Softball

I've been reading in this forum for quite some time, but don't really post. However, on the Whitney (Ellis) Montgomery talk, I thought I'd interject another point of view. It seems that there are many who feel Whitney left because her playing time was going to be reduced.

First, Whitney never impressed me as the sort that would just quit, because she might see some reduction in playing time. She always impressed me as a team first young lady. Secondly, I'm not sure that Wodach's offensive growth would have affected Whitney all that much.

Certainly Coach Gasso would have maneuvered the lineup to get Wodach in nearly every game, based on her early season performances. But if you look at the stats, Whitney was batting .364 at the time of her departure. And Whitney was potentially the best defensive catcher ever at OU, and the best in the country the last two years or more. If you look at the steal stats, teams have attempted to steal more than twice as much on OU this year, as last. Last year teams only attempted to steal 9 times on Whitney and she threw out 7. Wodach has substantially improved as the year has gone on, and is now throwing out about 50%, and OU is still 2nd in the country in fewest attempts, and in throwing out runners, but Wodach is not as good as Whitney. Further, Wodach has about 8 times as many passed balls as Whitney every had.

When you take the defensive prowess and the fact she was batting .364 at the time of her departure, I don't think Wodach would have cut into Whitney's playing time all that much. Rather I think had Wodach continued hitting like she did early, it would have affected Aviu most, and Self to a lesser extent. It is likely Wodach would have been DP most days, with Aviu fighting for PT with Self other than days Wodach got a spot start at catcher.

In light of the above, it is my suspicion that Whitney's departure had little to nothing to do with what was going on on the field, but rather something very personal.

Just my humble opionion.

Thanks, MGB. Your thoughts and opinions are welcome and you make some good points. I tend to agree with much of what you stated, though I admit I have no inside information.

I do know I was sorry to see Whitney go. From watching her play, she struck me as a prototypical Patty Gasso player – talented, tough, competitive, unselfish. Lea Wodach seems to possess many of those same qualities, and her play behind the plate has improved exponentially as the season progressed. I, for one, wish they were both still Sooners.

I've been reading in this forum for quite some time, but don't really post. However, on the Whitney (Ellis) Montgomery talk, I thought I'd interject another point of view. It seems that there are many who feel Whitney left because her playing time was going to be reduced.

First, Whitney never impressed me as the sort that would just quit, because she might see some reduction in playing time. She always impressed me as a team first young lady. Secondly, I'm not sure that Wodach's offensive growth would have affected Whitney all that much.

Certainly Coach Gasso would have maneuvered the lineup to get Wodach in nearly every game, based on her early season performances. But if you look at the stats, Whitney was batting .364 at the time of her departure. And Whitney was potentially the best defensive catcher ever at OU, and the best in the country the last two years or more. If you look at the steal stats, teams have attempted to steal more than twice as much on OU this year, as last. Last year teams only attempted to steal 9 times on Whitney and she threw out 7. Wodach has substantially improved as the year has gone on, and is now throwing out about 50%, and OU is still 2nd in the country in fewest attempts, and in throwing out runners, but Wodach is not as good as Whitney. Further, Wodach has about 8 times as many passed balls as Whitney every had.

When you take the defensive prowess and the fact she was batting .364 at the time of her departure, I don't think Wodach would have cut into Whitney's playing time all that much. Rather I think had Wodach continued hitting like she did early, it would have affected Aviu most, and Self to a lesser extent. It is likely Wodach would have been DP most days, with Aviu fighting for PT with Self other than days Wodach got a spot start at catcher.

In light of the above, it is my suspicion that Whitney's departure had little to nothing to do with what was going on on the field, but rather something very personal.

Just my humble opionion.

I too think it is a little strange the Whitney would leave solely because of some platooning behind the plate between her and Lea. There is no question that this season Whitney was the better defensive catcher. it was also my opinion that Lea had much more difficulty blocking pitches in the dirt. But statistically the discrepancy between the two in passed ball is not as bad as it appears although twice as many is too much.

If you look at the stats linked below and attempt to equate the stats based on games play Lea had 5 passed balls in 52 games and Whitney 1 in 23 games. If you extrapolate Whitney's numbers to 52 games played she had 2.26 passed balls.

Interestingly if you make the same extension for stolen bases allowed and caught stealing a base Lea was more effective than Whitney. Lea threw out 7 runners in 12 attempts allowing 5 stolen bases. Whitney threw out 3 runners in 6 attempts allowing 3 stolen bases.

I am inclined to think the new found pressures of being a wife and adjusting to marriage was in part being carried over to her play in the field. Of course any of those numbers for Whitney must be mitigated because of her limited play. She just did not get enough opportunities in the field or at bat to determine her level of play for a full season.

You also mentioned how Lea progressed behind the plate as the season progressed. That is to be expected of most catchers who plays for Melyssa Lombardi who coaches them. Her impact with catchers has been outstanding as she has had three All American catchers in her tenure with Ashli Barrett, Heather Scaglione and Jessica Shultz winning seven All American honors. Think about it an All American catcher in seven of her 18 years as an OU coach. Outstanding.

