Summer preview! >>> Soonersports.com

thebigabd

Reaction score
Men's Basketball Summer Preview
Crocker and Warren lead loaded backcourt; OU battles loss of Griffin brothers inside.

Aug. 10, 2009

NORMAN, Okla. - Oklahoma head coach Jeff Capel is fully aware his 2009-10 team will have to overcome major losses from last year's 30-6 squad that reached the NCAA Tournament's Elite Eight and was ranked as high as No. 2 in the country for three weeks in February.

First, there's the glaring departure of forward Blake Griffin and his 22.7 points and 14.4 rebounds a game. The consensus national player of the year and eventual No. 1 overall NBA Draft pick had one of the best individual seasons in school history, producing consistent numbers not seen by OU fans since the late Wayman Tisdale some quarter of a century ago.

On top of that, Capel said goodbye to point guard Austin Johnson and forward Taylor Griffin, seniors who started every game last year. Taylor Griffin was the team's second-leading rebounder and third-leading scorer, while Johnson paced the Sooners in assists and ranked fifth in scoring. The pair also shared the team lead in steals.

"It's going to be tough to replace that production," said Capel, who has the most wins (69) and the highest winning percentage (.676) in OU history through the first three years of tenure. "That trio provided so much for us in so many different areas. Obviously people will remember Blake with his scoring and rebounding, but we lost a lot of leadership with those guys, a lot of experience and a lot of intangibles."

So does all of that mean that Capel has tempered his enthusiasm for his fourth season in Norman?

Hardly.

The return of major scoring threats on the perimeter and the signing of what some analysts consider a top-five national recruiting class has Capel anxious for October and the start of practice.

"One of the many things I'm excited about is that we have talent coming back and we have some talented new guys coming in," he said. "We're going to be awfully young, but we definitely do have some ability.

"Our focus initially is going to be how to develop that talent, how to make us better. Then it will be how to mesh all the different parts together. Our players are going to have to understand how much they need each other."

Capel said he hopes his players have already gotten a jump on the process.

"I thought the foundation for last season was laid during the summer prior to it," he said. "I thought the way our guys worked and came together as a team that summer really led to us having the season we did. Hopefully this group is doing the same thing. If guys put in the time, I think we'll have a chance to be a really good team."

Backcourt

On paper, Oklahoma's strength in 2009-10 will be its guard play. Two returning starters, three returning reserves and a highly touted crop of freshmen should give the Sooners one of the best backcourts in the Big 12 Conference, if not the country.

Leading the way for OU's guards will be sophomore All-America candidate Willie Warren and senior all-conference possibility Tony Crocker. The pair, which combined for 70 starts last year, has shown an ability to score in bunches. Warren recorded seven games of at least 20 points as a freshman (including two of at least 30 points), while Crocker has scored at least 20 points nine times over the past two seasons.

Warren is a 6-4, 199-pound combo who was last season's unanimous choice as Big 12 Freshman of the Year after averaging 14.6 points and 3.1 assists per game. Named national freshman of the year by Athlon Sports, he shot .473 from the field and a team-high .372 from behind the arc while setting a school freshman record with 67 3-pointers. He was a seven-time Big 12 Rookie of the Week (one shy of the league record) and started all but two contests.

"Willie wants to be great," remarked Capel. "He's incredibly blessed and gifted. The things that he went through last year and his experiences will help him. I think he has a better understanding of how long a season is and how to prepare for one. I think he has the chance to be one of the premier players in the country. Actually, I already think he is, but now he'll have the chance to show all of the things he can do.

"My challenge to Willie has more to do with leadership -- the way he carries himself with everything, challenging teammates in a positive way and things of that nature. I think he has the capability to be a great player AND a great leader."

Crocker, who has already amassed 1,008 career points, has a legitimate chance to finish as one of OU's top 15 all-time scorers. The 6-6, 199-pound wing has started 95 of his 102 games, including all 36 last season when he averaged 9.6 points, 3.2 rebounds and 1.4 assists. He made 59 treys on the year (shot .349 from long range) and canned at least five 3-pointers on five occasions. According to Capel, Crocker, who netted a career-high 28 points against Syracuse in the Sweet 16 last March, can have a stellar senior campaign if he improves his consistency.

