Some assorted postgame quotes from Capel

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not very much out there today in terms of articles to post as the Oklahoman, Tulsa World and Norman Transcript apparently didn't send any reporters to Alaska. Here is all I could find so far.

On the loss:

“We’re not very good right now to be completely honest,” he said after the Sooners lost their second in a row to fall to 2-2. “Our approach to games, especially on the defensive end, is not where it needs to be. We have a lot of improving to do...

“I didn’t like the way we came out to play, just the look we had on our face, the lack of energy. You could tell it was a big deal to San Diego. For the life of me, I can’t understand why it wasn’t a big deal to us, why we didn’t approach it that way.”

"We have not been able to get stops in the games we've played," Capel said. "It's our fourth game, and we've yet to defend at the level we need to defend at."

On Tiny Gallon getting benched early in the second half:

“It was an incident that happened on the bench,” Capel explained. “Tiny has to understand there are ways he has to perform and behave himself all of the time. There’s not one guy bigger than our program. If you don’t behave that way, you don’t earn or deserve the right to play.”

On San Diego's Brian Johnson scoring 18 first-half points:

"He's a terrific player, capable of having a huge night," Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel said. "That was a tremendous first half by Johnson. San Diego was terrific. They came out ready to play, with a lot of energy and took the game right to us."

Tiny needs to buy in to Capel and realize he can't accomplish his goals without him.

He's not the only one. TMG, WW, Crocker, etc need to some being so selfish, pass the ball and play some damn defense.

The last two games have been two of the most disgusting in the Capel era. The only other game that I can remember us showing as little effort is the game as Missouri during Capel's first year when we gave up.

During the two years with the Griffin's I never saw us play this way.

I remember being run off the boards when I posted Capel quotes last week.

But, he is right... the team just stinks right now.

Last edited:
I remember being run off the boards and also being forced to apologize when I posted Capel quotes last week.

But, he is right... the team just stinks right now.

Correction! No one ran you off the board or "forced" you to apologize. Stick to the facts.

Reminds me of the villanova loss during Capel's first season. The team just didn't care and it's a bad sign when Capel is questioning why the team doesn't play harder. Capel said this a couple times last season, but I don't understand how anyone that is competitive would need their Coach to motivate them to play with more intensity especially after the loss at VCU.

u could tell the team didn't care, nobody dove for loose balls and just got beat too every ball and some of those charges were horrible calls but we need to learn to fight through screens but these teams are shooting lights out vcu and san diego! i predict a win tonight

During one of the timeouts Gallon was walking around outside of the huddle and not paying attenting to Capel. He never played after.

During one of the timeouts Gallon was walking around outside of the huddle and not paying attenting to Capel. He never played after.

Bingo. He didn't like a foul that was called on him before the media timeout. You could see he and Coach Goodman in a heated discussion while everyone else was huddled up.

Sounds like he's acting like a prima donna. Let's hope he grows up quickly. This team needs him to play to his abilities. Nothing more. Just play to your ability.

Not very much out there today in terms of articles to post as the Oklahoman, Tulsa World and Norman Transcript apparently didn't send any reporters to Alaska. Here is all I could find so far.

On the loss:

On Tiny Gallon getting benched early in the second half:

On San Diego's Brian Johnson scoring 18 first-half points:

I don't understand the lack of effort. Why go through all the practices and conditioning if you don't care and don't mind losing. I do everything in my power not to lose no matter if it is basketball or tic-tac-toe. I am one of those guys that people tell me "it's only a game." Well no $h1t sherlock, the object of games are to win!

Last edited:
Back