Softball

I too worry about the LOB. Although it can be deceiving, as part of it is the fact that with our BA and OBP, we get so many on base. Statistically, you're going to leave 65% of those on base. But the many of the best batting teams (e.g. Michigan and Oregon) are better than us at this, and part is power.

We've hit 30 or more homeruns fewer than the top power teams, e.g. Auburn, Oregon, Michigan, ULL. Couple that with the fact that our number two pitcher is less dependable than many others, and I suspect we don't have enough to take it all the way this year. But perhaps the scrappiness will prevail.

I do think we'll find a way to make it to OKC, although U La La is will be a difficult super matchup.

I think this team can go as far as Stevens/Chestnut take them. I those two perform well behind Paige, we could do very well. If not, just making it to the WCWS could be this team's ceiling. Paige can take them a long way, but at some point, you'd have to expect we'll need one, or both of the other two to step up.

However, having said all that, the future is bright. We can reasonably expect the freshman to improve. I think Knighten and Aviu will develop into 17-20 HR hitters, possibly as early as next year. I think Romero and even Clifton can be double digit HR hitters. With young Gasso as hitting coach, we may not see 25 HR seasons, unless we have some ladies with prodigious power coming in next year and beyond. He (young Gasso) seems to favor line drive "power" and coaches them to drive the ball and stay on top of it. But I expect we will see this team get up into the 75-80 HR neighborhood, possibly next year.

On the pitching side, I think Finney and Chestnut can improve to where they're better than Stevens has been the last two years, and those "in-the-know" rave about next year's incoming pitchers. If those pitchers are as advertised, and if next years class has one or more power hitters that can hit for average also, at the college level, these ladies could quickly morph into something like the 2012/2013 teams.

Long winded, I know. But I guess I'm excited about the prospects for this team.

I think you and Spock have mentioned the key to how far the Sooners advance this year...leaving players on base, especially those in scoring position. Missing scoring opportunities can and will bite you in close games.

Oh, and don't walk batters!

I too worry about the LOB. Although it can be deceiving, as part of it is the fact that with our BA and OBP, we get so many on base. Statistically, you're going to leave 65% of those on base. But the many of the best batting teams (e.g. Michigan and Oregon) are better than us at this, and part is power.

We've hit 30 or more homeruns fewer than the top power teams, e.g. Auburn, Oregon, Michigan, ULL. Couple that with the fact that our number two pitcher is less dependable than many others, and I suspect we don't have enough to take it all the way this year. But perhaps the scrappiness will prevail.

I do think we'll find a way to make it to OKC, although U La La is will be a difficult super matchup.

I think this team can go as far as Stevens/Chestnut take them. I those two perform well behind Paige, we could do very well. If not, just making it to the WCWS could be this team's ceiling. Paige can take them a long way, but at some point, you'd have to expect we'll need one, or both of the other two to step up.

However, having said all that, the future is bright. We can reasonably expect the freshman to improve. I think Knighten and Aviu will develop into 17-20 HR hitters, possibly as early as next year. I think Romero and even Clifton can be double digit HR hitters. With young Gasso as hitting coach, we may not see 25 HR seasons, unless we have some ladies with prodigious power coming in next year and beyond. He (young Gasso) seems to favor line drive "power" and coaches them to drive the ball and stay on top of it. But I expect we will see this team get up into the 75-80 HR neighborhood, possibly next year.

On the pitching side, I think Finney and Chestnut can improve to where they're better than Stevens has been the last two years, and those "in-the-know" rave about next year's incoming pitchers. If those pitchers are as advertised, and if next years class has one or more power hitters that can hit for average also, at the college level, these ladies could quickly morph into something like the 2012/2013 teams.

Long winded, I know. But I guess I'm excited about the prospects for this team.

You seem to be right on at least on paper when you evaluate the Sooners. But while I know the odds of the Sooners winning it all are slim at best I know Patty and the team have a different perspective. Hence I try to evaluate the circumstance necessary to defy the odds and win it all. Help me understand Patty's game plan against her various opponents.

