Softball

One: but, the games are at exactly the same time, except for Sunday which has one at 12:00 and the other at 1:00.

OU Welcomes Arkansas on Bark in the Park Night
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211547396

NORMAN - Winners of eight straight, No. 11/9 Oklahoma (31-7, 3-0 Big 12) steps out of conference play to host No. 25/RV Arkansas (22-12, 2-10 SEC) Wednesday night.

The game will be carried live on Fox College Sports Pacific and will air on Fox Sports Oklahoma later Wednesday night at 10 p.m. It can also be heard on KEBC 1560 in Norman or online via the link the above.

Promotions: Wednesday is the third annual Bark in the Park night. The first 50 dogs will receive a dog bandana and reflective dog tag. Full details can be found at SoonerSports.com/BarkinthePark.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&&ATCLID=209987392&DB_OEM_ID=31000

Hot dogs are also just $1 Wednesday, while supplies last.

OU beat Arkansas 4-2 behind Lopez. Today, they beat Texas 3-2 behind Paige Parker. Shay drove in runs two and three with a home run and a single.

OU up on Texas 3-0 bottom of the 5th. Dalton started at catcher again but after OU scored 2 in the top of the 5th Patty put Sparks in for defensive reasons. Texas scored one on two hits. Lowary relieved Lopez and got the side out.

OU wins 3-1 on 2 hitter between Lopez and Lowary.

Last edited:
It is good that we have had Caleigh, Fale, and Shay. Six RBIs thus far: Fale 2, Shay 4. Seventeen hits: Caleigh, Fale, and Shay with ten.

#2 Oregon has lost two straight at UCLA, 2-0 and 1-0 (9).
#3 Auburn lost 10-4 to Ole Miss.
#4 Washington lost 2-1 to Oregon State.
#12 Alabama 3 #10 LSU 0
#10 LSU 1 #12 Alabama 0
#14 Cal has lost twice to Utah, 6-7 and 2-11 (5).
#15 James Madison lost to Virginia, 4-5

A bit of a chance for #16 Oklahoma to move up. Must beat Texas one more time.

#2 Oregon has lost two straight at UCLA, 2-0 and 1-0 (9).
#3 Auburn lost 10-4 to Ole Miss.
#4 Washington lost 2-1 to Oregon State.
#12 Alabama 3 #10 LSU 0
#10 LSU 1 #12 Alabama 0
#14 Cal has lost twice to Utah, 6-7 and 2-11 (5).
#15 James Madison lost to Virginia, 4-5

A bit of a chance for #16 Oklahoma to move up. Must beat Texas one more time.

Oregon's losses to UCLA might actually hurt the Sooners as UCLA was ranked 12th and OU 9th in the ESPN poll and UCLA was ranked 9th and OU 11th in the coaches poll. No good wins available for the Sooners like UCLA's wins.

Oregon was undefeated and ranked #1 and #2 in the polls and can afford the losses and stay in the top 8.

OU up 5-0 after 2 in 3rd game against whorns. Lowary started as the pitcher and Dalton at catcher. Sooners score 1 in top of 3rd. 6-0 Sooners.

Top of 7th OU up 6-0. Only 1 of Sooners 6 runs earned. Parker relieved Lowary in the 6th. OU wins 6-0. Dalton catches her first complete game.

Last edited:
Oregon's losses to UCLA might actually hurt the Sooners as UCLA was ranked 12th and OU 9th in the ESPN poll and UCLA was ranked 9th and OU 11th in the coaches poll. No good wins available for the Sooners like UCLA's wins.

Oregon was undefeated and ranked #1 and #2 in the polls and can afford the losses and stay in the top 8.

The selection committee seems to ignore polls and go with rpi. UCLA was #8. Oregon was #2. But, I think Oregon has a few more pitfalls coming. They have played the weakest schedule of any top twenty team other than James Madison. I suspect that Washington and Arizona will also present problems.

I don't know how Texas got that high, but they were #24 in the rpi. We were 16. It shouldn't hurt to go into the #24 home field and sweep. Baylor is #9 and our best chance to move up. We need help from others.

