 appearances (18 starts). Over 103.1 innings this season, the All-American has struck out 140 batters while holding opponents to a .155 batting average. A native of Glendale, Ariz., Juarez ranks ninth nationally in strikeout-to-walk ratio (6.46) and 16th in strikeouts per seven innings pitched (9.2).

The top-10 finalists will be announced May 8 and the top three announced May 22. The 2018 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year will be revealed May 28.

:OU-logo:

This team is better than 2013 OU.

In 2013, opposing teams knew they were going to get beat even before they took the field. And they usually knew who it was that was going to provide the beating (Ricketts, Chamberlain, Pendley).

Now, six years later, teams still know they're about to get their hineys kicked, they just have no idea which Sooner(s) will be providing the shoe leather.

Hitting, pitching, defense – this team has it all. May be the most dominant college team ever.

But, of course, you're right. If the Sooners slump like they did late last season, they could miss out on another WCWS title.

This team is better than 2013 OU.

In 2013, opposing teams knew they were going to get beat even before they took the field. And they usually knew who it was that was going to provide the beating (Ricketts, Chamberlain, Pendley).

Now, six years later, teams still know they're about to get their hineys kicked, they just have no idea which Sooner(s) will be providing the shoe leather.

Hitting, pitching, defense – this team has it all. May be the most dominant college team ever.

But, of course, you're right. If the Sooners slump like they did late last season, they could miss out on another WCWS title.

Could be but that is to be determined. It is an answer we will not have until June 4th or 5th. Fail to win it all and they will be just another team that did not get the job done despite being outstanding on paper.

Personally I am expecting a championship but know that stranger things have happened in an 8 team double elimination tournament.

I can imagine Oklahoma losing a game in the WCWS but I cannot envision any team beating this OU team twice.

Iowa State: Series vs. No. 1 Oklahoma Adjusted Due To Weather
https://cyclones.com/news/2019/4/25/softball-series-vs-no-1-oklahoma-adjusted-due-to-weather.aspx

AMES, Iowa - Due to inclement weather expected in central Iowa on Saturday, the Iowa State softball team will play a doubleheader vs. No. 1 Oklahoma on Friday at the Cyclone Sports Complex. First pitch of game one vs. the Sooners is set for 2 p.m., with game two to follow approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of game one.

The series finale will remain on Sunday at 12 p.m., as previously scheduled. Admission is free to all home softball games at the Cyclone Sports Complex. The series will be broadcast live on Cyclones.tv.

I can imagine Oklahoma losing a game in the WCWS but I cannot envision any team beating this OU team twice.

No one thought that Washingtion could shutout the Sooners twice in last year's WCWS but they did. It happens. Not unusual for teams to get breaks to win it all. Alabama got the rain in the second game against OU with OU leading 1-0 in the series and ahead in game 2 and the refs continued to play despite the weather impacting Kelani's ability to spin the ball with minimal impact on Bama's Traina's ability to throw her rise ball. Result Bama wins the game and wins game 3. OU was hitting .321, averaging 6.66 r/g and had hit 82 HR's 58 games. In 2 games against Washington the 2018 WCWS we hit .240 and scored zero runs against the huskies. It happens it is why they play the games.

Nothing is a given before the game is played.

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/522/sta...id=13430&id=13430&year_stat_category_id=13300

http://www.soonersports.com/pdf9/5474183.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=31000

http://www.soonersports.com/pdf9/5474152.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=31000

4-26-19 National Statisical Rankings:

Statistic----------------Data-----------------Nat'l Rank

B.A-----------------------.368--------------------#1
ERA-----------------------1.21--------------------Tied #1
Fielding%----------------.987--------------------#1
HR's/game---------------1.86--------------------#2
OB%---------------------.456--------------------#1
Scoring-------------------8.00--------------------#1
Slg%---------------------.674--------------------#1
Winning%----------------.955--------------------#1
K to BB Ratio-------------6.42--------------------#2
Shutouts------------------20----------------------#2

You can watch both games on Cyclone.tv for a 24 hour pass. Price is a one time fee of $6.95.

Alo has been on some kind of streak. 10 out of 13 hits, 4 HRS 12 RBIs. Whatever she did on her weekend off, worked.

Only seven hits for OU, but four were home runs. Grand slam by Alo. Solo shot by Elam. Two solo shots by Shay.

8-3 final.

Game two at 4:30

Sydney Romero is in a tight race with Kelly Barnhill of Florida. Sydney's lead is now below 4%. Please continue voting at the link below

Senior Class Award / Vote at this Link
http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/softball_2019/

Senior Class Award Voting Update: 4/27/2019 .. 7am
32.3 % ... Sydney Romero; Oklahoma
28.5 % ... Kelly Barnhill; Florida
+3.8 %

YOUR VOTE COUNTS! Fan balloting counts for 1/3 of the total with the remaining 2/3 determined by NCAA Division I coaches and members of the national media. Come back as many times as you’d like through the voting period to vote for your favorite student-athletes!

(4/26/2019) Doubleheader Sweep Seals Series Win at ISU
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211801690

The Sooners hit six homers over the two games. Shay Knighten drilled two in the first contest while Jocelyn Alo and Lynnsie Elam both hit one in each game.

"Iowa State plays hard and swings hard," OU head coach Patty Gasso said. "If they're going to score a few runs like they did, our offense has got to stay in front of these guys... I was really happy to see some of these guys like Alo and Elam hitting hard.

"I'm very proud of this team," she continued. "Playing a doubleheader when you're tired is not easy to do. I'm proud of them and it'll reward them by having a day to rest tomorrow. It'll help us a ton. Overall, we weren't as sharp as we normally are, but it's two wins, and that's huge for us."

Friday's doubleheader was scheduled due to anticipated inclement weather in Ames on Saturday. The series finale is set for Sunday at noon CT.

Back