Softball

Actually, I expect that Paige, Lopez, and Jayden will be starters. Gasso has said repeatedly that she wants to make Finney a closer. She wants a full pitching staff including a bullpen. Lopez was the #1 player in the country until she hurt her arm but she is back to throwing a full velocity and having a great senior HS season. She throws harder than Paige from the right side. Olmos gives them a crafty lefty like Gascoigne so everyone will provide a different look for hitters.

All that being said and the talk of Florida's great pitching staff (which it is), I like OU's chances with Paige Parker on the mound against anybody in a big game.

Was unaware that Patty saw Finney as a reliever but with her velocity I can see why. I guess I am like Syb in that I thought Jayden was a little too easy to hit but threw strikes (66.2 innings, 60 hits, 24 BB's and 6 HR's) to be a starter that gets lots of innings. While Finney didn't have the control she was much more difficult to hit (18.2 innings, 11 hits, and 0 HR's). In the games I saw Finney and Chestnut pitch in person Chestnut was hit much harder. Just one guys thoughts and we know my opinion is of minimal value.

Speedy, I am curious with both Lopez and Olmos coming in next year have you heard any rumor that Finney might be unhappy and looking to transfer? I have heard nothing but with her being as top rated as she was coming out of high school and being the last option on the staff this year I have concerns. She has only got 11 appearances to date. I though it was possible she might be a little dissatisfied

Last edited:
Everyone agrees that Florida has a very good – and deep – pitching staff. And like another poster, I was thinking at least one of the three starters, (possibly two) was a senior.

But with all the super low ERAs the pitchers in the SEC are posting, I'm wondering if that could be an indication that the hitters in that league are not as "world class" as is generally believed. I'm not saying the SEC doesn't have quality pitchers, but I do wonder if they would post such gaudy numbers if they had to face teams like OU day in and day out.

Everyone agrees that Florida has a very good – and deep – pitching staff. And like another poster, I was thinking at least one of the three starters, (possibly two) was a senior.

But with all the super low ERAs the pitchers in the SEC are posting, I'm wondering if that could be an indication that the hitters in that league are not as "world class" as is generally believed. I'm not saying the SEC doesn't have quality pitchers, but I do wonder if they would post such gaudy numbers if they had to face teams like OU day in and day out.

That raises another question... would our numbers be this gaudy if we had to face teams like Florida day in and day out?

Maybe you should ask Bamer and Tenn! Neither scored against the Sooners! :ez-roll::ez-roll::ez-roll:

That raises another question... would our numbers be this gaudy if we had to face teams like Florida day in and day out?

Just so happens that OU's schedule is rated in the Top in the country. So just maybe that answer is absolutely. :woot

Was unaware that Patty saw Finney as a reliever but with her velocity I can see why. I guess I am like Syb in that I thought Jayden was a little too easy to hit but threw strikes (66.2 innings, 60 hits, 24 BB's and 6 HR's) to be a starter that gets lots of innings. While Finney didn't have the control she was much more difficult to hit (18.2 innings, 11 hits, and 0 HR's). In the games I saw Finney and Chestnut pitch in person Chestnut was hit much harder. Just one guys thoughts and we know my opinion is of minimal value.

Speedy, I am curious with both Lopez and Olmos coming in next year have you heard any rumor that Finney might be unhappy and looking to transfer? I have heard nothing but with her being as top rated as she was coming out of high school and being the last option on the staff this year I have concerns. She has only got 11 appearances to date. I though it was possible she might be a little dissatisfied

I have heard nothing on Finney being unhappy. Everybody knew that Paige was #1 and that Stevens was still around so I don't think the limited play was unexpected. Lopez is the real deal and will pitch next year. It will be interesting between Chestnut and Olmos. Both Paige and Lopez are power pitchers while Olmos offers a totally different thing to look at. However, if Finney can be the reliever for almost every game then that would change things for her. The thing about softball is that I have never seen a team play it like baseball before - bringing in the closer. Besides, how do you take Paige out for a reliever. However, the stated goal of Gasso was to have a pitching staff like baseball.

OU has been the recipient of other teams changing pitchers on every trip through the order. Evidently, Florida does it. I know Tennessee did it against OU to no avail and it was planned. I just have a problem with taking out a Paige Parker when she is mowing down batters.

What purpose did it serve for the NCAA committee to release its top 10 seeds a few weeks ago if they were not planning to release an updated list each week or so?

That was the first time in history that they had released such a list while the season was in progress, and I think most of us assumed they would update the rankings each week until the regular season/conference tournaments were finished.

This makes absolutely no sense to me, but I suppose it just proves that when the NCAA is involved, one should never assume anything.

