Softball

OK tie game on the leadoff HR. Question for those of you who can watch the game: Does Paige have her good stuff tonight? Or is ULL just hitting well?

First, a disclaimer: Patty Gasso has forgotten more about softbaall than I ever thought about... that said, I was puzzled that she chose to pinch hit for Arnold in the top of the 7th with a runner on third and 1 out. Arnold had only gone 2 for 2 tonight, and has had a hot bat in the post-season. the PH struck out, and Erin Miller grounded out to strand Wodach, who'd tripled earlier. Oh well, bottom of the 7th coming up with a leadoff walk and a 7-3 lead. Go Sooners!

WHEW! After the 3 run homer to pull within one, the subsequent walk to the next batter, I was getting antsy again. But Paige got Sanders to pop up, and punched our ticket up the road to OKC...

I didnt have an easy moment all game. Paige wasnt sharp last night and was even less so tonight. We again left batters on base but had just enough clutch hitting to win. Our defense was stellar and theirs was once again poor - they helped us and we needed it. Time for some alka seltzer and a long nap. Paige wasnt at ther best last night and was even less so tonight but the Cajuns were not an easy team to pitch to.

Last edited:
There are times when you are really glad that the game is over. I'm glad that we will see no more of Louisiana-Lafayette this year.

I thought Paige was not as sharp with her control. The outpitches were too far from the plate and accomplished nothing. She wasn't quite as sharp. But, a lot of that is not wanting to groove anything for a team that can hit. It looked bad in the seventh. But, she had the raw grit to make it work, and this game was won on grit.

Last night, Aviu got the rbis that set us up. Tonight, Romero and Knighten got the key hits. Wodach's triple was key.

I think she pinch hit for Arnold trying to get the ball deep to the outfield. They would be playing to cut the run off at the plate with Arnold slap-hitting. Well, this is preparation for the way I think the World Series will be this year. A bunch of teams that can play will challenge each other.

Kelsey Arnold and Nicole Pendly were tremendous on defense, especially Arnold, plus she went two for two at bat.

So I am guessing we will be playing our first game in the second session. Is there a system in place so that we can determine that before being told?

Finally, has anyone gone the last two or three years? I am wondering if there
will be different corporations there outside the stadium providing activities and giving away products. One of the last couple of series I attended, these booths and activities were there. Am just thinking about taking a youngster and know he would enjoy that.

First, a disclaimer: Patty Gasso has forgotten more about softbaall than I ever thought about... that said, I was puzzled that she chose to pinch hit for Arnold in the top of the 7th with a runner on third and 1 out. Arnold had only gone 2 for 2 tonight, and has had a hot bat in the post-season. the PH struck out, and Erin Miller grounded out to strand Wodach, who'd tripled earlier. Oh well, bottom of the 7th coming up with a leadoff walk and a 7-3 lead. Go Sooners!

Patty has frequently pinch hit for Arnold with runners in scoring position because with Kelsey being a slap hitter that really does not drive the ball and frequently she does not hit the ball out of the infield. It is difficult to score from third on a batted ball that does not get out of the outfield.

Also Macey Hatfield has been effective as a pinch hitter all year and is hitting .359, has more RBI's (11) in 39 AB's than Kelsey has (8) in 138 AB's going in to tonight's game. Macey also has 2 HR's.

ULL's offense is formidable. If they played defense as well as OU, they would be really scary.

Their defense came apart at times. But, they also took us out of what might have been a good inning by catching line drives at first and second. The hardest hit balls that Pendley, Knighten, and Miller hit tonight were caught before they finished their swings by the first or second baseman. Knighten lined a shot with runners on first and third and two outs, only to have it caught. Then, she hits a mediocre grounder that gets up the middle, and it plates two. That's hitting. Miller lined a shot just prior to that that should have been into the corner, perhaps with a run scoring, only to have it caught.

Washington 1
Alabama 2
8 innings

Georgia and OU are in the CWS. Half of the teams haven't played yet.

Landry, Elkins, Vincent, and Carbello are gone. At least, if we have to play them next year, they have lost four powerful hitters.

For all the mistakes the Cajuns made, they just don't walk people.

Thanks for the comments explaining Patty's strategy pinch hitting Hatfield for Arnold. Makes sense.

We had 9 LOB for the game. I hope that we can plate a few more of those runners in the WCWS, the competition is only gonna get tougher.

Great win, and an impressive one, when you think about it. ULL is definitely better than a 14 seed, IMO. Even though we won 2-0, we very well could've lost this one tonight had ULL not been so generous with their errors. 7 runs for OU tonight, one of them unearned. The difference in the game.

Finally, has anyone gone the last two or three years? I am wondering if there
will be different corporations there outside the stadium providing activities and giving away products. One of the last couple of series I attended, these booths and activities were there. Am just thinking about taking a youngster and know he would enjoy that.

Yes, They always have a fan experience geared towards kids. They will enjoy it.

Can I ask a dumb question? Thinking about going to OKC next Thursday and watch a session. If OU does make it will they place them in the second session? Of course, I am asking what they normally do or past practices and understand that we may not know.

I think the sessions start out in order.....seed 1,2,3,4 so OU WOULD BE in the second session. Kind of what I am counting on so I can decide now if i can afford tickets for the first day. It's weird but the first session tickets lowest price is lower than that of the second session's lowest price. Well, from what I saw. I could have missed something.

Yes, They always have a fan experience geared towards kids. They will enjoy it.

Thanks. I saw the first really big one, well think it was, it was back when I
went more often. Thought I had been since and it wasn't there. You are right, he will enjoy it.

Boomer Sooner! Sooner Magic was alive and well at Marita Hynes tonight. 4 muffed balls by LaLa allowed 4 infield singles by OU. Great game. After waiting out the rain delay the game was shifted over to ESPinU and I don't get ESPNU so I had to go the sports bar. When the game was over I was the only one there. I wonder if they would have stayed open to let me watch the 2nd game, if necessary? I wonder if they would have played it tonight? On to OKC!
"Live on, University!"

Back