Softball

Yes, Florida has an advantage over the Sooners in two areas: (1) number of proven starting pitchers, and (2) overall experience (a senior-laden team that is the two-time defending CWS champion). Pretty good credentials, I'd say.

OU's strengths: (1) No team in the nation (Florida included) is more talented overall; (2) OU has possibly the best head coach and one of the best coaching staffs in the nation (the Florida, Tennessee and Michigan staffs are no slouches); (3) the Sooners may be playing the best softball going into the postseason (4) Paige Parker is, imo, the most consistent starter in softball; (5) Erin Miller is out of her mind at the plate and the rest of her team is feeding off her hot hitting; (6) statistics say (and the eye-test confirms) that the Sooners are the best fielding team in softball. Oh, and Nicole Pendley, for my money, is the best centerfielder in softball.

Am I giving these young Sooners too much credit? If I'm going overboard I'm confident you'll let me know.

Your being over confident will not get the Sooners beat only your bubble will be burst. I did take a look at the SEC conference bracket linked below and it looks good for the Sooners and their RPI/final ranking. Both Auburn the #4 seed and Alabama the #5 seed are on Florida's side of the bracket so it is doubtful the Tide stays ahead of the Sooners unless they win the tournament. Also Tennessee the #3 seed I think will beat Kentucky the #2 seed in the other side of the bracket which would help the Sooners RPI.

A Florida vs Tennessee final would be outstanding for the Sooners especially if Tennessee won the their tournament. Unfortunately it looks like the SEC schools will host 6 may be 7 regionals which would probably mean the have 4 teams in the WCWS.

http://secsports.go.com/bracket/softball?fe

Your being over confident will not get the Sooners beat only your bubble will be burst. I did take a look at the SEC conference bracket linked below and it looks good for the Sooners and their RPI/final ranking. Both Auburn the #4 seed and Alabama the #5 seed are on Florida's side of the bracket so it is doubtful the Tide stays ahead of the Sooners unless they win the tournament. Also Tennessee the #3 seed I think will beat Kentucky the #2 seed in the other side of the bracket which would help the Sooners RPI.

A Florida vs Tennessee final would be outstanding for the Sooners especially if Tennessee won the their tournament. Unfortunately it looks like the SEC schools will host 6 may be 7 regionals which would probably mean the have 4 teams in the WCWS.

LOL. I realize that my confidence or lack thereof has no bearing on whether the Sooners will win or lose. You totally missed my point, as usual, but it doesn't matter; I've grown accustomed to your flippant responses to my posts. Hope you have a good evening.

Bama got beat on Sunday and went 2-1 losing to Georgia for the week and moved ahead of the Sooners who went 4-0 for the week. Bama is #3 in the RPI but are seeded #5 in the SEC Tourney. Barring a first round loss, Bama will stay in front of OU and might even with a loss.

All I want is for OU to stay in the Top seeds and get to the World Series. In OKC, you will ultimately have to beat everyone including Florida.

LOL. I realize that my confidence or lack thereof has no bearing on whether the Sooners will win or lose. You totally missed my point, as usual, but it doesn't matter; I've grown accustomed to your flippant responses to my posts. Hope you have a good evening.

Wasn't trying to be flippant. Should have used a smiley icon to denote the intended humor. My bad!!

Bama got beat on Sunday and went 2-1 losing to Georgia for the week and moved ahead of the Sooners who went 4-0 for the week. Bama is #3 in the RPI but are seeded #5 in the SEC Tourney. Barring a first round loss, Bama will stay in front of OU and might even with a loss.

All I want is for OU to stay in the Top seeds and get to the World Series. In OKC, you will ultimately have to beat everyone including Florida.

You could be right 50% of the RPI is opponents strength of schedule which has nothing to do with winning when you play them. Obviously going 2-1 against #19 Georgia means a lot more than 3 wins against #72 Texas Tech. Playing weak Big 12 opponents is costing the Sooners down the stretch.