Also if you look at the last three seasons Whitney threw out 60% of the runners in 2014, 63% of the runners in 2015 and Lea threw out 58% of the runners in 2016. But Whitney only threw out 3 of 6 in 2016. As bad as Lea may have looked to us accustomed to Jessica and Whitney Lea was dang good statistically behind the plate. I think the quality of catching is significantly impacted by the coaching Lombardi provides

Teams attempted to steal only 18 bases against the Sooners this year while OU attempted 85 steals and we are not a running team. To give you a perspective Michigan has thrown out 3 of 32 attempts. Auburn 4 of 22 attempts, Alabama 9 of 38 attempts. Only Florida is comparable throwing out 6 of 10 and the Sooners were 10 of 18.

http://stats.ncaa.org/team/522/stats?id=12381&year_stat_category_id=10842

Because of nepotism and experience I had concerns about Patty hiring her son JT as hitting coach. Boy was I wrong!! For the year OU hit .359 as a team. The team's starting lineup was comprised of four freshmen, three sophomores and two seniors. The starting lineup for most of the season hit .413, .347, .379, ,392, .356, .336, .338, .324 and .379. The two top reserves Hatfield and Nirschl hit. .389 and .387 respectively. Only 4 hitters hit below .300 and they hit .286, .278, .273 and .250 two of these hitters had 11 or fewer AB. All backup hitters had 36 or fewer AB's.

That consistency (73.3% over .324 and 33.3% over .356) with bat in hand tells me Patty made the right choice in a hitting coach to replace Tripp MacKay despite me belief that all nepotism is bad. TJ's Actions speak louder than words. One needs to trust Patty. Hopefully that continues to apply for Patty, Bob. Lon and Sherri too.

After one and a half, OU leads in Stillwater, 5-0. BUT, with lightning in the area, they suspended the game for at least thirty minutes and put the tarp on the field.

OU scored five in the first off of:
Walks to Miller and Clifton
Double to center (gap, left center) by Knighten, scoring Miller
Home run to left by Romero off of a high inside pitch that might have been over her head. Pendley followed with a home run to left center. After that, they relieved Freeze with Needham, and OU loaded the bases, without scoring. Romero got a two-out single to center in the second. Then, the lightning began between innings. Sunny at the time.

The game has been suspended due to weather, to be resumed tomorrow, TBD. I suspect that they will simply resume at 2 PM, the time scheduled for the Saturday game.

Game has been scheduled to resume at 11 am in Norman. The other game is committed to tv so it will go as scheduled a 2 pm.

OU beats OSU 8-0 (5) in game one. Next game is in a couple of hours.

Patty got a lot of players involved in that game with DP and a PH for her and a couple of other ph. I am glad she does that. We need all our offense to get experience and be ready for NCAA tournament.

OU wins 5-2 in the second game. We have won 22 in a row now. Wow.
We'll find out our seed tomorrow night.

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/softball_d1_2016.pdf

I must admit that I never thought that this OU team would get a #3 seed until the Big Twelve season began. We were not a top fifteen team in pre-season play. It seemed like the Baylor series turned everyone on. The pitching became sensational, and the hitting became effective. Now, this team is good enough to earn a #3 seed.

We don't have the easiest bracket. Tulsa, Ole Miss, and Wichita State can beat you. I am glad that we aren't playing Louisiana-Lafayette on their field.

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/softball_d1_2016.pdf

I must admit that I never thought that this OU team would get a #3 seed until the Big Twelve season began. We were not a top fifteen team in pre-season play. It seemed like the Baylor series turned everyone on. The pitching became sensational, and the hitting became effective. Now, this team is good enough to earn a #3 seed.

We don't have the easiest bracket. Tulsa, Ole Miss, and Wichita State can beat you. I am glad that we aren't playing Louisiana-Lafayette on their field.

We must not forget that geographic location heavily factors in to regional pairing. And using the May 9 RPI ranking because they only seed 16 teams OU does have the toughest first round game playing #50 Wichita. Florida plays #253 Alabama State, Michigan plays #232 Valparaiso and Auburn plays #61 Jacksonville State.

Should everything go according to Hoyle and the favorites win OU will not be most disadvantaged as Florida's opponent would #23 Florida Atlantic or #31 UCF. Auburn would play either #25 Oregon State or #57 USC Upstate. OU second game would be against #27 Ole Miss or #41 Tulsa.

In my opinion it is Michigan that got be best draw as their second regional game will be either #29 Notre Dame or #127 Miami, Ohio. Nor does Alabama State, Valparaiso and Miami Ohio factor in as their chances for even one win is virtually nil. Wichita State and USC Upstate could win but it would be an amazing win if they did so as OU is 25-2 against teams ranked 26-100 and Auburn is 21-1.

Also having seen the earlier Wichita State game I was not impressed with the shockers. Their starting pitcher lasted one out in the first inning and their relievers gave up 9 hits in 3.2 innings. The Sooners hit two doubles, a triple and two homeruns while stealing 3 bases. Wichita State was not impressive defensively either. Paige did give up 3 hits including a HR.

Last edited:
I'm pleased that our Sooners are the No. 3 seed, and as long as they keep winning will essentially get to stay home through the entire tournament. I don't believe, however, that the committee did us any big favors considering the teams we are likely to face in the regional and super regional.

LL is, of course the only other seeded team in our region, but they're good enough to have been awarded an even higher seed. UT, AtM and Tulsa are all quality opponents, and Ole Miss – well, we all know how good they must be, with them being in the SEC and all. OU is, far and away, the best of those teams, and the Sooners should advance to the CWS. But I do believe our path to the CWS is among the toughest of the top eight seeds.

I'm also SMH a little the way the committee continues to fawn over the SEC. Of the 16 seeded teams, eight are from the SEC and three are in the top eight. I do realize, of course, that the SEC is probably the top conference in the NCAA. The SEC has more teams than just about any other conference and by virtue of that fact also probably has more teams capable of winning the CWS. But Georgia, with its 17 losses, did not, in my opinion, deserve that final (#16) seed, and I can also think of 2-3 teams more deserving of the 15-seed than Missouri. And the committee really thumbed its nose at Baylor, which not only failed to get a seed, it was sent out west to play in perhaps the toughest of all regions.

Back