If we make it to the WCWS my first goal is win the first game and if everything works according to the seedings we will play Alabama again and this time they will probably throw their ace Littlejohn who has not thrown well her last three outings (3 starts, 13.1 inning, 6.41 era) Osorio has not been much better (15 innings 5.6 era). I like our chances.

Win that first game and it only takes one more victory to be waiting on the losers bracket winner's game to make the finals. That is doable not probable but definitely doable. Once in OKC the name of the game is to win it all. But it is also important to be proud of the team regardless where we finish as we really are a year ahead of schedule.

Big 12 awards:

Co-player of the year- Erin Miller
Pitcher of the year- Paige
Coach of the year- Patty
Defensive player of the year- Kelsey Arnold
Freshman of the year- Shay Knighten

I think you and Spock have mentioned the key to how far the Sooners advance this year...leaving players on base, especially those in scoring position. Missing scoring opportunities can and will bite you in close games.

Oh, and don't walk batters!

You're all right, of course. But OU has not had – and I don't expect they will have – a lot of close games against not-so-stellar opponents. I would include their opponents in this week's Norman regional. The Sooners should win those contests even if they leave a bunch of runners on base. They're just that much better than their opponents.

That will likely all change in the super regional, and even more so in the CWS, if the Sooners make it that far. That's when OU will be seeing teams that are almost as good, and in some cases as good as the Sooners. We probably won't be seeing a ton of runners left on base by any teams in the CWS. Those games will most likely be low scoring and will be won by the team(s) with the best pitchers and best defenses.

Those, at least in my opinion, are the games that will favor teams like OU and Florida.

You're all right, of course. But OU has not had – and I don't expect they will have – a lot of close games against not-so-stellar opponents. I would include their opponents in this week's Norman regional. The Sooners should win those contests even if they leave a bunch of runners on base. They're just that much better than their opponents.

That will likely all change in the super regional, and even more so in the CWS, if the Sooners make it that far. That's when OU will be seeing teams that are almost as good, and in some cases as good as the Sooners. We probably won't be seeing a ton of runners left on base by any teams in the CWS. Those games will most likely be low scoring and will be won by the team(s) with the best pitchers and best defenses.

Those, at least in my opinion, are the games that will favor teams like OU and Florida.

No question the seedings, playing at home and the 22 game win streak should afford us an opportunity to host a super regional next weekend. But I do not thinkwe can afford to underestimate Tulsa. They have two quality starting pitchers (1.72 and 2.31 era's) and their staff era is ever so slightly better than OU's (2.14 vs 2.15).

Also they won the American conference tournament with scores of 2-0, 4-0 and 4-0 with two games against quality opponents in UCF and USF whose starting pitchers had era's of 1.51 and 1.65. We don't want to take the golden hurricane lightly. They are on a roll.

No question the seedings, playing at home should afford us an opportunity to host a super regional next weekend. But I do not thinkwe can afford to underestimate Tulsa. They have two quality starting pitchers (1.72 and 2.31 era's) and their staff era is ever so slightly better than OU's (2.14 vs 2.15). We only beat Tulsa 4-1 in early May.

Also they won the American conference tournament with scores of 2-0, 4-0 and 4-0 with two games against quality opponents in UCF and USF whose starting pitchers had era's of 1.51 and 1.65. We don't want to take the golden hurricane lightly. They are on a roll.

No question the seedings, playing at home should afford us an opportunity to host a super regional next weekend. But I do not thinkwe can afford to underestimate Tulsa. They have two quality starting pitchers (1.72 and 2.31 era's) and their staff era is ever so slightly better than OU's (2.14 vs 2.15). We only beat Tulsa 4-1 in early May.

Tulsa played those games at home this past weekend because they hosted the American Tourney. Tulsa is good but I would bet the house that they will be playing Wichita on Saturday. Ole Miss is the tough team. Have faith in Patti and the women of OU!!!