Bama playing to #8 Auburn in their tournament might mean more than OU playing #34 OSU twice to the RPI strength of schedule. If so the Big 12 weakness will again be hurting the Sooners. For certain we need for Bama to go 0-1 this week while we have two run rule wins against the pukes and hope our winning percentage overcomes our strength of schedule shortcoming giving us a chance to jump the Tide. I think we still have a slim shot at #3 seed.

Last edited:
Remember, RPI is not necessarily the same as the NCAA committee's rankings. The two may align completely in the end, but there could be some differences. But like one of you mentioned, the Sooners will be in good shape in they just remain in the top eight.

Remember, RPI is not necessarily the same as the NCAA committee's rankings. The two may align completely in the end, but there could be some differences. But like one of you mentioned, the Sooners will be in good shape in they just remain in the top eight.

So true! Playing the weak Big 12 strength of schedule is killing us in the RPI as we end the season but may not impact the rankings as much. And I know that the bump some of the 8 SEC teams will get from 1-4 opportunities to play a team ranked in the top 17 will exceed what OU gets from only two shots at #34 OSU. So we could drop another slot or two.

I was hopeful that winning out convincingly would allow the Sooners to maintain their ranking. However as Speedy indicated that does not appear to be the case. Winning percentage accounts for only 25% of the RPI rankings. Strength of schedule 50%, opponent's strength of schedule 25%. Who you play is obviously 3 times as important as who you beat. And how you beat them has absolutely no impact on RPI.

Attached below is a link that explains in detail the calculation of the basketball RPI. The link also states that the basic premise of the RPI formula remains true for all sports.

This link comes from frequently asked questions for men's lacrosse but the basketball example is used as is the note of the formula's application to all NCAA sports.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/FAQ_for_MLAX_RPI.pdf

Also the men's basketball formula for winning percentage was updated in 2004 to account for home, away and neutral games. I cannot be certain if this adjustment is applicable to women's basketball, baseball and softball but would assume it is. The significance of this change is a road win accounts for 1.4 wins and a home win accounts for 0.6 wins. Same for losses 0.6 for a road loss and 1.4 for a home loss. Neutral games are 1.0 for both wins and losses.

Assuming game location is a factor in softball RPI Patty has been diligent about using this factor to leverage her RPI. She will have played 23 neutral site games, 10 road games and 21 home games. Hopefully finishing 47-7 going into tournament play.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rating_Percentage_Index

Last edited:
ESPN.com/USA poll also out now. And it's interesting.

OU jumped from No. 7 to No. 4 (tied with Bama). Florida remains at #1 and Michigan at #2. The Gators got 18 of the 19 first place votes. Who received the other one, you ask? The Oklahoma Sooners.

Current statistics:

NCAA Softball site:
http://www.ncaa.com/sports/softball/d1

From here, click on "stats."
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/softball/d1

Now, go to the bottom of the page and click on "VIEW REPORT on NCAA.org."

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=WSB&division=1

Want OU's stats, click on "Oklahoma" which is ranked #1 in BA.

http://stats.ncaa.org/team/522.0/12381

Now, where is says "team statistics" at the top, click. You can get pitching, fielding, and hitting stats for each person on the team. If you then, click on their name, it yields the same information in a game-by-game status.

They update this daily for every team in the US.

You can also get stats from Big 12 site.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=1515286

Interesting stats, for the team and how OU stacks up nationally.

Not only does OU lead the nation in team batting average, the Sooners are also first in fielding percentage, which is huge, in my opinion.

Also, Erin Miller, who is leading the team with a .413 batting average, has been very close to automatic at the plate in the past couple of weeks. And almost all of her hits have been lined shots. Has any Sooner player that you can remember been this hot so close to the start of the postseason?

Kady was pretty close a couple of years ago but was injured right before playoffs but you are right, Erin is on fire right now!

ESPN.com/USA poll also out now. And it's interesting.

OU jumped from No. 7 to No. 4 (tied with Bama). Florida remains at #1 and Michigan at #2. The Gators got 18 of the 19 first place votes. Who received the other one, you ask? The Oklahoma Sooners.

