Softball

There are times when you are really glad that the game is over. I'm glad that we will see no more of Louisiana-Lafayette this year.

I thought Paige was not as sharp with her control. The outpitches were too far from the plate and accomplished nothing. She wasn't quite as sharp. But, a lot of that is not wanting to groove anything for a team that can hit. It looked bad in the seventh. But, she had the raw grit to make it work, and this game was won on grit.

Last night, Aviu got the rbis that set us up. Tonight, Romero and Knighten got the key hits. Wodach's triple was key.

I think she pinch hit for Arnold trying to get the ball deep to the outfield. They would be playing to cut the run off at the plate with Arnold slap-hitting. Well, this is preparation for the way I think the World Series will be this year. A bunch of teams that can play will challenge each other.

No question Paige was often an inch too wide to their right handed hitters but La-La also made adjustments for Friday's game. They mostly laid off of Paige's rise ball she used for a strikeout pitch Thursday and they were going with the outside pitch instead of trying to pull it.

I thought it interesting how their batting style was the same for most their hitters. Slightly open stance with feet relatively close together toward the back of the box and swing up on the ball. Obviously Lotief teaches them to all hit using his principals of swinging for the fences.

OU conversely primarily hits from a spread straight away stance and swinging down on the ball to hit it on the ground or hit line drives. You can definitely she the influence of the coaches on their teams respective hitting style.

Their defense came apart at times. But, they also took us out of what might have been a good inning by catching line drives at first and second. The hardest hit balls that Pendley, Knighten, and Miller hit tonight were caught before they finished their swings by the first or second baseman. Knighten lined a shot with runners on first and third and two outs, only to have it caught. Then, she hits a mediocre grounder that gets up the middle, and it plates two. That's hitting. Miller lined a shot just prior to that that should have been into the corner, perhaps with a run scoring, only to have it caught.

No question their defense contributed to the win as they had 4 errors Friday plus 1 error Thursday night. However for the season they cajuns were ranked #27 in fielding with a .971. Could it have been the pressure of playing in the super regional and OU getting out to a fast start that lead to their fielding demise? Getting out to a fast start is always an emphasis of Patty's. That one unearned run we scored tonight was the difference in the game.

How do the people who score the game decide is something is an error or not? I heard them say during last night's game that ULL had one error on Thursday night but it seemed that there were more than that.

How do the people who score the game decide is something is an error or not? I heard them say during last night's game that ULL had one error on Thursday night but it seemed that there were more than that.

I think it comes down to being subjective, like anything else. There are guidelines but when it comes down to close call, they have to make a decision.

The official NCAA softball rulebook defines an error as:

SECTION 21—ERROR
14.21.1 An error is charged against any fielder for each misplay
(i.e., fielding, wild throws, missed catches on good throws)
that prolongs the life of a batter (causes one or more pitches to
be thrown) or a runner or permits a runner to advance. This includes
a dropped foul ball (unless it was allowed to drop intentionally
to prevent a runner from advancing), whether or not
the batter subsequently is put out.
14.21.2 A single error is charged for each miscue even if more
than one base is gained by a runner or more than one runner
advances as a result of the play.
Note: An error is charged when a wild throw allows a runner to
be safe only if the runner would have been put out had the throw
not been wild. Exception: See Rule 14.22.13.
14.21.3 An error shall be charged against any fielder when
she catches a thrown ball or fields a ground ball in time to put
out any runner on a force play and fails to tag the base or the
runner, including a batter-runner on a play at first base.
14.21.4 An error shall be charged against any fielder whose
throw takes an unnatural bounce, touches a base or the pitcher’s
plate, or touches a runner, a fielder or an umpire, thereby
permitting any runner to advance. Apply this rule even when
it appears to be an injustice to a fielder whose throw was accurate.
The official scorer must account for every base advanced
by a runner.
14.21.5 When a throw is made to a base and more than one
fielder could have received the throw but neither did, an error is
charged to the fielder who should have received the throw.
14.21.6 An error is charged to a fielder (including the catcher)
committing obstruction when an additional base is gained as a
result of the obstruction.
14.21.7 An error is charged to a defensive player who collides
with a fielder making the initial catch on a fly ball that is
dropped.
14.21.8 An error is charged when an unnecessary throw allows
a runner to advance.
Note: This does not include a throw made to play on a different
runner.
14.21.9 An error is charged to the thrower when an otherwise
good throw hits a runner, umpire or discarded bat.
14.21.10 An error is charged to a fielder if a catch and carry
appllies (see Rule 9.3) but the fielder could have legally caught
the ball with ordinary effortand remained in live-ball territory