"At times he's been really good and at times he hasn't been quite as good," said Capel. "I'm a firm believer that if you work consistently that you'll have a better chance of becoming a more consistent player.

"Tony has a lot of experience and has seen it all, from his first year when we weren't as good to the last two years when we were much better. He grew up dreaming about playing for the University of Oklahoma and he's lived that dream. I certainly hope that he has a really good senior year and that we have a really good season for him. I hope that he takes ownership and has pride in making this a special season with it being his last go around."

Cade Davis is another veteran guard with the ability to knock down the 3-point shot. The 6-5, 198-pounder, who averaged 4.7 points in 14.6 minutes per outing last year as a sophomore, is probably best known for launching high-arching, long-distance bombs (he made 40 treys last year on .345 shooting). But Davis continues to work on his overall game, including the mental aspect. Capel thinks he needs to exhibit more consistency and confidence.

"Cade had a really good year for us and was absolutely fantastic in certain games," said the OU boss. "But I'd like to see more of those performances. One of the challenges for him is to turn games into practice. A lot of times in practice, Cade doesn't miss many shots. I think at times he's gotten nervous in games or felt pressure. We need to help him figure out how to turn games into those practices when he doesn't have a conscience as far as taking good shots. He needs to play with that kind of swagger all the time."

Sophomore Ray Willis also returns from OU's second-place Big 12 squad. A top-100 national recruit out of high school, the 6-6, 170-pound wing battled occasional off-the-court issues last year, including an August incident that left him with a partially collapsed lung. Willis showed promise in his 16 appearances, however, averaging 3.3 points and 1.4 rebounds in 6.4 minutes a game (that equates to 20.6 points and 8.9 rebounds per 40 minutes). He has a scorer's mentality.

"Ray's worked really hard this spring and summer. He's desperately trying to put on weight and he's done a good job of being a willing listener and learner. He's not afraid of work, he wants to be good and he certainly has some of the tools to do that. The big things with him are strength, gaining game experience and competing the right way all the time. If he can do those things he can have a really positive influence on our team."

Expected to deliver energy and a bit of flash to the point guard spot is freshman Tommy Mason-Griffin. One of two incoming McDonald's All-Americans, the 5-11, 203-pounder will be Capel's first true point guard at OU to see major minutes. Lightning quick and with the ability to set up teammates or score on his own, Mason-Griffin can hurt opponents in a variety of ways. He averaged 22.8 points, 5.3 assists, 4.4 rebounds and 3.7 steals per game as a high school senior and will challenge for a starting role.

"He's THE guy we wanted," said Capel of Mason-Griffin and the point guard spot. "He's played the position his whole life. He can really pass, he can really penetrate and he can really shoot. I saw him score 49 points and hit 11 3-pointers in a high school game last year. He was a McDonald's All-American for a reason. We think he has the chance to really impact this team."

Steven Pledger is another guard who's expected to create waves as a freshman. Less heralded nationally than Mason-Griffin, Pledger was still a top-100 recruit who last year averaged 21.5 points and shot .491 from 3-point range. He enters college with a reputation as a shooter, but with the ability to also put the ball on the floor and a desire to thrive on defense, Capel considers him an all-around player who will push for playing time.

"I knew Steven was good when we recruited him," began Capel of the 6-4, 221-pounder, "and that's been confirmed by some of our players who have told me this summer that they love playing with him. He has a really good feel for the game and he can shoot. He's a confident shooter. Because of that, sometimes people forget that he can put the ball on the floor and make some plays. Defensively, he has a sense of pride in guarding his guy and he has an understanding of how to do it. He has a very bright future."

Rounding out the backcourt are a pair of walk-ons in sophomore T.J. Franklin and freshman Ryan Randolph. At 5-11 and 167 pounds, Franklin is a pedal-to-the-metal point guard who saw action in 12 games last year. Capel said he appreciates his daily effort and reliability, and expects to feel the same way about the 6-4, 195-pound Randolph.

