Softball

North Carolina 6 Florida State (#1 rpi) 5 (9)

North Carolina 1 Florida State (#1 rpi) 0

Bad way to finish a week last night.

That is 4 losses in 6 games and they have to play #8 Florida and possibly Kelly Barnhill Wednesday which could easily be another loss. Pitching has abandoned them as they have allowed 13 runs in each of their last two series and given up 6 runs or more 3 times. They also got shutout twice.

Joey Helmer
@joeyhelmer247
Jocelyn Alo did not travel to Kansas last week. Patty Gasso tells
@jhale24
on
@Sportstalk1400
it was best for Alo to take a week away from softball. She’s back and will travel to Austin this weekend.

April 16, 2019
Big-12: Green, Juarez and Bayless Claim Softball Weekly Honors
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211799976

Oklahoma’s Grace Green and Giselle Juarez, along with Oklahoma State’s Rylee Bayless garnered Big 12 softball weekly awards for their performances in week 10.

Green and Bayless received Big 12 Softball Co-Players of the Week. Green led the Big 12 with a slugging percentage of 2.143 and 15 total bases. The freshman also tied the league in home runs with three, including her second multi-homer game, and in runs (5). Bayless was the only Big 12 player to record double-digit hits. She recorded at least three hits in all three of OSU’s games, capping her weekend with the 32nd four-hit game by a Cowgirl in program history.

Juarez was named Pitcher of the Week, for the third time this season, after registering a complete-game shutout in the series opener at Kansas. This was her second shutout of the year and first in conference play. The junior also struck out 11 batters in the opener, matching the highest single-game total by a Big 12 pitcher in a conference game this season.

This is the first career honor for Bayless, the second for Green and third for Juarez.

Current National Statistical Rankings for the Sooners

Statistic------------------Data-----------Nat'l Rank

Batting Average-----------.374-----------------#1
ERA------------------------1.20-----------------#1
Shutouts---------------------19-----------------#1
Fldg%----------------------.987-----------------#1
HR/Game------------------1.93-----------------#1
OBP------------------------.465-----------------#1
Scoring--------------------8.20-----------------#1
Winning%-----------------.950-----------------#1
SO-to-Walk Ratio---------6.36-----------------#2

stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=WSB&division=1

Despite their dominance on the field the Sooners are currently ranked only #4 in the RPI because of SOS. However OU has the strongest SOS to close the season and that gap should be narrowed as we should get to play #5 Texas and #17 OSU at total of 7 or 8 times to close the regular season and conference tournament.

www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/ncaa-womens-softball-rpi

Last edited:
Memories: Keilani Ricketts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keilani_Ricketts

OU SOFTBALL - CAREER HOME RUNS
1. 95 Lauren Chamberlain ‘12-15
2. 65 Shelby Pendley ‘13-15
3. 61 Jessica Shults ‘10-13
4. 56 Amber Flores ‘07-10
5. 50 Keilani Ricketts ‘10-13
6. 48 Samantha Ricketts ‘06-09
7. 47 Nicole Pendley ’15-18
8. 46 Ashli Barrett ’98-01
9. 44 Heather Scaglione ’02-05
10. 39 Brittany Williams ‘11-14

SINGLE SEASON HOME RUNS
30 .. Lauren Chamberlain 2012
30 .. Lauren Chamberlain 2013
30 .. Jocelyn Alo 2018 ... Freshman Season
24 .. Shelby Pendley 2015
23 .. Lauren Chamberlain 2015
22 .. Shelby Pendley 2013
20 .. Lynette Velazquez 1999
20 .. Lisa Carey 2000
20 .. Jessica Shults 2012
19 .. Jessica Shults 2011
19 .. Shelby Pendley 2014

As a sophomore this year, Jocelyn Alo's stats have "fallen off" compared to her freshman season. However, her sophomore stats are still very good.

Jocelyn Alo Sophomore stats to date
.361 Batting Average (7th best on team)
29 RBIs (6th best on team)
9 Doubles (2nd best on team)
7 Home Runs (4th best on team)

According to Coach Patty Gasso on her radio interview with James Hale yesterday, Jocelyn Alo has been under excessive self-imposed stress since she was putting too much physical and mental pressure on herself to equal or exceed her freshman performance (especially home runs). Coach Gasso told Jocelyn Alo to get completely away from softball last week, and to not even watch games on TV or listen to games on the radio. Coach Gasso took this action to help recharge Alo's batteries and to help her remember that softball is supposed to be fun.