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Softball/softball easy print stats manual.pdf

The official NCAA softball rulebook defines an error as:

SECTION 21—ERROR
14.21.1 An error is charged against any fielder for each misplay
(i.e., fielding, wild throws, missed catches on good throws)
that prolongs the life of a batter (causes one or more pitches to
be thrown) or a runner or permits a runner to advance. This includes
a dropped foul ball (unless it was allowed to drop intentionally
to prevent a runner from advancing), whether or not
the batter subsequently is put out.
14.21.2 A single error is charged for each miscue even if more
than one base is gained by a runner or more than one runner
advances as a result of the play.
Note: An error is charged when a wild throw allows a runner to
be safe only if the runner would have been put out had the throw
not been wild. Exception: See Rule 14.22.13.
14.21.3 An error shall be charged against any fielder when
she catches a thrown ball or fields a ground ball in time to put
out any runner on a force play and fails to tag the base or the
runner, including a batter-runner on a play at first base.
14.21.4 An error shall be charged against any fielder whose
throw takes an unnatural bounce, touches a base or the pitcher’s
plate, or touches a runner, a fielder or an umpire, thereby
permitting any runner to advance. Apply this rule even when
it appears to be an injustice to a fielder whose throw was accurate.
The official scorer must account for every base advanced
by a runner.
14.21.5 When a throw is made to a base and more than one
fielder could have received the throw but neither did, an error is
charged to the fielder who should have received the throw.
14.21.6 An error is charged to a fielder (including the catcher)
committing obstruction when an additional base is gained as a
result of the obstruction.
14.21.7 An error is charged to a defensive player who collides
with a fielder making the initial catch on a fly ball that is
dropped.
14.21.8 An error is charged when an unnecessary throw allows
a runner to advance.
Note: This does not include a throw made to play on a different
runner.
14.21.9 An error is charged to the thrower when an otherwise
good throw hits a runner, umpire or discarded bat.
14.21.10 An error is charged to a fielder if a catch and carry
appllies (see Rule 9.3) but the fielder could have legally caught
the ball with ordinary effortand remained in live-ball territory

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Softball/softball easy print stats manual.pdf

I think it comes down to being subjective, like anything else. There are guidelines but when it comes down to close call, they have to make a decision.

In theory the only thing subjective to the scorer is whether a defenders' misplay allowed a runner to advance or a batter's life to be prolonged. For example the scorer can rule that a runner would have advanced even if the defender had not had a misplay and therefore not award an error for the said misplay.

Looking at the TV guide this morning, it appears that women's softball will be televised by either ESPN / ESPN2 from 2 pm clear through 8:30 pm tonight. Had OU been in the block of super regional teams playing on Friday/Saturday instead of Thursday/Friday, it is likely that both of OU's games would have been on ESPN/ESPN2, instead of getting shunted over to ESPNU, which I (and a number of others) do not receive! Gr-r-r!
Because of this, I wasn't able to watch last night's game, which by all accounts, was a very fun game to watch. :mad:

I believe, however, that all of the WCWS games will be televised on one of the two major channels.

Well, we all can now catch our collective breaths. That series went much as I suspected it could.

ULL was certainly an under-seeded team. They dropped that low partially because they lost a few games when Elkins was out, and partially (reading the committee's mind) because of the love for SEC vs. their conference competition). Fully healthy, you could make a valid case for ULL to have been seeded 8 or 9.

Paige wasn't absolutely her sharpest, but she wasn't that far off. ULL is just that good of a team. Two of the HR's Paige allowed were clear mistakes, pitches that were "fat". But the other two, the Elkins HR, and the Cordabella HR were mistakes, only relative to scouting or count. The Elkins HR was at the very top of the strike zone, and one few hitters could hit out. It was a mistake, in that ULL likes high pitches, and has several hitters that are capable of staying on top to hit them out. Likewise, the Cordabella HR was at the very bottom, outside of the zone. Cordabella just went down and hammered it. But bottom line, Paige was good enough and tough enough to get it done.

On our side, offensively, we were very good. We batted .394, with 4 doubles, a triple, 4 walks and 3 HR's. LOB wasn't great, but not horrible. Base-running was spotty, as about the only draw back. The defense was stellar.

Going forward, this can be a good building block. Oregon, Michigan and Auburn are similar offensively to ULL. But Oregon and Michigan have better pitching. Auburn, maybe.

If Paige can continue to be strong, the defense sharp and we can clean up the baserunning and LOB, we could do well. Won't be easy. Never is, when you get to this point. No one possibly in our side of the bracket we can't beat, but Michigan would certainly be tough, and Alabama or LSU tough as well.

