Softball

They keep messing around, OKC will lose the right to host the WCWS...

Their biggest mistake was allowing it to rain so much over the last month or so. ;)

If I remember correctly, OKC has the contract for the WCWS through 2035 or something like that. And the construction project has always been a 2 year project.

They keep messing around, OKC will lose the right to host the WCWS...

You are correct MsPS. The improvement to the facility are part of a contract with the NCAA which required the upgrades taking place. That contract will insure the WCWS stays in OKC through 2035. So we can relax for the next 16 years.

Based on the history of improvements during the last decade I would anticipate there we be continued ongoing improvements in the facility going forward. Being pro active in facility enhancements is how we have kept the WCWS 1990-2035.

Last edited:
Norman Region

Oklahoma Softball
@OU_Softball
#⃣1⃣

For the second time in program history, the #Sooners are the NCAA Softball Tournament's top seed!

Oklahoma will welcome Notre Dame, Wisconsin and UMBC in the NCAA Norman Regional Friday-Sunday.

Eric Bailey
@EricBaileyTW
·
19m
NCAA Softball
Norman Regional
Oklahoma (49-2) vs UMBC (30-22), 8:30 p.m. Friday

Wisconsin (40-12) vs. Notre Dame (36-16), 6 p.m. Friday

Regarding the whole OSU thing - I couldn't believe something I saw on Facebook (OU Softball Fans Proud group). Apparently, OSU is just barely stopping short of claiming they won the tournament because of being the "only 2-0 team" when it was called. Unbelievable.

I will also beg to differ on the notion that I should root for OSU when they're not playing us. I never root for them, unless it helps OU directly for them to beat someone. I'd rather hold my nose and even favor UT against them. Too many bad experiences, albeit over 40 years ago, in Stoolwater. I will never set foot in an OSU athletic facility again. And no, I didn't "start anything," either.

As I posted earlier in this thread I think nothing that is good for pukesville is good for OU except circumstances where a puke win will benefit OU achieving its goals as a team. That being said I am a fan of several of their coaches past and present because of the quality job they did coaching their teams. Eddie Sutton, Mike Gundy and now Kenny Gajewski come to mind.

KG was on Florida’s staff when the Gators won back-to-back national championships in 2014 and 2015 and has really turned around the puke softball program in a short period of time and I think they are going to continue to get better. His teams play aggressive and competitively especially against OU. But he also has great respect of Patty and the OU team.

Recently KG at the Big 12 Tournament said referring to OU: “It’s frustrating, because we’re fighting that, they’re maybe the best team I’ve ever seen, and I coached on a staff with some really good teams. They’re what I call Patty-tough. You’re not matching their talent,” Gajewski told his team. “You’re gonna have to match their toughness … I don’t know that we can compete. It’ll be interesting. But we’re gonna show up, I’ll tell you that. We’ll meet ‘em at the gate.”

His star Samantha Show is aggessively competitive like her coach but has yet to learn how to be respectfully aggressive when speaking about your rival like her coach has hence she has ruffled some feathers with her comments.

Last edited:
Their biggest mistake was allowing it to rain so much over the last month or so. ;)

If I remember correctly, OKC has the contract for the WCWS through 2035 or something like that. And the construction project has always been a 2 year project.

this is correct this year was pressbox and locker rooms after the WCWS is the upper deck

from Eric Bailey...

​​​​​​​
The state of Oklahoma will be well-represented in this year’s NCAA Softball Championship.

Oklahoma (49-2) drew the 64-team bracket’s top overall seed and Oklahoma State (39-14) is the No. 13 seed. Both schools will host four-team regionals on their respective home fields this weekend.

Tulsa (35-18) will head to OSU as an at-large team. It will be the fourth straight season that the Golden Hurricane has played in an NCAA regional.

The Sooners will open against the University of Maryland-Baltimore County (30-22), the America East champions. First pitch is approximately 8:30 p.m. on Friday. Wisconsin (40-12) and Notre Dame (36-16) will begin at 6 p.m. at Marita Hynes Field in Norman.

“I’m proud of this group,” OU head coach Patty Gasso said in a statement.

“Earning the No. 1 seed is a big accomplishment, and it’s very difficult to do. A lot of hard work was put into this season so far. This team is highly motivated, and I’m excited for what comes next for them.”

You are right about the contract through 2035. I could not remember so a few days ago, I researched. It was contingent upon certain changes being made. I don't remember if certain things had to be done by x date or not. Like you said, maybe they were given 2 years or maybe the project going on now was just a two year project. I think the most important thing is that whether the required improvements have been made is the quality of the facilities for the WCWS for the tournament, whether improvements finished or not. OKC and OK county have horrific recent history in their improvement projects.....who they hire, how it is completed, aspects which are completed with bad planning, bad equipment, etc., and THEN instead of holding the companies accountable the city or the county pay the SAME people to come in and fix what should have been warranted work. THAT makes me worried about the tournament coming up. Sure you cannot control the weather, but you can plan to account for it with the work you are doing.

