Softball

I have generally found oswho fans, of any sport, to be the lowest of the low. I can cheer for anyone against osho. Texas, Notre Dame, you name it.

I would have to agree. They seem so incredibly bitter. I was working a job in Arkansas a year ago and came across an OSU alum who noticed I was an OU alum. It seemed as soon as she noticed she changed her tone towards me and started in on how horrible a university OU was, etc. I just smiled and killed her with kindness. Note, this was the week after we beat them in Bedlam. I didnt expect to come across this in a professional environment, and from someone that wasn't even a colleague..Just so immature!

When I was in school in the early '60's most of my friends and I always rooted for OSU as a fellow state school except when playing them. Had a couple OSU fans that were big time OU football fans one even when OU played OSU. We often went to Stillwater to see OSU play when the Sooners were on the road due only 1 TV game per week.

But things begin to evolve and the the OSU fandom soon took on the mantra of OU losing was more important to them than seeing OSU win. I labeled it "Sooner Syndrome" still refer to it as such.

I do on occasion hope for a puke win when it aids OU's national and conference goals but never root for them in that process. I have concluded as a rule that nothing that is good for OSU is good for OU and their demise ranks behind only that of Texas and OU winning championships on my critera list of what I want as a 70 year Sooner fan.

Last edited:
OSU goes into the bottom of the 6th down 2-0 to UT and proceeds to score 6 and win 6-2 in the first game of the tourney.

I could only listen at work, but I loved how the Sooners scratched out some early runs and then sealed the run-rule win with a late outburst, with G and Shannon looking sharp throughout. Nice win all the way around.

What channel will our next game be on? the Cox guide in Tulsa says the 3rd game of the Big XII tournament is on FSN from 5:00 - 7:00 but they are showing ND and FSU.

EDIT: I found it on one of the alternate Fox channels, 340 on Cox Cable. It will be a lousy picture but I guess it's better than nothing.

Last edited:
What channel will our next game be on? the Cox guide in Tulsa says the 3rd game of the Big XII tournament is on FSN from 5:00 - 7:00 but they are showing ND and FSU.

EDIT: I found it on one of the alternate Fox channels, 340 on Cox Cable. It will be a lousy picture but I guess it's better than nothing.

Game against Kansas is tonight at 7:30 pm on FSSW+ (channel 676-2 on Direct TV) per the Direct TV Guide.

Tomorrows championship game is scheduled for 4 pm on FS2 (channel 618 on Direct TV) per the Direct TV Guide.

Pukes beat ISU 17-2 in 5. Pukes hit 7 homeruns, 5 in the 2nd inning. Pukes scored 23 runs in their last 6 at bats. They have lots of momntum for tomorrow afternoon's championship game.

Doesn't mean much, since both OU and oswho are definitely in the tourney, anyway, but I was looking forward to watching today's game-and-a-half.

Doesn't mean much, since both OU and oswho are definitely in the tourney, anyway, but I was looking forward to watching today's game-and-a-half.

Yeah, I was watching the OU vs KU game last night until the rains came down strongly and washed it out - - it had been raining lightly previously, but the official allowed the teams to play up until then. OU was leading 5-0 in the top of the 4th, 2 outs and had the bases loaded with Grace Green coming to bat when the game was called. We could have easily wound up run-ruling the Jayhawks, just ran out of time and good weather.

I have mixed feelings about the rest of the tournament being canceled: OTOH, every win helps when it comes to ranking in the postseason, and the KU game and the following game against OSU would have been two more Ws - - finishing the KU game would have been the cherry on top of the season, with a 50-2 record. Instead, they finish conference play at 49-2.

On the OTHER hand, we had just got through sweeping Okie State, two at their place, one at Norman just prior to the tourney. Okie State is a pretty good team (they had just lit up Iowa State 17-2 in a run-rule game prior to the beginning of the OU-KU game). Glad in a way that the tourney was called, no sense in letting the Pukes be the ones to snap our conference and national winning streaks... Probably wouldn't have happened, but it just takes one good pitcher having a great game and backed by hot bats to spell defeat. Okie State no doubt would have LOVED to have snapped our streaks and avenged their sweep last week! :D

Last edited:
The tournament being cancelled does ensures the Sooners of getting the #1 RPI seeding for the NCAA tournament which will give us the easiest path (on paper) to make the WCWS. Also we know if we make the WCWS we will play the winner of the weakest super-regional (#8 seed) in our 1st game in OKC. I will take that.