It will be fun. This team has a chance, and certainly the future is bright.

LSU makes the series with 2-0, 3-2 wins over James Madison.

Most questionable calls involve a determination of whether something is a hit or an error. It becomes the official scorekeepers opinion of whether a ball should have been fielded or not.

I don't know who has the authority to designate an official scorer as being qualified. But, the official scorer is designated prior to the game.

In baseball, the official scorers used to include newspaper reporters. Now, there are specific scorers for each team who receive $150 per game. When everyone is being paid in six and seven figures, that seems a bit low. Often, they are local coaches supplementing income.

A scorer has 24 hours to make the record official and can change his/her mind any number of times during that time frame. There is an appeal process if a player or club wishes to challenge the official determination.

Usually, if nobody touches a ball, it will be ruled a hit, even if it is hit straight up and lands on the pitchers mound with four players watching it drop. An official scorer can credit it as an error, but you rarely see it done. Similarly, if a ground ball gets past an infielder, it is usually regarded as a hit, unless it goes between his/her legs, or it is touched with a glove. A lot of misplays end up being credited as hits. Scorer's opinion.

If we play Friday that should give Paige plenty of rest and I think she needs it. I dont think she was even close to her best the last game against LaLa. Balls in the dirt, balls way high and few close enough to temp a hitter to swing at a bad ball. It's better to get them to hit (other than home runs) and let this absolutely great defense make plays than to walk them. Her best game this year was the last half of the Miss. St . game.

If we play Friday that should give Paige plenty of rest and I think she needs it. I dont think she was even close to her best the last game against LaLa. Balls in the dirt, balls way high and few close enough to temp a hitter to swing at a bad ball. It's better to get them to hit (other than home runs) and let this absolutely great defense make plays than to walk them. Her best game this year was the last half of the Miss. St . game.

We will start on Thursday.

Well, LSU is in. I really wanted James Madison instead. As for remaining teams, I am not really vested. I kind of want Arizona to make it, but then again, has Aubern been to the WCWS, and if so, recently and many times.
I like it when teams which haven't been big in a sport do well.

I know it will be really tough if we make it to the final and play Michigan but
still think I want them to make it to WCWS. I mean they are a great team and deserve it. Oh, also rooting for Oregon.

Anyone else excited or disappointed so far in the other teams and how they have done?

We will start on Thursday.

Yes and from looking at past brackets, it would appear we will probably play in the second session. Would really love to have the money to go to that first game. I don't care if it's in the outfield bleachers or standing room only. Still, I will be watching on tv with friends and that is fun too, so not complaining.

EDIT: Also, Paige will have 5 days off before the first game. I am thinking that will be enough for that game,
but am worried about making the finals and her not having any time off. I am taking it that our first game will be against Alabama. Will Kelsey start to see what she can do and try to save Paige? Ideas?

Last edited:
I just bought session two tickets. 8 of em. I'm hoping we are in that session. However, session 1 tickets are cheap and I'm thinking of buying them also for insurance. Is there any way I could sell the session 1 tickets if the Sooners are in fact in session 2?

Here are the seeds of the teams who have advanced and the ones still playing.

Michigan is 2
We are 3
Auburn is 4
Oregon is 5
Alabama is 6
FSU is 8
LSU is 10

UCLA is 12
Missouri is 15
Georgia is 16
Arizona is unseeded

Do they reseed after the Super Regionals?

Here are the seeds of the teams who have advanced and the ones still playing.

Michigan is 2
We are 3
Auburn is 4
Oregon is 5
Alabama is 6
FSU is 8
LSU is 10

UCLA is 12
Missouri is 15
Georgia is 16
Arizona is unseeded

Do they reseed after the Super Regionals?

I had the same question running through my mind, MPS. Then I looked at this bracket (as well as seeing that ESPN has us matched up with BAMA). and I believe that the original seeding of the regionals, super regionals, etc. will hold true throughout the postseason.
Although I am not 100% sure of what I just posted...;)

They do not reseed the tournament. You never know when we will play until they announce the schedule. In 2013, OU play South Florida at 1:00 pm. In 2014, OU played Bama at 7 pm.

If you want to purchase tickets, you can do so on Prime Sports. They can only be sold as Flash Tickets on Prime Sports. Those are two totally different sites but they are electronic tickets. Flash has an application for your phone that gives you a code and tickets are assigned.

https://www.primesport.com

https://www.primesport.com/d/ncaa-womens-college-world-series

https://www.flashseats.com/?ss=0&fss=1078368133

Back