"I love T.J., how hard he works and what he provides our team in practice. He's a guy who's really gotten better, and I don't think that's a surprise because he probably works as hard as anyone in this program. I can depend on T.J. and I trust him. I trust putting him in a game. He can be a sparkplug.

"Ryan's also a great kid, a hard worker and a good player. He comes from a great family and a great high school program. He's been well coached. We've been lucky with the walk-ons we've had over the years and he fits right in with those guys."

Frontcourt

The Sooners' frontcourt lacks the experience and depth of the backcourt, but is not without capable producers.

The most veteran of a group of six players that will try to fill the void left by the Griffin brothers is senior forward Ryan Wright. A backup in all but one game last year (he started in place of an injured Blake Griffin against Kansas), the chiseled 6-9, 238-pound Wright is hungry to make his final collegiate season one filled with playing time and impact. Last year, Wright, who spent his freshman and sophomore seasons at UCLA after garnering top-100 status out of high school, averaged 1.8 points and 2.1 rebounds in 8.1 minutes per contest.

"I think Ryan's going to have a good year for us," said Capel. "Because he hadn't really played basketball in three years -- he played sparingly in his two years at UCLA and then sat out a year after transferring -- I think last year was maybe a little tough. At times he showed signs of being really good, especially when he had opportunities to play extended minutes. He's going to have the opportunity to earn a lot of playing time.

"He's an older guy, a leader. We don't have anyone who works harder or who wants it more. Because of that I'm cheering for him to have a great year."

Another returning reserve is junior Orlando Allen. The tallest player on the team at 6-10, Allen played sparingly last season after sitting out his sophomore year of junior college due to injury. In 19 games last year, he played an average of 4.6 minutes and contributed 1.8 points per outing on .577 field goal shooting. Playing time is expected to be a reward for the hard-working post man.

"Orlando really improved over the course of last season," remarked Capel. "I think that improvement is still ongoing, as he is reportedly having as good a summer as anyone. He's changed his body and he's gotten better. Like Ryan Wright, he benefited from playing against Blake and Taylor every day last year. One thing about Orlando is that he's not afraid to work. And he's as good a teammate we have as far as being there for everyone, supporting them and encouraging them. I think he's going to really help us this year."

The lone remaining veteran is senior and former walk-on Beau Gerber. Now on scholarship, the 6-8, 230-pound Gerber has personified sacrifice, working hard in practice for a shot at minimal playing time on game day. According to Capel, that court time could increase this year.

"Beau is one of my favorite players that I've ever coached. You talk about the epitome of a leader, a person being selfless -- that's him. If our players were in a foxhole and they got to choose three teammates to do battle with them, everyone one of them would pick Beau. You can depend on him. And he's become a good basketball player. I won't be afraid to put Beau in games this year because he knows everything he's supposed to do."

Capel hopes a trio of freshmen will help soften the blow of losing the Griffin brothers. Chief among the newcomers is 6-9, 300-pound forward Tiny Gallon. A McDonald's All-American who was last year's Gatorade Virginia Player of the Year at national runner-up Oak Hill Academy, Gallon averaged 16.0 points and 10.3 rebounds while shooting .591 from the floor. He was rated the nation's No. 9 overall recruit (No. 2 center) by Rivals.com. Plain and simple, he is one of the most highly regarded signees in school history.

Said Capel, "Tiny's a legit 6-9, has more than a seven-foot wingspan and is incredibly skilled with a unique set of gifts. He's not as athletic as Blake, but he's athletic. He can really pass the ball and he can shoot it. He has to allow himself to get better, allow himself to be coached and to be a great listener and a hard worker. I think he's going to do that and I think he's going to be very, very good for us."

Andrew Fitzgerald represents another skilled big body down low. Ranked No. 68 nationally by ESPN.com and No. 70 by Rivals.com, the 6-8, 261-pounder is a bruiser in the paint who also possesses the ability to hit the mid-range jumper with consistency. Fitzgerald averaged 22.5 points and 8.0 rebounds per game last year at Brewster (N.H.) Academy and earned first-team national prep school All-America honors. He also played in the Reebok All-American Game in April.

