Softball

OU 3, Texas 1
Giselle Juarez struck out 10, walked one and scattered five hits as No. 1 Oklahoma edged No. 11/10 Texas in Austin, Texas.

OU (39-2, 10-0 Big 12) has won 29 straight games, the nation’s longest active streak.

The Sooners also have won 35 straight Big 12 games, extending a program and conference record. Also, OU has claimed 16 consecutive wins against the Longhorns.

The Sooners broke a scoreless tie with Sydney Romero’s two-run single in the fifth inning. They made it 3-0 on Kyle Lundberg’s pinch-hit RBI double in the seventh.

Texas fell to 36-10, 7-4. The Longhorns scored on a single, double and a one-out wild pitch in the bottom half, but Juarez induced two pop-ups to put out the threat.

Fale Aviu and Jocelyn Alo each had two hits for OU.

Game 2 is 6 p.m. Friday.

I don't know about the injury, but I got the feeling that she was not at all happy with the team's performance tonight. Both at the post-third inning interview and the post-game handshakes, she seemed irritated. I didn't see a smile or a real spirit of congratulations. I get the feeling that our hitters may not want to pull ground balls tomorrow.

All of Elish's strikeouts were of freshmen. She played our hitters for suckers, and we didn't adapt. We finally got some hits on opposite field shots. Pinch hitters started both rallies.

You may be right about her not being at all happy with the team's performance. But the injury would make anyone want to avoid smiling - for any reason.

Wow, what a crazy game. I didn't get to watch; I listened via Tunein, but sheesh, what a weird one. So many base-running errors.

Can someone explain to me how Romero failed to score from second on a double in the top of the eighth? Did they hold her up at third, as Chris Plank said, and if so, why?

Wow, what a crazy game. I didn't get to watch; I listened via Tunein, but sheesh, what a weird one. So many base-running errors.

Can someone explain to me how Romero failed to score from second on a double in the top of the eighth? Did they hold her up at third, as Chris Plank said, and if so, why?
It was really a single. Aviu went to second when they threw home to prevent Romero from going home.

On Aviu’s hit it was not hit hard enough. Hit into shallow left center field and they threw to the Infield and Aviu took second. No way for Syd to score.

Last edited:
The eighth was a great inning fro Aviu. Base hit to advance Romero to 3rd, great base running to take second on the very short throw home andwas very alert to steal home after Romero scored. That is clutch Aviu we all know ever so frequently.

Thanks, guys. Chris Plank is likable enough on the air, but he often neglects to fully paint the picture.

Thanks, guys. Chris Plank is likable enough on the air, but he often neglects to fully paint the picture.

Last night, some of the pictures weren't all that clear to anyone there. The third and fourth runs that OU had were interesting. We had Romero on third and Aviu on second when Clifton hit a line drive on which the Texas right fielder, Tedder, made a brilliant diving catch. But, now, she is flat on her face with Romero on third. Romero had ventured a step or two off of third, but went back to tag up when she saw it might be caught. While Tedder got up and threw home, Romero had no difficulty scoring third run. Meanwhile, Aviu has also gone to third.

But, now, we have absolute confusion. The camera was looking at a crowd of Texas players who were trying to make a case. Some seemed to be saying that Romero had left early. But, she had gone back to tag up. No dice. Some were arguing that Romero had missed home plate, which she had not. There was some movement in the background that was obscured by the Texas players. You saw an OU player running near home plate, but you couldn't get a good look at it.

But, suddenly, the score was 4-2. What had happened? We got another camera angle that showed the other side of the melee. Aviu was just standing on third, no action. Alo was standing on or near home plate, and she was due up next. There were no Texas players anywhere near home plate, maybe fifteen feet away. All of the Texas players were trying to get an umpire's attention. I think the coach was trying to say that he had called time out. When? Nothing had actually stopped.

Aviu took a step or two off third and noticed that nobody had seen her do it. Then, she streaked for home. Alo saw her coming and took a couple of quick steps towards the OU dugout to get out of the way. Still, no Texas players were looking over at Aviu. When she crossed the plate, I don't think any Texas player within fifteen feet had seen her. The only person who seemed to notice was an umpire who called her safe as she crossed the plate with the fourth run.

Then, we had some discussion. Had Romero left early, touched the plate? Hat the coach called time? The umpires weren't having any of it.