I have heard nothing on Finney being unhappy. Everybody knew that Paige was #1 and that Stevens was still around so I don't think the limited play was unexpected. Lopez is the real deal and will pitch next year. It will be interesting between Chestnut and Olmos. Both Paige and Lopez are power pitchers while Olmos offers a totally different thing to look at. However, if Finney can be the reliever for almost every game then that would change things for her. The thing about softball is that I have never seen a team play it like baseball before - bringing in the closer. Besides, how do you take Paige out for a reliever. However, the stated goal of Gasso was to have a pitching staff like baseball.

OU has been the recipient of other teams changing pitchers on every trip through the order. Evidently, Florida does it. I know Tennessee did it against OU to no avail and it was planned. I just have a problem with taking out a Paige Parker when she is mowing down batters.

I'm along the same thinking but it would be nice to save innings for Paige come tournament time. Parker has thrown 38 more innings than Florida's lead pitcher and could easily throw 50 more innings. That is almost 5.5 compete games more time in the circle than the Florida starter. It would be good if we can save those innings for the post season next year.

Patty knows what is best for her team and having a closer for the last inning or two make be a key to accomplishing something she wants to do in the circle. Sounds as though she that to be Finney's job. I do know we need a second starter that will give us 90-100 innings or more. It will be interesting to observe how things play out in the circle next year.

What purpose did it serve for the NCAA committee to release its top 10 seeds a few weeks ago if they were not planning to release an updated list each week or so?

That was the first time in history that they had released such a list while the season was in progress, and I think most of us assumed they would update the rankings each week until the regular season/conference tournaments were finished.

This makes absolutely no sense to me, but I suppose it just proves that when the NCAA is involved, one should never assume anything.

The initial rankings were released 4-30-2016. I think the final seeding will be released 5-16. So all we missed was this past weeks rankings.

Last edited:
Most Big 12 Pitcher of the Week Awards

Cat Osterman, 25
Keilani Ricketts, 16
Blaire Luna, 13
Chelsea Thomas, 12
Page Parker, 11

Looks like Paige will be able to reach second place and maybe first. Thing about these awards is who were the other pitchers in the conference at that time, plus who pitchers were pitching against.

So, Speedy, do you just see Finney as a relief pitcher? Do you believe that is the way Patty saw her when she recruited her? I believe, as I am sure most do, that any player can improve; thus, I would think Finney could be more than a relief. What do you think? If she gets more control? Some players develop slower than others and if she has to make more changes than Chestnut then next year she could come back strong. Do you see her pitching, if she were more accurate, be more lie Paige's than the other pitchers.?
I guess the thing with letting Finney close a game for Paige or Lopez, whom you said will play from the beginning, could be a rest factor, plus an experience factor for Finney. Never know when someone is going to be injured or just not had a good practice so you may need to start Finney. I love the idea of
at least three good pitchers. I mean Keilani always had Michelle to back her up. That seems to me that it would be a relief to Paige to not be counted on to pitch every game or most games, especially the tough ones. I mean you want to pitch in tough situations but it has to be a relief if you have another pitcher or two who are great or very good. Also, aren't some pitchers better against some teams based on how many left or right-handed batters there are and based on if the team bunts a lot or are really good at placing it or hitting home runs? OKAY, a little long to read or answer but generally what you think about Finney, back-up for rest, her getting experience, is it possible she has the talent to be more than a back-up?
Sorry, people, I don't have anyone to talk to about this and am just learning from people here and some reading.

One more question. I believe it was Tulsa that we didn't have a DP? Why would we do that? I mean
you want your best batters batting and your best offense on offense.

The article to which Norm provided the above link provided this tidbit (of which I wasn't aware): The Big 12 holds a 10-9 edge this season in head-to-head matchups with the SEC.

Our conference can't compete with the SEC in number of teams, rankings and RPI, but we do okay against them on the field of play.

Without knowing which Big 12 teams beat which SEC teams, where the games were played, etc, that fact really doesn't tell us much. All of this will soon work itself out when the cream rises to the top as we get closer to the CWS.

After the Tennessee game, I made the comment to another poster that Tennessee did not defend like they were accustomed to hard hit balls. Their third baseman and shortstop each had two errors. All four were on balls that our infielders would have gobbled up. But, they seemed a bit uncertain, like they weren't sure of a hard bounce. I wondered at the time if they had become such a league of slappers that they didn't have that many hard hit grounders. We hit some shots against Tennessee. Four errors did not help their cause.

Tonight, Mississippi State has committed four errors in three innings leading to three Alabama runs (4-6 after three). SC upset Missouri 7-4 on a three run shot. A&M was beaten by LSU on a walkoff grounder. Georgia was upset by Mississippi's first ever SEC tournament win.

Mississippi State scored a run in the top of the fifth to bring it back to 5-6. It was on an error on the throw by the Bama right fielder. Now, a walk, error on the third baseman, and a walk have the bases loaded for Bama. It was MSU's fifth error!! A sac bunt scores one, a walk, and a single scores another. Four of the eight Bama runs are earned. One of the runs is taken off the board. I don't know which or why. 5-7 after five.

7-5 final. Five Mississippi State errors, two Bama errors.

Last edited:
Back