The selection committee seems to ignore polls and go with rpi. UCLA was #8. Oregon was #2. But, I think Oregon has a few more pitfalls coming. They have played the weakest schedule of any top twenty team other than James Madison. I suspect that Washington and Arizona will also present problems.

I don't know how Texas got that high, but they were #24 in the rpi. We were 16. It shouldn't hurt to go into the #24 home field and sweep. Baylor is #9 and our best chance to move up. We need help from others.

No question that rpi seems to be a much bigger factor than the polls when determining tournament seedings. The rpi unfortunately has a heavy emphsis on strength of schedule and OU has only 3 games against #9 (rpi) Baylor left on the regular schedule. There are 9 Pac 12 and SEC teams ahead of OU in the rpi each with 9-12 games against ranked teams. Auburn and LSU have 6.

On paper we have a great chance to jump Baylor, Cal, Alabama, LSU and Tennessee as all have an good chance of finishing the regular season with 10+ losses. We should jump J. Madison in the rpi this week after sweeping Texas.

Still need two top 8 teams to falter. UCLA and Washington probably afford the best opportunity based on remaining schedule. Not likely we can host a super-regional but still possible.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/ncaa-womens-softball-rpi

Shay had a two-run single to open it up to 3-1. It was the twelfth straight game in which Shay has had an RBI.

The only person who scored for Kansas struck out swinging and reached on a passed ball when Wodach, replacing Dalton for defensive purposes, let the ball get past her. It always happens. You play the odds, and they get you.

Dalton continues to warrant starting at catcher with her .333 BA. (24/72). But great to see Wodach (.159) get back on the field after her wrist injury as she is far and away the best defensive catcher we have despite her passed ball yesterday.

Dalton continues to warrant starting at catcher with her .333 BA. (24/72). But great to see Wodach (.159) get back on the field after her wrist injury as she is far and away the best defensive catcher we have despite her passed ball yesterday.

Yes, that passed ball was an aberration. And Lea most likely would have thrown that runner out at second if healthy.

When Wodach is fully recovered from her injury, I believe Patty will find a way to get both Lea and Dalton in the lineup.

What I see happening is Dalton starting at catcher until the Sooners get up by say 4 runs after 4 innings. That is the point where Patty put Sparks in as a defensive replacement for Dalton twice recently. And she put Wodach in for Dalton after OU went up 4-0 in the top of the sixth yesterday.

Patty would definitely rather have Wodach the Sparks defensively so I expect that to continue to happen.

The batting order today is a bit of a surprise:

C Dalton
2B Clifton
1B Knighten
3B Romero
DP Aviu
RF Mendes
CF Pendley
SS Arnold
LF Hatfield

SP Lopez

3-0 Sooners in top of 1st OU scores 3 on Aviu 2 run HR. Kansas ties the game 3-3 in bottom of 2nd on 4 hits and a walk against Lopez. Lopez has control problems for her second consecutive game. Parker relieves Lopez.

Sooners score 1 in top of 3rd to lead 4-3. Parker gives up a HR to lead off hitter to tie game 4-4. 4-4 after 3.

Dalton hit 3 run HR. Sooners up 8-4 top of the 4th. Knighten hits 2 run HR and Romero follows with a HR. Sooners up 11-4. Kyle Lundberg hits grand slam OU up 15-4. 11 runs in the 4th on 9 hits including 4 HR's.

Parker gives up a double, walk, and HR to the same batter that hit the first HR off of her today. 15-8.

Clifton hits HR to open the 5th, 6th HR of the day. 16-7 bottom of the 5th.

Lowary pitches the 5th set them down in order. 16-7 final.

Last edited:
Neither Lopez nor Parker seemed to have control today. Unusual. They kept falling behind.

Shay has now driven in a run in 13 straight games.

Wonder what the OU record for home runs in an inning is?

OU 6 Kansas 3 behind Lowary. I don't think anyone hit the ball to the outfield for either team until the fourth or fifth. I think Pendley had the first hit to the outfield in the sixth, a triple to right, followed by a single to center by Mendes. Clifton and Knighten had back-to-back doubles in the seventh. But, not a lot of fly ball outs.

Back