The cold hard truth

Pledger averaged 6, 11, 16 and 12 ppg game while averaged 19, 30, 33 and 29 minutes per game.

Fitz averaged 5, 13, 12 and 6 ppg while averaging 16, 31, 28 and 15 minutes per game.

It's all coming back to me. I forgot how disappointing of a senior season they had

It's all coming back to me. I forgot how disappointing of a senior season they had

I think Lon realized right away that the program was a mess and that the freshman/young guys needed to play and develop in order for things to get back on track. I remember watching them scrimmage in LNC before the football team played ND, and I was initially shocked that Fitz was playing with the second unit. I figured it was just a matter of trying to even out the squads, but it turned out that was basically the way it played out during the season. Pledger had a really good junior season, but that was the only year he really shot the way he was capable. His other years were solid, but he was very streaky for a guy who had such a great looking shot.

Can’t wait until next preseason when all the posters on here tell us how deep our roster is. 10-11 player rotation - best depth in years. Lol!!! Happens every year. As far as Moser goes his style of play is brutal to watch. No way recruits are excited to come here to play. Based upon the turnover of assistant coaches nobody wants to be on his staff either. I give him one more season after this year.

Off topic but was cleaning out all vcr tapes and found and played the end of the famous OU-MU game where Billy told the crowd to stop throwing things on the court even if the officiating was bad.
OU 112-MU 105 A record crowd in LNC.
Maybe the year after the loss to KU in the natty game.
Is it possible to ever get back to that enthusiasm for OU basketball?

Not possible for several reasons but one of the biggest is that crowd was 25% students. During that time the student section was the entire northwest quadrant of the arena, both upper and lower bowls. And if you got there less than 30 minutes before game time for conference games you would be setting on the curve or end of the upper bowl.

Great times for sure.

when OU's best player plays terrible OU should get blown out and instead they lost by 3

The other thing about our offense: if you are going to play that slow, plodding style, which means very few possessions in the game, it is even more important to take care of the ball. Playing slow and turning the ball over a lot is as bad a combo as you can have.

Exactly you can’t turn the ball over especially when he sends no one to the offensive boards. We were ranked in the 330’s in offensive rebounding. It puts tremendous pressure on shooting if you don’t get many shots.
After the ISU game he talked about our great efficiency stats shooting the ball while saying we can’t have silly turnovers. Those stats are good but true efficiency is points per possession. If you turn it over and don’t rebound you get very few shots.
Bijan was a huge plus the other night. He isn’t a great player but he isn’t the problem. He is improving and will continue to improve.
Personally I like PM and think he can coach but the team needs to improve.

Totally agree Joe C doesn’t care about basketball. Yes he loved it when we made final 4’s but he doesn’t provide much support.

Agree with VBDAD. Lon seem seem very interested in offensive rebounding as well. Don't know enough basketball to know the answer to this, but maybe some of you do: How do you give more focus on offensive rebounding and still get back to defend in transition. It looks to me like that would be an either or situation, but maybe it isn't.

Bottom line for me, I like Porter and think we are improved, but need to continue to improve and be more consistent. Got to start winning our share of close games.

I know this doesn't help with this season, but I thought allday92's post was interesting re: play an easier schedule by moving to the SEC. I kind of took it as a humorous comment (especially since OU football fans say we're not ready for the SEC) and maybe a bit premature considering we just started conference play. However, I do expect brighter days (seasons) ahead when we get to the SEC.

This tweet only highlights how tough it is...
"Every single Big 12 team is currently in the KenPom top 40.

With a conference rating of +18.36, only 24 teams in the entire country would be expected to go .500 or better in Big 12 play.

Last-place Oklahoma (No. 37) would be projected to win 23 different D1 conferences."

Exactly you can’t turn the ball over especially when he sends no one to the offensive boards. We were ranked in the 330’s in offensive rebounding. It puts tremendous pressure on shooting if you don’t get many shots.
After the ISU game he talked about our great efficiency stats shooting the ball while saying we can’t have silly turnovers. Those stats are good but true efficiency is points per possession. If you turn it over and don’t rebound you get very few shots.
Bijan was a huge plus the other night. He isn’t a great player but he isn’t the problem. He is improving and will continue to improve.
Personally I like PM and think he can coach but the team needs to improve.

Totally agree Joe C doesn’t care about basketball. Yes he loved it when we made final 4’s but he doesn’t provide much support.

When talking offensive rebounding efficiency, it’s not just on our end. In the second half of the Texas game and against ISU, we allowed our opponents to turn their offensive rebounding into wins. ISU converted 10 offensive boards into 14 second chance points while we converted 7 boards into 4 points. Two of those second chance shots were 3 pointers.

I agree that Bijan only gets better with playing time. He may not be a great player, but he sees the court and has better instincts than anyone else on our team. He’s a pass first point and therefore doesn’t look for his shot except on the dribble drive.

Finally, I don’t understand the Joe C. not caring about basketball. He’s at almost every home game sitting next to Toby.

Last edited:
Lmao wrong. He will have at least 4 years to rebuild the dumpster fire he inherited.

Yeah, I chuckle a little under my breath every time someone proclaims that one of our coaches has just one more year to prove himself/herself or otherwise get sent packing. Seems we've got a few dozen Joe Castiglione look-alikes on the board.

This team/program is in trouble. For all the folks who wanted Lon to retire or be pushed out … how do you feel now? So many of you felt like making the tournament every year should be a given at OU and that the potential was there for so much more. Moser will miss the tourney as many times in two seasons as Lon did in a decade.

Never miss a chance to cry about Lon!!

To answer your question, I feel about the same as I have for a while. Lon was the king of mediocrity with a little bit of Buddy Hield sprinkled in. Am I happy with where the program is? No, but it's where we've been for the past 7 seasons.

Porter won 19 games with a dumpster fire roster last year, which is about on par with Lon, who averaged 16.8 wins per year in the 5 years post-Hield. Yes, Lon snuck into the NCAAs as a low seed, but Porter was one basket from making it with a less talented roster than any Lon had. Many even felt OU should have been in despite the Tech loss.

Outside of the first game this season, I'm not sure how you get too depressed. There's only been one loss that didn't come down to the final possession, and that was a top-10 team that OU had a shot at. Losing Sherfield will be painful, but Moser has another talented class coming in.

One more thing -- Lon couldn't hold Kelvin's jock strap.

Honestly, I have no idea how the team is doing this well. They damn near beat Texas, damn near beat Kansas... and the talent level is really bad. I've been really busy this year, but every time I check a score I wonder how the hell they did as well as they did.

They are 10-6.... and they could easily be 12-4 or 13-3, or they could easily be 8-8 or 7-9. They beat a 7-9 South Alabama team by 4, and lose to a top 5 Kansas team by the same margin. South Alabama was winning very late in the game.

They could be 0-4 in conference play, and they could be 4-0.

79-75 against KU on the road
68-63 in overtime against Tech
63-60 against ISU
70-69 against Texas

That's as close it gets... and OU has less talent and athletic ability than those teams.

I don't get it... I would have had them 0-4 in the league so far, which was definitely in play, but again, they could just as easily be 4-0.

Back