I'm very proud of our girls. They not only dominate, but have total class.

I happened to take a look at the oklahoma state women's softball forum and was shocked at how tacky some of their fans were towards our team before/after we swept them. A few people in particular even went so far as to say that our girls look like a heard of 'Wildebeests' and at least their girls were pretty and looked good when they were out on the field, unlike our girls. There were a few posters that called these particular statements out, but for the most part it was agreed upon. Things like this just further reiterate the difference in class between the two programs. I say have some humility upon defeat, don't get ugly and name call!
You can't blame the players for the fans. Fans of all teams criticize players on other teams or other teams in general and more times than not the players of the different teams know and like each other.

And when on the internet, you are not going to find as many fair minded posts, especially on sports sites. I do not get oklahoma citizens who are either Ou or Osu fans not rooting for both ou and osu, except when the outcome affects there favorite team. I like both, also always liked Nebraska and Texas...still do. Texas is an outstanding university.

It just seems hate, criticism, especially childish criticism rules the day. Calling someone fat, ugly, etc.....it is like people have regressed to junior high. Plus making it personal....personally disliking someone who does not coach well, play well, who is a kid in college and criticism them for not living perfect lives. I guess everyone who posts such things were perfect in college, had their act together, was emotionally stable at all times, had no family problems etc. Re the university and its employees, it is a state university and our tax money is to help all...especially the ones who need it most. That is what is best for our country. Be it sports or anything having to do with the university. As an aside, what does Colton having married an OU basketball player have to do with anything? How is that somehow a negative comment to throw at him? As criticism it is a major fail.

Last edited:
NCAA Selection Show Tonight / Sunday, May 12, 2019 / ESPN2; 8PM

NCAA Softball - Road to the 2019 Championship
https://www.ncaa.com/championships/softball/d1/road-to-the-championship

National Participation - There are 291 NCAA member institutions that sponsor Division I Softball teams and are eligible to compete in the National Championship. All 291 programs support approximately more than 6,000 Softball student-athletes across the country.

Selection Process - The Division I Softball Championship provides for a field of 64 teams to compete in the national tournament. Of the 64 teams, 32 teams will receive automatic qualification with the remaining best 32 teams selected on an at-large basis by the Division I Softball Committee. Sixteen teams will be seeded and each of the seeded teams will be placed at one of the regional sites.

Selection Show | Sunday, May 12, 2019
The 2019 NCAA Division I Softball Championship bracket will be announced Sunday, May 12.

Regionals | May 17 - 19, 2019
Regionals for the NCAA Division I Softball Championship will be held May 17 - 19, 2019 on 16 campus sites. At each campus site, a four-team, double-elimination tournament will be conducted and the 16 winning teams advanced to the Super Regionals.

Super Regionals | May 23 - 26, 2019
Super Regionals for the NCAA Division I Softball Championship will be held May 23 - 26, 2019 on eight campus sites. At each site, two teams play in a best-of-three tournament format. The winners from each site advance to the NCAA Women’s College World Series.

Women's College World Series | May 30 - June 5, 2019
The 2019 NCAA Women’s College World Series will be held at USA Softball Hall of Fame Stadium - OGE Energy Field in Oklahoma City, May 30 - June 5, 2019. The eight teams will compete in a double elimination bracket with the final two teams then competing in a best of three format. This is the 38th annual NCAA Division I Softball Championship and the 29th time that Oklahoma City and USA Softball Hall of Fame Stadium - OGE Energy Field will host this premier college softball championship event.

:OU-logo:

I hope they get the stadium ready before the World Series. I was there for the Big 12 tournament and it looked like they had a long ways to go to be ready by the end of the month.

I hope they get the stadium ready before the World Series. I was there for the Big 12 tournament and it looked like they had a long ways to go to be ready by the end of the month.

They keep messing around, OKC will lose the right to host the WCWS...

Back