"All of our freshmen, and Andrew is one specifically, need to get into great shape," said Capel. "He's about 6-8, has over a seven-foot wingspan and can really shoot the ball out to about 15 feet. He's not going to out-athlete you, he's just going to outwork you and he's going to bang on you. He's physical. Andrew's going to have to get adjusted to the speed of the game and understand how hard you have to work and the importance of every possession. He has a chance to be a good one for us."

Another incoming freshman forward, Kyle Hardrick committed to OU almost immediately after Capel's arrival in 2006. Hardrick, who is 6-8 and weighs 215 pounds, won a class 6A Oklahoma state title last year at Putnam City High School when he averaged a double-double (10.3 points and 10.1 rebounds per contest). His skill set and feel for the game are a plus, but the fact he wasn't with the team during summer training will mean he'll have some catching up to do.

Said Capel, "Kyle's been a part of the Sooner family for a while now. He gives us a big body. I think he's going to continue to grow into his body and get stronger. As a basketball player, he can really do some things, including shoot the ball out to about 15 feet. He wasn't able to go through our summer program, so he'll come in a little bit behind. But down the road he could really help us."

Summary

Thirty-win seasons are difficult to improve upon, and with the loss of the national player of the year and two other starters, the Sooners may not accomplish the feat. But pairing an extremely strong backcourt with some capable big men should most certainly give OU confidence as it attacks another staunch schedule.

The squad's ultimate success depends on a variety of factors including health and development. Also, says Capel, it will hinge on chemistry and desire.

"Certainly I think the team has come together over the spring and summer," said the head coach, "and that's critical. One thing I'm worried about, though, is complacency. Two years ago we were embarrassed in the NCAA Tournament second round. That left a pretty sour taste in our mouth and it led to our guys not wanting to feel that way again. Last year, after our loss to North Carolina in the Elite Eight, I don't think we felt embarrassed. We felt hurt, but I don't think our guys felt embarrassed.

"When you win 30 games and have the kind of season we had -- on TV as much as we were, always on highlights and different things like that -- sometimes that can make you a little bit soft. That's one thing we have to guard against. We can't rest on what we did. We have to be hungry for more. We have to be hungry for the process of getting better."

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/081009aaa.html

Re: Summer preview!

"He's THE guy we wanted," said Capel of Mason-Griffin and the point guard spot. "He's played the position his whole life. He can really pass, he can really penetrate and he can really shoot. I saw him score 49 points and hit 11 3-pointers in a high school game last year. He was a McDonald's All-American for a reason. We think he has the chance to really impact this team."

:clap

:kelvin

Re: Summer preview!

Thought it was interesting that Beau is now on scholarship...Gotta love Capel...

I love this quote from Capel at the end! Especially the 2nd paragraph.

Jeff Capel said:
"Certainly I think the team has come together over the spring and summer," said the head coach, "and that's critical. One thing I'm worried about, though, is complacency. Two years ago we were embarrassed in the NCAA Tournament second round. That left a pretty sour taste in our mouth and it led to our guys not wanting to feel that way again. Last year, after our loss to North Carolina in the Elite Eight, I don't think we felt embarrassed. We felt hurt, but I don't think our guys felt embarrassed.

"When you win 30 games and have the kind of season we had -- on TV as much as we were, always on highlights and different things like that -- sometimes that can make you a little bit soft. That's one thing we have to guard against. We can't rest on what we did. We have to be hungry for more. We have to be hungry for the process of getting better."

Great read! It's pretty clear Capel is expecting a lot from our guards, as well he should. If OU's back court doesn't play well this team will be in big trouble. Tiny is good, but he can't carry a team for long periods in a game the way Blake did.

That said, I believe our front court is going to be better than most people think. My biggest concern is depth if Kyle is not able to contribute, so Beau had better be ready to play. Tiny Gallon is a star in the making if he works hard and is willing to do what is required of him to reach that level. I like what Coach said about RW, and I'm hoping he will come through with a great year. I'm just not convinced yet. I am extremely optimistic about Andrew Fitzgerald though. I think he could step in as a starter at the other post position by the beginning of conference play. I believe his work ethic, toughness, rebounding and his touch from fifteen feet and in will make keeping him on the bench difficult beyond the midway point of the season.

Back