Softball

So far, no real upsets in the tournament. SC Upstate 5-2 over Oregon State was probably a bit of an upset. Auburn barely avoided an upset, 2-1. I think McNeese upset Arizona State in Baton Rouge, but I have not seen it posted. I was watching online, and McNeese had a 5-2 lead in the fifth.

Yep, McNeese won. Whorns won 5-0 over A&M (has Aggy beaten whorns in any sport they've played since they left to SEC?).

Tulsa looks to be going down to Old Miss. Down 4-0. I don't think they can score enough to win now.

Scroggins led off the bottom of the seventh for Baylor with a home run, walk-off, as Baylor beat Long Beach State, 3-2.

Pendley did it again. How many of her home runs have been at key times to win a big game? Her grand slam in the first gave OU almost too much comfort. OU won, 7-2.

The only Big Twelve team to lose in the first round was Oklahoma State, losing to Northwestern.

The Pac Twelve had Oregon State and Arizona State lose. The SEC had Texas A&M lose. The Big Ten had Illinois and Nebraska lose.

Good to see Paige settle down. Also congrats to mens tennis. Beat Wake Forest 4-0. Quarterfinals(Elite 8) are next.

Too long of a layoff for Paige, she had control problems, but still escaped with only one run given up after walking the bases loaded.
She found her groove again in the fourth though, and has the chance to close the Rebs out with a run-rule decision with a scoreless inning...
Spoke too soon, their leadoff batter led of with a double.

Come on, Paige!

OU 2 Alabama 0
OU 3 Arkansas 1
OU 9 Tennessee 0 (run rule)
OU 9 Mississippi 1 (run rule)

OU is doing pretty well against SEC teams this year.

One bad inning by Paige. Pendley has a stroke down. Knighten can hit anyone. Every ball she hit was hit hard.

Osias doesn't do well when she has no control.

Missouri becomes the first to advance to the Super-Regional. Kentucky becomes the first seed to lose (0-3 to Utah). Tennessee seems determined to become the second (down 0-4 to Arizona). Auburn is the only other seeded team to be threatened, but they are now 2-0.

Now if Fale can get her bat going this club will beat you(so far we have anyway.).

OU 2 Alabama 0
OU 3 Arkansas 1
OU 9 Tennessee 0 (run rule)
OU 9 Mississippi 1 (run rule)

OU is doing pretty well against SEC teams this year.

One bad inning by Paige. Pendley has a stroke down. Knighten can hit anyone. Every ball she hit was hit hard.

Osias doesn't do well when she has no control.

Sacrilege!!! LOL

But you're actually giving OU too much credit. The Sooners needed the full seven innings to squeak by Tennessee.

A limited number of tickets will go on sale tomorrow at 2pm at the softball ticket office.

Will Paige have enough time to rest to pitch Sunday? Will she start and have a reliever come in if she shows signs of getting tired? Who relieves? When do the super regionals start?

3:30 game time

Under ordinary circumstances, I think we would start Kelsey. Mississippi needs to win two. They claim to have five pitchers, but they aren't five pitchers that they want facing OU. They will likely start Osaio again, and she has already thrown some innings.

But, Kelsey might present a problem. Mississippi can really only score as they did today---walks. They might be able to wait out Kelsey for walks. Paige is the only one we have who throws strikes consistently. I don't think they will be hitting anyone very hard.

Kelsey does have one advantage. She can field the position better than Paige, and fielding bunts and dribblers is important against Mississippi.

I doubt they find a way to score five, and I don't think they can shut us down to six.

Here is a link to the updated bracket:

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/softball/d1

The only top-16 seeds to lose a game so far are:

#9 .... Kentucky (Utah is 2-0 in Lexington)
#13 .. Tennessee (Arizona is 2-0 in Knoxville)

So the PAC is trying to knock out two of the SEC top-16 seeds.

The super-regionals will be next weekend. I don't think the actual game dates and times have been announced yet.

My local cable provider is not showing that either ESPN or ESPN2 will be televising women's softball at 3:30 pm this afternoon. Seems odd that the #3 seed's game will not be televised...

Back