After her week off, Jocelyn Alo is back and will be with the team in Austin this weekend.

Apparently, there was no other "issue." It was a coach's way of helping a student-athlete. James Hale asked Coach Gasso if she had taken similar action with other players in the past. In so many words, she said yes, but maybe not to this extent (a full week off).

Last edited:
The Career Home run list above does not include current year stats.

For example, as it stands today, Sydney Romero has moved into 6th place on the career home run list. She started the season with 34 career HRs, and has added 15 more so far in her senior season; giving her a career total of 49 to date. Sydney needs one more to tie Keilani Ricketts for 5th place on the list.

The Oklahoman / OU softball weekend recap:
Sooners extend winning streak despite Alo’s absence

https://newsok.com/article/5628969/...rs-extend-winning-streak-despite-alos-absence

NORMAN — Oklahoma outfielder Jocelyn Alo didn't travel with the team last weekend for its series at Kansas.

Coach Patty Gasso recommended that Alo not make the trip, hoping the days off would give her slugger a chance to reset.

"I've been in places where athletes have gone to that area where they just need a break,” Gasso said. “She didn't do anything wrong. There's no punishment, nothing like that. It's more me caring about her as a person and giving her a breath. It was the right time to do it, and I do believe it's recharged her."

Alo hit 30 home runs last year, tying the OU single-season record and NCAA freshman record set by Lauren Chamberlain in 2012. She hit .420 with a .549 on-base percentage.

Her numbers have dipped this season. Alo is seventh on the team with a .361 average. She's hit seven home runs — fourth on the team, but well behind her freshman pace.

OU softball update from Eric Bailey...

Looking ahead: The Sooners take a 28-game winning streak into a weekend series at Texas. Games are Thursday, Friday and Saturday. OU will play at Wichita State on Wednesday.

Looking back: Oklahoma did not allow a run in a three-game sweep at Kansas, winning by a combined score of 23-0.

Notable: OU is ranked No. 1 nationally in both major polls. … Giselle Juarez is the reigning Big 12 pitcher of the week after allowing just one hit in seven innings last week. … Grace Green is the Big 12 co-player of the week after going 5-for-7, including four extra-base hits.

Anyone have some advice on accessing tonight's game? I'm not receiving it on the Franchise 2 (and I don't think I have access to the LHN).

Great game. Anybody know what happened to Patty? Looked like she might have gotten hit by a ball in the face. Looked like she was in some pain.

I don't know about the injury, but I got the feeling that she was not at all happy with the team's performance tonight. Both at the post-third inning interview and the post-game handshakes, she seemed irritated. I didn't see a smile or a real spirit of congratulations. I get the feeling that our hitters may not want to pull ground balls tomorrow.

All of Elish's strikeouts were of freshmen. She played our hitters for suckers, and we didn't adapt. We finally got some hits on opposite field shots. Pinch hitters started both rallies.

I don't know about the injury, but I got the feeling that she was not at all happy with the team's performance tonight. Both at the post-third inning interview and the post-game handshakes, she seemed irritated. I didn't see a smile or a real spirit of congratulations. I get the feeling that our hitters may not want to pull ground balls tomorrow.

All of Elish's strikeouts were of freshmen. She played our hitters for suckers, and we didn't adapt. We finally got some hits on opposite field shots. Pinch hitters started both rallies.

I felt that the ground balls to the SS and 3rd were what was to be expected when they were selecting inside pitches to swing at. Softball 101 you are not going to hit inside pitches to the right side of the infield so lay off the pitch. With runners in scoring position better pitch selection should have gotten more FO and ball to the right side and behind the runners.

I felt that the ground balls to the SS and 3rd were what was to be expected when they were selecting inside pitches to swing at. Softball 101 you are not going to hit inside pitches to the right side of the infield so lay off the pitch. With runners in scoring position better pitch selection should have gotten more FO and ball to the right side and behind the runners.
My point and hers, exactly.

Back