2 examples, not okc or okcounty, elementary school in Lincoln worked on over summer.....TWO different times at least 5 years apart...……...roof was involved both times...……...rained and ruined the teacher's own books and other materials they had provided themselves...preventable...……….you do not leave a building without cover...............what was really bad was there was mice, mold etc AND who do you think had to clean it up............THE teachers.........….not for extra pay, not even for pay because they weren't scheduled to be there...............the company should have cleaned up and with the help of the teachers to advice as to what to do with things and the teachers paid........but this is how corporations work and how the elected officials take there kickbacks, in whatever fashion they come...insane

WITH ALL THAT SAID, I hope this was planned better so that what is essential to a good tournament was completed...

OKC and OK county have horrific recent history in their improvement projects.....who they hire, how it is completed, aspects which are completed with bad planning, bad equipment, etc., and THEN instead of holding the companies accountable the city or the county pay the SAME people to come in and fix what should have been warranted work. THAT makes me worried about the tournament coming up. Sure you cannot control the weather, but you can plan to account for it with the work you are doing.

what is the recent history of OKC having horrific improvement projects??

specifics please??

this was always a multi year project and the entire time line has been known for a long long time

https://newsok.com/article/5597133/wcws-hall-of-fame-stadium-will-look-different-for-fans-next-year

From Guerin Emig: Should UMBC expect another miracle at softball powerhouse Oklahoma?

​​​​​​​
UMBC drew Oklahoma, the No. 1 overall seed, when NCAA softball tournament pairings came down Sunday night. If you follow the NCAA basketball tournament at all, you can guess what happened next.

“Once we found out I looked at the girls like, ‘Hey, you know what? Teams at our university have faced this before. They overcame giants and won a game they were never expected to win,’” UMBC softball coach Chris Kuhlmeyer said.

“We’re known for upsets, whether it’s in our own conference tournament upsetting No. 1 seeds or the run of our basketball team in the (2018) NCAA Tournament. We’re facing the same pressure, the same uphill climb that our men’s basketball team did against Virginia.

“Hey, let’s go beat No. 1. Why not? Why not us?”

The basketball Retrievers played the game of their lives and hammered Virginia that March night in Charlotte.

The softball Retrievers must play similarly above their heads to upset Oklahoma, a 49-2 powerhouse carrying both a 39-game winning streak and the potential to go down as one of the best teams in recent NCAA history.

I have no idea if they are on schedule for each phrase, but right now the stadium could not even be used for the Big 12 tournament. Wasn’t trying to ruffle so many people’s feathers, just making an observation. Geez.

I have no idea if they are on schedule for each phrase, but right now the stadium could not even be used for the Big 12 tournament. Wasn’t trying to ruffle so many people’s feathers, just making an observation. Geez.

i don't think any one was bothered by your comment

I hadn't even seen your comment. I'm not sure what you are referring to? The new OU facilities? Somehow, losing the WCS in OKC got hooked into this discussion.

I have seen nothing to expect the project in Norman is on time, and I'm not even sure what that means. Others follow this more than I.

As far as the CWS, Norman has nothing to do with the CWS. OKC was named the host of the CWS before OU became a power of any kind and will remain so. If you follow the discussion on Robocoach, there is no real objection to OKC. Nobody else is set up to host the CWS, much less the World Championships which are held there. The Hall of Fame facilities are a lot more than something to do with OU.

Besides, where else are they going to get to see a tornado.

For OU, the trip to the CWS begins tomorrow against UMBC who was fourth in their conference and won its tournament.

http://stats.ncaa.org/teams/472057

It is always unwise in sports to overlook someone. It is rarely this difficult to get your attention on the first game. UMBC defeated 0 teams in the top 100 rpi. They were something like 1-12 against teams in the top 150. Their rpi is somewhere around 215. I haven't looked it up. But, they may be the weakest team we have played this year.

Their ace freshman pitcher who had something like 350 Ks was bombed by teams like Mass Lowell, Lehigh, Stony Brook. Against that caliber of competition, I suspect that Parker Conrad would have been the primary candidate for national player of the year.

Wisconsin-----early in the year, I had a lot of interest in what they were doing. They lost to Tech. But, they beat nearly everyone else. But, it is relevant that they were 0-6 against Northwestern, Minnesota, and Michigan while beating up on the rest of the Big Ten. They are good at beating bad teams, rarely slipping up. They did beat Texas in an extra-inning game (as I remember, think it was 0-0 through eight) after losing a couple of days earlier. I doubt they show up strong enough to beat Notre Dame, much less OU. They just don't seem to do well above the bottom feeder level.

Notre Dame----pogo stick team. They are run-ruled in one game, only to surprise someone in the next. They were run-ruled by Syracuse! They did do well in the final run to the ACC tournament until they were beaten 2-0 by FSU. They had beaten FSU in Tallahassee earlier this year, a day after FSU run-ruled them.

Notre Dame does have a very good power hitter who had 20 home runs and only ten Ks.. Good hitter. But, they have only fifty HRs as a team. This is a team that might actually beat you----once.

Are today's softball games on TV?
I haven't found them yet. If I do, I will be taping OSU. I'm not missing the end of Big Bang Theory for anything to do with Arkansas or BYU. I think Tulsa and OSU should win these, even in Fayetteville, unless Tulsa makes a pile of errors like they did against us. That's more the Hogs style.

I thought they would all be televised. The Searh function on my Cox Cable box doesn't work very well. If shows me the games on Saturday but not the games on Friday, even though I can see the Friday games on the guide.

Back