Softball

We scored 3 in the first but we also left 3 on base.

Got always have leaving runners on base especially the bases loaded. But if you can score 50% of your runners you are doing well. Were effective in the second but looked terrible in the third with our base running and hitting with RISP. Hope La-La getting out of inning with 0 runs after we had bases loaded and no outs does not give them momentum. Paige's control is less than optimum especially lower in the zone.

Parker's best inning had the cajuns off balance swinging at her pitch. Keep building Paige!!

Paige doesn't have her best stuff, but it's defensive plays like Pendley just made that will allow us to win this game! Great play! Definitely saved a run, and who knows? might have cut off a ULL rally!

I like how the Cajuns step toward the mound with every pitch. That puts them in a very powerful hitting position.

Top of the seventh... come on girls, get a couple more insurance runs. With ULLs long ball hitters, a 3 run lead just doesn't fill me with lots of confidence, especially since Paige doesn't seem to have her best stuff... 3 more outs, Paige!

Fun game. Louisiana-Lafayette has power. We have pretty decent power, and we are better in every other facet of the game. Three really great defensive plays helped. Pendley didn't provide any offensive help tonight, but that one catch killed a possible comeback. Arnold's DP killed another.

I don't think they know what to do with small ball. They probably don't see it played all that well in the type of competition that they have, and they don't see it in practice.

At least, we are not in Florida's shoes tonight, losing to Georgia.

Paige wasnt at her best but, once again, the hitters showed up. Erin was her usual invaluable self, Pendly was a complete bust in the batter's box but stellar in the field and the Cajun's(non) defense helped a lot. Great to see C. C.'s bat come alive and Romero, too. I have a feeling that Paige will be ON tomorrow having partially gotten on a rhythm tonight.

Paige wasnt at her best but, once again, the hitters showed up. Erin was her usual invaluable self, Pendly was a complete bust in the batter's box but stellar in the field and the Cajun's(non) defense helped a lot. Great to see C. C.'s bat come alive and Romero, too. I have a feeling that Paige will be ON tomorrow having partially gotten on a rhythm tonight.

Nice to know that despite not having her "A" game that Paige could hold a great hitting team to only 6 hits with the #8 hitter getting 3 of those hits. You don't like the big flies but that is La-La's M.O.

Did like the 14 hits by seven different batters. Got to have the cajuns concerned about who to throw tomorrow night.

La-La coach Michael Lotief very complimentary of the Sooners in post game presser. Said Patty is the best coach the country and maybe they needed to lock her in her car where she could not make it to the game. Talked about the completeness of their offensive game and how their youth.

Said the cajuns can compete with the Sooners but needed to be at their best Friday and maybe they would just have to tip their hat and move on if the Sooners advance.

Patty said they were really ready to play and when they are good in all phases of the game they are really good. Said she has learned a lot this year about not over coaching this group. Made a comment about how this team is very good at answering the opponents scoring.

Talked about teams youth and pride and leaving it all on the field every game. She also talked about the mutual respect she has for Lotief. A love off the field and respect on the field. Also made comment about how Lotief slapped her on the rear when they exchanged lineups saying he can do things that are unexpected but it is all fun.

http://www.soonersports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=31000&id=5421002

Last edited:
La-La coach Michael Lotief very complimentary of the Sooners in post game presser. Said Patty is the best coach the country and maybe they needed to lock her in her car where she could not make it to the game. Talked about the completeness of their offensive game and how their youth.

Said the cajuns can compete with the Sooners but needed to be at their best Friday and maybe they would just have to tip their hat and move on if the Sooners advance.

Patty said they were really ready to play and when they are good in all phases of the game they are really good. Said she has learned a lot this year about not over coaching this group. Made a comment about how this team is very good at answering the opponents scoring.

Talked about teams youth and pride and leaving it all on the field every game. She also talked about the mutual respect she has for Lotief. A love off the field and respect on the field. Also made comment about how Lotief slapped her on the rear when they exchanged lineups saying he can do things that are unexpected but it is all fun.

http://www.soonersports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=31000&id=5421002

:ez-laugh: That's funny. I've always liked that guy and you've got to respect him for what he's built at ULL. As far slapping Patty on the rear, I'd guess most female coaching counterparts would not be offended by that. The guy's been through a lot and now PC'ness is probably one of the less important things in his life.

Nice to know that despite not having her "A" game that Paige could hold a great hitting team to only 6 hits with the #8 hitter getting 3 of those hits. You don't like the big flies but that is La-La's M.O.

Did like the 14 hits by seven different batters. Got to have the cajuns concerned about who to throw tomorrow night.

Actually Paige had her A. game yesterday. ULL leads the nation in scoring and they got 2 runs. She kept them off balance with the curve yesterday - you could see it coming and they could not hit it. It is not a surprise that Hayden and Elkins hit home runs.

Small ball and defense is where it is at in this series. By the way, there was really only two base running errors yesterday. Kady took a weird route to the plate on the sac fly attempt, however, I really think she is afraid of getting another injury so she is tentative. Lea Wodach half ran on the dropped pop up with two outs - she should have scored easily and only got to third. Erin Miller went home but she had a go on contact signal from Patti so that one was not on her.

Last edited:
We will almost certainly see Alex Stewart again today, probably in both games should we play two. Trahan hasn't been used recently since being bombed by Florida, 1-14. She also lost to Oregon, 3-6. Stewart beat Oregon twice, and she competed well against Florida. Split with Baylor. Stewart has about 202 innings. Trahan has about 60. Macey Smith actually got the start against Boston in the first game of the regionals. But, she allowed four runs and eight hits to the Terriers in the 9-5 win. She has only pitched about thirty innings.

Actually Paige had her A. game yesterday. ULL leads the nation in scoring and they got 2 runs. She kept them off balance with the curve yesterday - you could see it coming and they could not hit it. It is not a surprise that Hayden and Elkins hit home runs.

Small and defense is where it is at in this series. By the way, there was really only two base running errors yesterday. Kady took a weird route to the plate on the sac fly attempt, however, I really think she is afraid of getting another injury so she is tentative. Lea Wodach half ran on the dropped pop up with two outs - she should have scored easily and only got to third. Erin Miller went home but she had a go on contact signal from Patti so that one was not on her.

Thanks for that great post, Speedy. Our fanbase tends to see deficiencies even when none exist. Seems we focus on the negative to the point that we have difficulty seeing or enjoying the positive things that are taking place on the field. That is why I seldom post during a game, when the negativity often reaches epic proportions.

I agree that Paige pitched a masterful game against that very dangerous ULL lineup. And the girls could be forgiven a few base-running faux pas, especially since eight of those runners crossed homeplate. Would we rather the Sooners be more like their opponents? They seldom make base-running mistakes or leave runners on base, because our great pitching and defense keeps them off base most of the time.

I'll be more than happy if our Sooners play as well tonight as they played last night.

Back