Kinda looks like they are trying to get close to matching the RPI ratings. Didn't move much in rankings at all for quite a few weeks and then we jump up in RPI and now making significant jumps each week in poll. :)

Most Big 12 Pitcher of the Week Awards

Cat Osterman, 25
Keilani Ricketts, 16
Blaire Luna, 13
Chelsea Thomas, 12
Page Parker, 11

Can't wait to see how this team fares in postseason play. These kids are so young, but they are so talented as well. I expect them to give a very good accounting of themselves.

I know the Sooners will have to beat some outstanding teams just to get to the CWS. And if they make it that far, they'll be going against the best in college softball. The SEC has some great teams, and not just one or two. But I can't help but wonder how many of those highly rated teams actually look forward to going up against our Sooners in the CWS.

For certain Florida does not look forward to playing OU just as I am certain OU does not look forward to playing Forida with Tim Walton being their coach. Tim playing baseball at OU for two years and was Patty's assistant for four years. Also Jennifer Rocha, Florida pitching coach, pitched for Patty for three years and was a graduate assistant for Patty for three years. Friends prefer not to play their friends. But it is what it is.

Florida is Florida. We want to find another pitcher to go with Paige, like a Michelle. Florida has three. I thought they were seniors. They are a freshman, sophomore, and junior.

Kelly Barnhill, Fr, 14-0 (one save) 1.39 ERA IP=96.0 Hit=46 K=147 BB=51
Alicia Ocasio, Soph, 19-1 (six saves) 0.71 ERA IP=128.0 Hit=85 K=127 BB=21
Delanie Gourley, Jr, 17-3 (5 saves) 0.80 ERA IP=131.2 Hit=64 K=186 BB=84

That is the best staff in the nation, and they operate with the #2 fielding team and #25 hitting team. IP 355.2 Hits 195 3.84 Hits per Game!! 9..05 Ks per Game!!

Florida is Florida. We want to find another pitcher to go with Paige, like a Michelle. Florida has three. I thought they were seniors. They are a freshman, sophomore, and junior.

Kelly Barnhill, Fr, 14-0 (one save) 1.39 ERA IP=96.0 Hit=46 K=147 BB=51
Alicia Ocasio, Soph, 19-1 (six saves) 0.71 ERA IP=128.0 Hit=85 K=127 BB=21
Delanie Gourley, Jr, 17-3 (5 saves) 0.80 ERA IP=131.2 Hit=64 K=186 BB=84

That is the best staff in the nation, and they operate with the #2 fielding team and #25 hitting team. IP 355.2 Hits 195 3.84 Hits per Game!! 9..05 Ks per Game!!

I would hope next year with Paige being a junior, Mariah Lopez and Melanie Olmos coming in as freshmen and Jayden and Brittany being sophomores we will be very strong in the circle. I would hope of Lopez or Olmos is ready to be a major contributor as a freshman. Maybe not Paige ready as a freshman but close.

Also I am encouraged with the control improvement by Finney the last 5-6 appearances. If she can resolve that issue next year I think her stuff and speed will make her a big time starter. With 3 quality starters and Chestnut and the other freshmen in the circle we should be strong next year.

I would hope next year with Paige being a junior, Mariah Lopez and Melanie Olmos coming in as freshmen and Jayden and Brittany being sophomores we will be very strong in the circle. I would hope of Lopez or Olmos is ready to be a major contributor as a freshman. Maybe not Paige ready as a freshman but close.

Also I am encouraged with the control improvement by Finney the last 5-6 appearances. If she can resolve that issue next year I think her stuff and speed will make her a big time starter. With 3 quality starters and Chestnut and the other freshmen in the circle we should be strong next year.

Actually, I expect that Paige, Lopez, and Jayden will be starters. Gasso has said repeatedly that she wants to make Finney a closer. She wants a full pitching staff including a bullpen. Lopez was the #1 player in the country until she hurt her arm but she is back to throwing a full velocity and having a great senior HS season. She throws harder than Paige from the right side. Olmos gives them a crafty lefty like Gascoigne so everyone will provide a different look for hitters.

All that being said and the talk of Florida's great pitching staff (which it is), I like OU's chances with Paige Parker on the mound against anybody in a big game.

Last edited:
Back