Suns assign Taylor Griffin to D-League

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/12/07/20091207suns-taylor-griffin.html

Suns rookie forward Taylor Griffin will spend a week with the team's NBA Development League affiliate.

Griffin was assigned to the Iowa Energy on Monday after making his second appearance of the season in Sunday's loss at the Los Angleles Lakers.

Griffin, picked 58th overall in June, will practice with Iowa for three days and play a home-away series with Dakota on Friday and Saturday before returning to the Suns.

"It's just routine," Suns General Manager Steve Kerr said. "We want to get him a chance to play some games."

Kerr said he does not like long-term assignments to the D-League because of the separation from the Suns.

"He's valuable to us in practices," Kerr said. "He's a good practice player because he can play inside or outside."

Griffin, who is 6 feet 7, is making a transition from college power forward to pro small forward. Kerr said he has made progress with understanding when and where to shoot.

Thanks for the heads up OUHoops!

Good Luck, Taylor! And stay warm! Iowa can get cold this time of year.

Some people drastically underrated how valuable he was to the team last year, and how much this team has missed his inside presence this year. I hope to see Taylor succeed at the next level; he's more than deserving of it! :clap

Doesn't sound as bad as I thought. Glad they like having him with the program, I sure miss him at OU.

Saw that coming a mile away. Unless the Suns get depleted by injuries, Taylor won't get many minutes with the Big Club. He simply isn't skilled enough as a SF. Those of you that think he can guard Paul Pierce and the like are delusional.

Saw that coming a mile away. Unless the Suns get depleted by injuries, Taylor won't get many minutes with the Big Club. He simply isn't skilled enough as a SF. Those of you that think he can guard Paul Pierce and the like are delusional.
Haha, yea, cuz it's easy to get into and stay in the NBA. Those darn optimistic OU fans who hoped a four year guy could contribute.

Last edited:

Dude! He's in the NBA and no longer at OU. It's okay to let go of the criticism now... unless you're a Suns fan. Oh, and I can see your next negative post coming from half way across the state. If you don't have anything good to say...

If you don't have anything good to say...

Pretty sure I started a positive thread after last night's game.

Next?

I'm sorry, but for 3.5 years everybody looked at Taylor for exactly what he was. A good, solid, role player. For some reason during the last half of last year, some fans started talking him up like he was the main reason we were an Elite 8 team. Guys like Taylor, IMO, are a dime a dozen. Just b/c we aren't in a position to replace him this year, doesn't make him unreplaceable. I like Taylor, but a guy like him should be the first big off of OU's bench, not starting like he was last year. Luckily he was playing alongside the best player, and post man in the country last year, and therefore wasn't asked to do much. Compare him in that way to Jabahri Brown, Longar Longar, and Johnnie Gilbert. You let them play a VERY specific role on a team as the 5th offensive option out of the starters, or coming off the bench, and they are very good. You try to make them more than that, and they may produce, but you probably aren't a great team.

I like Taylor. I just don't see the NBA thing working out. Good kid, glad he is getting the taste that he is, but I don't see it lasting. Why can't I wish good things for the kid, but see the situation for what it is?

I love Steve Kerr right now. Man what a great year for the Griffin family.

Why can't I wish good things for the kid, but see the situation for what it is?

Only because you don't see the situation for what it is. You have an opinion about the situation (which you're more than entitled to), but on the grand scale, you're just an anonymous internet poster.

Call me crazy, but I'll take Steve Kerr's word over yours.

I'm sorry, but for 3.5 years everybody looked at Taylor for exactly what he was. A good, solid, role player. For some reason during the last half of last year, some fans started talking him up like he was the main reason we were an Elite 8 team. Guys like Taylor, IMO, are a dime a dozen. Just b/c we aren't in a position to replace him this year, doesn't make him unreplaceable. I like Taylor, but a guy like him should be the first big off of OU's bench, not starting like he was last year. Luckily he was playing alongside the best player, and post man in the country last year, and therefore wasn't asked to do much. Compare him in that way to Jabahri Brown, Longar Longar, and Johnnie Gilbert. You let them play a VERY specific role on a team as the 5th offensive option out of the starters, or coming off the bench, and they are very good. You try to make them more than that, and they may produce, but you probably aren't a great team.

I like Taylor. I just don't see the NBA thing working out. Good kid, glad he is getting the taste that he is, but I don't see it lasting. Why can't I wish good things for the kid, but see the situation for what it is?

Guys that make NBA and D League rosters are a dime a dozen?
This kid is an OU player. He bled OU for four years. He's an Oklahoma kid and a darn good kid from a great family. Nobody in this thread has even said he's anywhere near a NBA difference maker. Just updating us on his career....if it's okay with you we can do without the hate and negativity.
Move on to something with teeth...because Taylor Griffin sure the heck doesn't deserve it. An all time low even for you TU.

Guys that make NBA and D League rosters are a dime a dozen?
This kid is an OU player. He bled OU for four years. He's an Oklahoma kid and a darn good kid from a great family. Nobody in this thread has even said he's anywhere near a NBA difference maker. Just updating us on his career....if it's okay with you we can do without the hate and negativity.
Move on to something with teeth...because Taylor Griffin sure the heck doesn't deserve it. An all time low even for you TU.

Your jayhawk opinion doesn't mean squat to me.

I said Taylor wouldn't stick in the NBA. That is the ONLY negative thing I said about him. I said the same thing about Longar. I was right about him as well.

Take your attitude elsewhere. Quit trying to make nothing into something.

I said Taylor wouldn't stick in the NBA. That is the ONLY negative thing I said about him. I said the same thing about Longar. I was right about him as well.

Don't count your chickens just yet TU. Taylor isn't D-League for good.

This is absolutely ridiculous. So what that he's a jayhawk? Nothing in his post is untrue or unfounded. Maybe it takes a jayhawk first fan to get you to understand?

Cheno's not the only one with that opinion of your post.

Its no secret that I know Taylor personally and I can tell you he is excited for this opportunity and Kerr has high hopes for him as a role player. One thing I've learned over the years is to NEVER count Taylor out of anything!

Don't count your chickens just yet TU. Taylor isn't D-League for good.

Never said he was. Also never said he wouldn't make it back to the NBA this year, or next year, or the following year. I just don't think you'll ever see him getting more than the 14th or 15th roster spot, and generally only playing in blowouts or b/c of injuries.

He can't play PF in the NBA, and he does not have the skill set to be a starting SF, or probably even the primary backup at that position in the NBA. Where are his minutes going to come from? Is a 22-23 year old suddenly going to learn how to shoot jumpers?

I'm not knocking Taylor. I like him as a person, and liked him as a player at OU. Better OU players than Taylor.....MUCH better OU players than Taylor have never sniffed the NBA.

Never said he was. Also never said he wouldn't make it back to the NBA this year, or next year, or the following year. I just don't think you'll ever see him getting more than the 14th or 15th roster spot, and generally only playing in blowouts or b/c of injuries.

He can't play PF in the NBA, and he does not have the skill set to be a starting SF, or probably even the primary backup at that position in the NBA. Where are his minutes going to come from? Is a 22-23 year old suddenly going to learn how to shoot jumpers?
I'm not knocking Taylor. I like him as a person, and liked him as a player at OU. Better OU players than Taylor.....MUCH better OU players than Taylor have never sniffed the NBA.
He is better at knocking down jump shots than when he was a sophomore in college so he has shown improvement in the last 3 years. Give him some time in the NBA and he will probably improve his skills even more.

Back