Softball

The heavy weather is moving into Tulsa. Tornado Warning for southern Broken Arrow.

Good one going on right now; Michigan & JMU locked in a scoreless tie in the 9th. This was the early rounder that I had my eyes on; there were a lot of people who were a bit surprised that JMU didn’t get a regional. They’re no pushover.

Good one going on right now; Michigan & JMU locked in a scoreless tie in the 9th. This was the early rounder that I had my eyes on; there were a lot of people who were a bit surprised that JMU didn’t get a regional. They’re no pushover.
JMU is curious. They beat some good teams. But, they also lost to some teams that they shouldn't have.

ASU up 4-2 on Bama in the 2nd. Looks for all the world like ASU got robbed of a run on a delayed double steal to end the inning.

That was a terrfic win. The offense wasn't in high gear, but G was dominant and kept the Badgers at bay throughout.

That foul-ball call in the seventh was absurd, and that the ump kept yapping at Coach Gasso was just as bad. I know that's the home plate ump's call, but is he not allowed to ask the third-base ump for help?

That was a terrfic win. The offense wasn't in high gear, but G was dominant and kept the Badgers at bay throughout.

That foul-ball call in the seventh was absurd, and that the ump kept yapping at Coach Gasso was just as bad. I know that's the home plate ump's call, but is he not allowed to ask the third-base ump for help?

Close calls are part of the game. Once the ump makes the call, that's it. What I like is that the Sooners overcame the call to score 2 big insurance runs in the inning. That is what champions do. Don't mope about it. Fight on. They did. Good win.

"G" has been something else. So impressive.

:OU-logo:

Close calls are part of the game. Once the ump makes the call, that's it. What I like is that the Sooners overcame the call to score 2 big insurance runs in the inning. That is what champions do. Don't mope about it. Fight on. They did. Good win.

It wasn't a close call -- it was an obviously bad call. The ball clearly hit the bag, and the obvious cloud of chalk that arose when it did just confirmed it.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you've said, but umps ask for help all the time (perhaps more often in baseball than in softball, but it happens in softball, too). The goal, especially at this point in the season, is to get the call correct, not to protect the ump's fragile ego (which clearly had taken over as he stood there and lectured Coach Gasso).

I think the ump was in the situation that he had made the call and couldnt back down.
I've seldom seen so many balls pitched in the dirt by all pitchers.
Today's offense reminded me of the performance in last years World Series - "Come on , let's all watch their pitcher throw strikes but dont swing" This game belongs to GJ.

I don't care that it was the home plate umpire's call. IF you didn''t have a perfect view, or if there is that much controversy, wouldn't it be a good idea to gather the umpires together to see if anyone had seen anything that might help? ---like chalk dust? The failure to even request input was rather arrogant.

Juarez was awesome! Sixteen strikeouts in a no hit game is phenomenal.

“G” and Lopez are so good, it doesn’t seem fair to the rest of the field in this regional. Not that I want them to sit out a game or stop throwing strikes to give our opponents a better chance! ;)

Is this OU’s best team ever? I honestly can’t think of a better team in my recent memory.

My problem with the Ump’s bad call is that he didn’t make an effort to get in the best position to watch the ball down the line and kick up chalk when it bounced on and over the base.

I get that was the Ump’s call. But it makes no sense that a rule prevented him from asking the third base official for help. She was in a much better position to make that call than an Ump who obviously couldn’t see a cloud of chalk dust bigger than LeBron throws up in pregame.

I get that was the Ump’s call. But it makes no sense that a rule prevented him from asking the third base official for help.

So he was prevented by rule from asking for help? If so, that needs to change.

Juarez was awesome! Sixteen strikeouts in a no hit game is phenomenal.

“G” and Lopez are so good, it doesn’t seem fair to the rest of the field in this regional. Not that I want them to sit out a game or stop throwing strikes to give our opponents a better chance! ;)

Is this OU’s best team ever? I honestly can’t think of a better team in my recent memory.

If this team goes on to win the natty definitely yes. If not definitely no. It would be more obvious is the Sooners go on to extend their 41 game winning streak to 48 giving them the all time winning streak record in addition to the natty which they could do by winning out at the regional, super regional and win their first 4 at the WCWS.

Back