Tulsa played those games at home this past weekend because they hosted the American Tourney. Tulsa is good but I would bet the house that they will be playing Wichita on Saturday. Ole Miss is the tough team. Have faith in Patti and the women of OU!!!

You are right I did not look at Ole Miss very closely because of their losing record in the SEC but they have an ace pitcher in Madi Osias that threw shutouts wins against Tennessee, Georgia, MSU, beat Kentucky 3-1 and lost to Florida 0-1. Also beat Georgia in the SEC tournament. Interestingly the rebs do not like to start her more than once in a 3 game conference series.

She opened as a starter twice against Missouri and Kentucky and looked good only once against Kentucky. She only started one game in the Mississippi, Florida, South Carolina, Arkansas and Georgia series. She was excellent in all those games except Florida They started her twice against Tennessee she threw a shutout in her first start and got hammered for 8 runs in 3.1 innings the second game.

The book on her appears you cannot throw her back to back games. Also does poorly throw the first and third game of a series. How they throw her will be interesting as the seldom threw her the first game of a three game series instead holding her back for the second game. However use that strategy against Tulsa and she might be throwing in the losers bracket.

Good chance OU never sees Oasis. Throw her against Tulsa and they will not throw her against OU. Hold her out for the second game and she may be throwing in the loser's bracket.

Osias is a bit of a late bloomer. She wasn't a star until late in her senior year, and a lot is based on late wins over Tennessee, Georgia, and a close game against Florida. UT, as mentioned, also blasted her. I watched the game against Georgia, the first ever win for Ole Miss in the SEC tournament, and it was about as much of Georgia losing as Ole Miss winning. Four Georgia errors helped Ole Miss score. The Ole Miss/Florida game was just a solid pitching duel, and neither team got good wood on the ball. Florida got only four hits, but Osias also gave up six walks. When Tennessee bombed her, she walked four.

If she doesn't pitch a great game, Mississippi is very mediocre. In Watson and Sill, Tulsa may have the better pitching.

Don't know if OU and Ole Miss will meet this weekend, but if they do, I'll be surprised if the Sooners don't run-rule the Rebs.

This is one of the chief reasons that I believe the ceiling is so high for this team. Not only are the Sooners uber-talented as a team, they appear to be very close as injdividuals, and each of them seems genuinely thrilled when a teammate succeeds. Any team can be beaten on a given day, but given their talent and attitude, I believe this team has an excellent chance to make it to the CWS.

This is one of the chief reasons that I believe the ceiling is so high for this team. Not only are the Sooners uber-talented as a team, they appear to be very close as injdividuals, and each of them seems genuinely thrilled when a teammate succeeds. Any team can be beaten on a given day, but given their talent and attitude, I believe this team has an excellent chance to make it to the CWS.

This the quality that Sherri recruits to and promotes over and above talent.

O-State and Northwestern are tied 1-1 after two innings in the Athens, GA regional.

This the quality that Sherri recruits to and promotes over and above talent.

While Gasso is recruiting that "quality" while signing top 10 kids every year. Sometimes 2 or 3 top 10 kids in a class.

OSU goes down to Northwestern, 2-1. Winning run scored in the top of the seventh on a high hopper in front of the plate. The OSU pitcher and catcher both went after the ball, leaving no one to cover home.

The two teams were very evenly matched; game could have gone either way.

By the way, Jacksonville State is leading Auburn, 1-0 in the first.

Texas 4-0 over A&M due to four solo home runs, two by Stephens. Is that why Elkins hits so many home runs? Is it a homer park?

So far, no real upsets in the tournament. SC Upstate 5-2 over Oregon State was probably a bit of an upset. Auburn barely avoided an upset, 2-1. I think McNeese upset Arizona State in Baton Rouge, but I have not seen it posted. I was watching online, and McNeese had a 5-2 lead in the fifth.

Back