I think Aviu got credit for a stolen base.

Great description! Fale Aviu did get credit for the stolen base. She stole home, which turned out to be the winning run. What a wild 8th inning. Great defensive play by Alo to gun down the potential tying run at home plate.

The new Texas coach is good. The Red River Rivalry is back in Softball.

So far this weekend, it has been BEDLAM in the Red River Rivalry. It has been no easy feat to win those first two road games against a Texas softball team that definitely has FIGHT. These tough games are great preparation for the post-season. Texas softball is legit.

Great weekend for softball, as Sooners (41-2; 12-0) sweep the 'Horns in Austin.

Sooners Finish Sweep of No. 11/10 Texas
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211800762

Oklahoma @ Texas (36-12; 7-6)
> Thursday .. Win 3-1
> Friday .... Win 4-3 (8 innings)
> Saturday .. Win 9-2

Games Next Week
Wed; April 24 (6PM) .. @ Wichita State (28-20; 9-6 AAC)
Fri; April 26 (4PM) .. @ Iowa State
Sat; April 27 (1PM) .. @ Iowa State
Sun; April 28 (1PM) .. @ Iowas State

Iowa State (27-18; 4-8) swept all 3 games this weekend on the road at Baylor. Earlier in the season the Cyclones were swept by Oklahoma State and Texas.

:OU-logo:

Last edited:
Senior Class Award / Vote at this Link
http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/softball_2019/

Senior Class Award Voting: 4/20/2019 Update
32.2 % ... Sydney Romero; Oklahoma
26.7 % ... Kelly Barnhill; Florida
+5.5 %

YOUR VOTE COUNTS! Fan balloting counts for 1/3 of the total with the remaining 2/3 determined by NCAA Division I coaches and members of the national media. Please see the Selection Process section of this website for more information.

http://www.seniorclassaward.com/about/

It was an outstanding weekend for Alo. In addition to her batting performance, she made the great throw to home plate from right field to get the final out in the bottom of the 8th inning to seal the victory in game 2.

Alo Weekend Stats
8 .. At Bats
5 .. Hits
3 .. Walks (including a HBP)
2 .. Runs
3 .. RBI's
1 .. Home Run
0 .. Strike Outs

:OU-logo:

RPI results for the week:

#1 FSU sweeps #129 Boston College and lost 2 to #38 UNC and 1 to #8 Florida
#2 Washington wins 2 of 3 over #106 Utah
#3 UCLA sweep #46 Oregon State
#4 OU sweeps #5 Texas
#6 LSU loses 2 of 3 to #25 Arkansas, #11 Alabama sweeps 3 from #8 Florida
#7 Arizona sweeps #26 Stanford
#9 Minnesota sweeps #97 Nebraska
#10 Tennessee loses 2 of 3 to #35 Georgia.

The new RPI will be released Monday and OU should move up a spots or two.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/ncaa-womens-softball-rpi

Last edited:
RPI results for the week:

#1 FSU sweeps #129 Boston College and lost 2 to #38 UNC and 1 to #8 Florida
#2 Washington wins 2 of 3 over #106 Utah
#3 UCLA sweep #46 Oregon Stat,
#4 OU sweeps #5 Texas
#6 LSU loses 2 of 3 to #25 Arkansas, #11 Alabama sweeps 3 from #8 Florida
#7 Arizona sweeps #26 Stanford
#9 Minnesota won 2 from and leading 4-2 after 5 in third over #97 Nebraska
#10 Tennessee split first 2 with #35 Georgia. Georgia leading 2-0 after 3 in the third game.

The new RPI will be released Monday and OU should move up a spots or two.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/ncaa-womens-softball-rpi
check your oregon/ucla again

check your oregon/ucla again

UCLA was not playing Oregon they played the ducks last weekend. The ducks won 1 of 3 April 12-14. They were playing Oregon State as I stated earlier. And yes the Bruins sweep the Beavers 8-1, 10-2 and 7-0.

UCLA was not playing Oregon they played the ducks last weekend. The ducks won 1 of 3 April 12-14. They were playing Oregon State as I stated earlier. And yes the Bruins sweep the Beavers 8-1, 10-2 and 7-0.

OK. I thought you were referring to the stats of Oregon/UCLA. Just hadn't thought of stat meaning state.

Back